or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 174

post #2596 of 17052
spook76 & rmiller511: I would have been crushed. The circumstances would have been as extreme as they were understandable though.

The Stones postponed their tour of Australia due to Mick Jagger's ex mistress passing which gives mea second chance in acquiring a ticket.

I have to say the W4s certainly are polarising. I liked them when using an amp and EQu, but otherwise it was "yeah, nah." I will probably audition the W60s but it's very hard seeing them (or much else) topping the SE846.
post #2597 of 17052
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post

I have to say the W4s certainly are polarising. I liked them when using an amp and EQu, but otherwise it was "yeah, nah." I will probably audition the W60s but it's very hard seeing them (or much else) topping the SE846.

 

My DIY cable maker, a guy I trust a lot, gave me his unsolicited comments that the new Westones were the worst he ever heard... Really strange feedback. What's the general view of them on these forums?


Edited by jelt2359 - 5/19/14 at 7:18pm
post #2598 of 17052

I've had my Shure SE -846's for about 2 months now (really loving them).  Over the weekend I compared them against the JH Roxanne's and the JH 13 Pro FreqPhase and after many hours of listening to alot of different music, I concluded the Shure sound is representative of it's outer shell.  Specifically the sound is clean, clear, balanced, timing and attack with command and simply sound more musically accurate then the JH IEM's.  Just simply stunning.

 

Now I'm going to purchase the AK240 with the RWA mod and I'm thinking about replacing my stock Shure cables with balanced 2.5mm cables but before I go off and spend $ 575 usd for DHC or something else does anyone know the actual construction of the Shure factory SE 846 cable?  It looks to me like a combination of sliver and copper inside but I'm simply guessing.  

 

Comments/guidance is very much appreciated.

 

Sincerely,

Speedracer1

post #2599 of 17052
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelt2359 View Post

My DIY cable maker, a guy I trust a lot, gave me his unsolicited comments that the new Westones were the worst he ever heard... Really strange feedback. What's the general view of them on these forums?

Wow, that's quite the indichtment! I am even more keen to audition them now. biggrin.gif I will naturally reserve judgement but it certainly appears there is a consensus that the quality of BA drivers is far more important than quantity.
post #2600 of 17052
Question for the commuters: how much does the SE846 leak?
post #2601 of 17052
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post

Question for the commuters: how much does the SE846 leak?

 

I've never understood the notion of any universal leaking- as long as you get a proper fit, all the tips are meant to prevent leaking by filling the empty space.. Once the fit is okay, the key is it staying in place and the comfort. My Shures are very similar to my UM3x in that sense, just ever so slightly bigger. Another reason I love the Shure SE846- the form factor is pretty good.

 

On the other hand customs are much more of a mixed bag, especially when you walk around and turn your head to different angles, etc.

post #2602 of 17052
I thought that might be the case as my IE800s leaked, but only slightly, due to the small amount of space exposed beneath the earpiece. Only the passenger next to me might have been subjected to leakage if they were unlucky, rather than the entire carriage.

I forget who asked (apologies): the IE800s are very good, but not great. It pains me to say this a lot as the customer relationship I had with Sennheiser could certainly be described as great, however the degrading cable was anything but. In terms of sound, the IE800s were missing the sub bass slam that I yearned for. Instrument separation: the SE846s leave them for dead, too imho.
post #2603 of 17052

I travel two hours each way and I have zero issues using the black olives.  Perfect really!

post #2604 of 17052
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer1 View Post

I travel two hours each way and I have zero issues using the black olives.  Perfect really!

Approximately zero issues this end now as well. The ache in my left ear once felt when inserting is no more, thank goodness. I thought that would get worse before it got better.

This is what my IE800s looked like after just six weeks:

post #2605 of 17052

It would appear (by the Innerfidelity measurements) that there are two versions of the IE800 (the latest having better sub-bass).

 

On the new BA earphones, there appears to be a theme with the W50, S-EM6, the Roxanne, and so on. That theme is thick, “dark”, and warmer. Perhaps it is progress in the new BAs. I guess people will go kicking and screaming into a more realistic natural note weight and tonality. If they give the “brain-burn” a chance, they'll one day look back and wonder how they use to listen to such bright and thin IEMs.

 

Even with the 846, people describe the white filter as “neutral” , the blue as “warm” (ha ha), and the black filter as “dark” (of all things). I'm going to go with Jerry Harvey, Westone, Earsonics, and Shure on the description of their IEMs this time.

post #2606 of 17052
I recall someone saying the renewed IE800s also came with a different protective case and the cable issue has been addressed. Too late was the cry, at least in my case. smily_headphones1.gif

With my eyesight I do not want to risk anything by attempting filter changes myself, but it would be interesting to see whether or not I would enjoy the blacks or blues. I might have Jaben assist me and spend an hour or two lounging in the store with different sound. Pity they don't have a proper armcgair! tongue.gif
Edited by Black Label - 5/20/14 at 6:37am
post #2607 of 17052

I'm thinking about replacing my stock Shure cables with balanced 2.5mm cables but before I go off and spend $ 575 usd for DHC or some other crazy cable does anyone know the actual construction of the Shure factory SE 846 cable?  It looks to me like a combination of sliver and copper inside but I'm simply guessing.  

 

Comments/guidance is very much appreciated.

 

Sincerely,

Speedracer1

post #2608 of 17052
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer1 View Post
 

I'm thinking about replacing my stock Shure cables with balanced 2.5mm cables but before I go off and spend $ 575 usd for DHC or some other crazy cable does anyone know the actual construction of the Shure factory SE 846 cable?  It looks to me like a combination of sliver and copper inside but I'm simply guessing.  

 

Comments/guidance is very much appreciated.

 

Sincerely,

Speedracer1

 

If I remember correctly it's just normal copper with a Teflon coating.

post #2609 of 17052

I'm looking for a great universal iem. I'm contemplating the SE846 and have a few questions, for anyone who has time. I've referenced some other iems and headphones, if it helps.

  • Are there any string fanatics out there who've owned the SE846? How does it do with string quartets or cello sonatas? 
  • What over-ear headphone do you find it most like? I've owned the HD600, HD650, Q701, K702, SRH1840, SRH1540, Alpha Dog, Mad Dog 3.2, DT880 600, if that helps.
  • Is the SE846 for me? I like the treble of the ER4S, the mids of the SE535 and the bass of the W4R. The ER4S has too little bass, and especially subbass for my taste, the SE535 has weird timber and rolled-off highs that are fine with rock and folk, but a disaster with strings; and the W4R really does have a strange warmth/veil that is too foggy for my taste. I hate recessed mids. My perfect headphone has probably been the Alpha Dog (besides comfort); besides that, it has been a toss up of the HD600 and SRH1840--the sonic area between those two would be bliss, especially with the headband of the HD600 and fit of the SRH1840.
  • Any quality control issues so far? I'm not in love with the one-year warranty. 

Thanks all! 

post #2610 of 17052
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post
 

I'm looking for a great universal iem. I'm contemplating the SE846 and have a few questions, for anyone who has time. I've referenced some other iems and headphones, if it helps.

  • Are there any string fanatics out there who've owned the SE846? How does it do with string quartets or cello sonatas? 
  • What over-ear headphone do you find it most like? I've owned the HD600, HD650, Q701, K702, SRH1840, SRH1540, Alpha Dog, Mad Dog 3.2, DT880 600, if that helps.
  • Is the SE846 for me? I like the treble of the ER4S, the mids of the SE535 and the bass of the W4R. The ER4S has too little bass, and especially subbass for my taste, the SE535 has weird timber and rolled-off highs that are fine with rock and folk, but a disaster with strings; and the W4R really does have a strange warmth/veil that is too foggy for my taste. I hate recessed mids. My perfect headphone has probably been the Alpha Dog (besides comfort); besides that, it has been a toss up of the HD600 and SRH1840--the sonic area between those two would be bliss, especially with the headband of the HD600 and fit of the SRH1840.
  • Any quality control issues so far? I'm not in love with the one-year warranty. 

Thanks all! 

 

Sounds like the 846 will do great if you don't like the warm westone signature. W4r sounds non existent next to the 846s. In my opinion the 846 sounds excellent with strings, excellent texture on violins!

 

Unfortunately I have only demoed some of the headphones you mentioned like hd650, dt880 and a pair of shures I don't remember the model number, but I think it's the 1540. The 846 are clean and clear with the white filters, and don't remind me of any of them. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread