or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 176

post #2626 of 16769

Thank you for shedding some clarity on my question.  I'm really wondering if I should simply replace my stock Shure SE 846 cable with a custom balanced version of the sliver litz cable from either Ted's or the Double Helix DHC Symbiote SP V2 Pure OCC Silver Type 4 Litz IEM cable.  This cable was a eye popping $575 a week ago now $609 lol.  That's a lot of money!  Really wondering if the entire cable game is a total rip-off.  Ted's cable seems better priced and DHC is way expensive.  Wondering about sound quality differences between the two or others   

 

Sincerely,

Speedracer1

post #2627 of 16769
I would demo the fit if flush fit is a criteria...or buy from a store with a liberal return policy.

Now for really dumb question. Why do folks sleep with iems. Is it ambient noise like living next to a train or what? Just curious.

Cheers
post #2628 of 16769

Can some one please measure the width and length as marked in the picture below?

Also the nozzle seems to be at a 40/45 degree angle, how does the IEM sits against your ears does it make full contact against your ears or does it goes out toward the back?

 

Owning  Vsonic gr07 with adjustable nozzle I use them with about 30 degree angle...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Coupe View Post

I would demo the fit if flush fit is a criteria...or buy from a store with a liberal return policy.

Now for really dumb question. Why do folks sleep with iems. Is it ambient noise like living next to a train or what? Just curious.

Cheers

I usually listen to music or podcasts and fall asleep with them, of course it is great to attenuate noises like the annoying barking dog or gardener who start working way too early... , I personally don't live next to a train.


Edited by ForceMajeure - 5/20/14 at 4:55pm
post #2629 of 16769
I am not game enough to sleep with them in as a sideways sleeper myself. Being able to do so with the IE8s and IE800s was great.

Completely filterless, eh? I'm en route to the city now so might give it a shot! I agree that with the white filter (albeit with stock cable) is indeed musical, not harsh or bright at all for the most part.
Edited by Black Label - 5/20/14 at 9:30pm
post #2630 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post


I predominately use the white filter with OCC silver litz and do not find the sound too bright. Silver litz brings a clarity and sharpness to the entire frequency from sub bass to high treble. I think some may interpret the added clarity as brightness but careful listening will show the detail but not any added brightness.

 

After giving my Silver Litz balanced cable from Ted's Headphone lounge 12+ hours of burn-in, I think I like the stock, non-balanced cable. I need to try the regular cable again to make sure. Seems like the high-end frequencies are cut off now, but maybe this is because I have a cold and my ears could be a little plugged up. Will bring both on my 13 hour plane ride and try to decide....My source is an AK240...

 

Y2J

post #2631 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceMajeure View Post
 

I"m really considering these lately, but If they aren't comfortable enough to sleep with it will be a no go.

 

If you don't sleep on your sides, then the Shure SE846 should be fine. Else I would look elsewhere if you want IEM's for sleeping.

post #2632 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiller511 View Post


I was using the white filters and then i talked to Shure who told me using filters is optional and i have since removed mine. I use EQ anyway so i would rather have the sound straight from the drivers. Anyone saying the 846 does not have enough sparkle needs to dump the filters. It has plenty. I much prefer going filterless. Only reason i would use the filters is for sources that i cannot EQ.

 

How does it sound without the filter? And will this leave the drivers unprotected from ear wax?

post #2633 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jdmbfan View Post

After giving my Silver Litz balanced cable from Ted's Headphone lounge 12+ hours of burn-in, I think I like the stock, non-balanced cable. I need to try the regular cable again to make sure. Seems like the high-end frequencies are cut off now, but maybe this is because I have a cold and my ears could be a little plugged up. Will bring both on my 13 hour plane ride and try to decide....My source is an AK240...

Y2J

That is interesting because that is similar to the way I felt when I first used my silver litz. I was not all happy with the sound to the point I promised to send them to M Coupe (a fellow Headfier here). Two days later when I actually sent them I felt if I was parting with my child because the sound really changed.
post #2634 of 16769

Got my 2nd pair today after sending back the defective one. This one isn't defective :etysmile:

The quality on the inscriptions of frequencies and labels on both pairs were pretty subpar, hard to see without a light source and a stern gaze. The only one that is easily clear is the driver that SHURE on it and is labeled 02. Also the drivers look cleaner in the pictures. 

post #2635 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubs28 View Post
 

 

How does it sound without the filter? And will this leave the drivers unprotected from ear wax?

 

 

Definitely different.  For the most part, I'd say it affects the 1k to 16k frequencies.  At first listen they are pronounced to the point that they sounded harsh to me.  Whereas I have this range slightly elevated on the EQ, they became almost flattened, and still sounded a little to pronounced at that.  I tried my best to dial in vocals using my standard Heart and Niel Diamond test songs but never felt that I got them where I wanted them. After a while, I switched back to the white filters.  I like bright, but going filterless didn't work for me.  Maybe when I have more time to play with the EQ I might try it again, but the fact is, I like the sound with the bright filters just fine.  Vocals sound amazing, detailed and realistic, as does acoustic guitars, other strings and the higher frequency drums.  I tried it not out of a want for more, but more because I was curious as to what the 846s sounded like raw and unencumbered.  I have yet to find something I do not like about the SE846 or anything I wish was better.

 

My main complaint now is with my music collection 300+ gigabytes big.  A lot of the music was ripped a long time ago when MP3 players had very limited storage (32-128mb) and file size was the primary focus.  Since then, storage has gotten dirt cheap and audio equipment has reached an unprecedented state of excellence.  Once ripped, I got rid of the CDs so I am now stuck with listening to lot of 128kb bit rate.  Maybe 40% of what I have is 320kb or higher.  That said, I listen to a hell of a lot of 128kb songs that sound unbelievable regardless.  It is hard to find something that doesn't sound amazing on the Shures.


Edited by rmiller511 - 5/21/14 at 9:21am
post #2636 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Coupe View Post

I would demo the fit if flush fit is a criteria...or buy from a store with a liberal return policy.

 

 

 

I agree whole heartidly.  It's quite a bit of money to spend on something that does not meet your needs and can be used in the intended manner.  Make no mistake, these things are fat.  Significantly fatter than my SE215s or W4rs.  Out of curiosity, I placed my hand flat against my ear and pressed and they felt ok although the sound changed quite a bit.

post #2637 of 16769

I was reading through a couple of the SE846 reviews and ran across one, I think the Forbes review, that had nothing but solid praise for the 846 sound but also stated that it (the sound) started falling apart at high volume levels - levels elevated to a near dangerous point.

 

I don't find that statement true.  Does anyone else agree with the review?

post #2638 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiller511 View Post

I was reading through a couple of the SE846 reviews and ran across one, I think the Forbes review, that had nothing but solid praise for the 846 sound but also stated that it (the sound) started falling apart at high volume levels - levels elevated to a near dangerous point.

I don't find that statement true.  Does anyone else agree with the review?

Earlier today I was listening to Sepultura: Arise at a volume that may have approached dangerous levels (my definition may be different to that of others as I have rather sensitive hearing) and the sound did not sem as though it were "falling apart". The bitrate of the mp3s in question is 320 as well.

One notch louder and things might be different however one notch further would be way, way too much for me, hence I didn't go there.

Did the reviewer make mention of the source in use?
Edited by Black Label - 5/20/14 at 9:41pm
post #2639 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post


Earlier today I was listening to Sepultura: Arise at a volume that may have approached dangerous levels (my definition may be different to that of others as I have rather sensitive hearing) and the sound did not sem as though it were "falling apart". The bitrate of the mp3s in question is 320 as well.

One notch louder and things might be different however one notch further would be way, way too much for me, hence I didn't go there.

Did the reviewer make mention of the source in use?

 

I don't recall whether he did or not.  Will have to go back and check.

 

All I can say is that I am no stranger to danger when it comes to musical volume levels and would have to say that the 846s sound the same at high levels, just louder.  no lose of defintion, no distortion, no clipping....nothing.

 

What I can also say is that I have deliberately pushed the bass on the SE846s - heavy, deep bass, boosted and EQ'd at near full volume - conditions that would cave so many other IEMs in, and the 846s handle it fine.

post #2640 of 16769

Well "technically", the 846 has high distortion in the most sensitive area to the ear around 3-4k, which will be more audible at higher volume. I didn't get to test this myself, though it's timbre did remind me of the high distortion Phonak. Maybe they heard it and somehow it was missed in your case, tricky thing about distortion is that it's more apparent with ABX with a low distortion counterpart otherwise it can be overlooked. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread