- 301 Posts. Joined 12/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productShure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphonetagged by piercer, 8/24/13
Related Forum Threads
- Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) Last post on Today at 4:14 am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Review of Apollo Audio Lab's Viper 6 - 6 BA drivers universal in-ear monitor Last post on 9/6/15 at 10:35am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure SE846 vs Noble Audio 6 (universal) - Time Sensitive! Last post on 2/20/15 at 8:03pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser's IE800 or Shure's SE846 Last post on 7/13/16 at 7:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Like New SHURE846 [Price Drop] Last post on 2/9/15 at 11:31pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Accutone is a company that specializes in hands-free communications solutions but they've taken their experience and expertise and used it to create a series of consumer earphones. From their...
IntroductionWhen I first reviewed Schiit Audio's original Modi/Vali stack many moons ago, I walked away very impressed to say the least. Not only was it a cost effective solution for the budding...
1. Introduction The Prophile-8, a 8 balanced armature in-ear monitor, is the new flagship from well-established German brand In-ear. So far the brand had an offering going from 2 to 4 driver...
Video Review It's not unusual to find a headphone or IEM manufacturer to branch out into making their own amps, and then their own cables, but Ken Ball is one of two people who have gone in...
Warm, good sounding player with no harshness. Spacious and natural sound. Easy to listen for long time without any fatigue. Fiio x5 II sounds more neutral and analytical with harshness on upper...
Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 183
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Great synergy with the new iBasso DX90 DAP.
Picked up detail, with the SE846 sounding very natural. The DX90 seeming to be a great vehicle for demonstrating the characteristics of the SE846.
+1. Auditioned the DX90 with my SE846 and was literally blown away with the synergy they have compared to my DX50. Will have to start saving for that now.
Which filters do you guys use with it?
My brother says the difference between the DX50 and DX90 did not warrant the asking price, but it's all subjective I suppose.
And here I thought my music determined those factors.... If my player started determined those I call it broken and buy a new one!
Indeed it could be a deal maker or breaker. The AK's PRaT, I thought at the time, is nigh on perfect. In saying that, firmware updates have altered the synergy hence if I go all out, I would want to downgrade with ease if I so choose. This PRaT concept is also perhaps one differential between the iPhone and AK's synergy with the 846 that I could not put my finger on.
Edited by Black Label - 5/26/14 at 5:47am
PRaT is a little too esoteric for me.
Even focusing in on a DAC is too technical for me. Perhaps if everything else in two different players were exactly the same (except for the DAC), I could then zero in on the effects of the DAC itself. Digital to analog conversion seems like such a mundane task. All I know is one DAP may pair well with a particular earphone (and particular software player) to reproduce toe-tappin' sounds (and an other DAP---not so much).
I did notice (years ago) that my Dell Axim X51V played faster than my stereo so I downloaded software players with pitch and speed control (and voila). I could then slow music down to the the speed of radio station playback.
What I use to like most about my Galaxy S2 and 535 pairing was areas of emphasis and tactile-like feedback in just the right spots (for me) in popular and rhythm & blues music. I'm still trying to get to that place with the 846. So far, the 846 works best with the Note 3 (with V4A and Powerramp). Tomorrow I should be receiving my DX90. We shall see if all the talk about synergy will be to my liking.
I also went through three pairs of IE8s over the course of four years; one replaced out of pocket, the other by warranty. Durability (or lack thereof) matters aside, with amping and EQing I was entertained throughout the duration, however as time went on I yearned for a step up. The more I reflect, the more I see how the IE800s were ultimately unsatisfactory in more ways than one, even if they are deserving of the high -end audio title. A step up indeed, but then a slight and potentially fatal shimmy to the side. The 846s caught me on the first bounce.
Truckdriver: I look forward to reading your impressions of the DX90. PRaT is I suppose one of those intangible things, particularly for those of us (myself included) whose knowledge of music theory is only rudimentary. Unfortunately (partial) blindness has not been a golden ticket to musical talent, but I digress. However, I do (believe) I have the heightened sense of hearing that results from the loss of another sense*, hence marked or subtle differences in presentation can either emphasise or tarnish an aural experience. I am therefore quite happy to drop over a grand on something if the ends of further heightened sensory indulgence justify the means, but spending half of that would be preferable.
I only wish Jaben had Dire Straits' "Sultans of Swing" or "The Telegraph Road" (two absolute favourites and both serve as auditioning acid tests for everything) in addition to Brothers in Arms loaded onto its AK120 demo unit.
* It occurred to me, while wearing the 846s, that there is an intrinsic link between the sense of hearing and touch. I shan't bore anyone with further elaboration.
Another in for the DX90...With both my CIEM's and my 846's, it blows the DX50 away. Well worth the price, I'm glad it came out as I was on the brink of purchasing an AK100/120 after not being a huge fan of the DX50's sound.
- Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
- › Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled! 18 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 33 seconds ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 48 seconds ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 57 seconds ago
- › Objectivists board room 1 minute ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 1 minute ago
- › Looking for a decent 2.0/2.1 audio setup, max £250 total 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 5 minutes ago
- › TY Hi-Z G3 by loomisjohnson
- › Accutone Pisces BA Hybrid IEM by crabdog
- › Schiit Modi Multibit by Trogdor
- › InEar ProPhile 8 by Mimouille
- › Campfire Audio Vega by Currawong
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr. Hi-Res Music Player 64GB by vincik
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by subguy812
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by suman134
- › Fostex TH 900 by Scott Branham
- › AKG K403 by IkuMiku96
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear