or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 171

post #2551 of 16743
Thanks. Already the 846 have a bit too much isolation at work. So custom sleeves may not work great for me. Comfort is fine stock.
post #2552 of 16743
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post



Jelt I am sorry about your original SE846 but great to see the father of this thread back. As you know, I like you bought my SE846 back in August 2013 and mine like a lot of the first batch failed in one ear.



I received a new set of 846s (Shure replaced both IEMs) in Janrary, 2014 and I do feel it was a different sound than the originals. The new 846, with the white filter, had a greater tonal balance with an improved treble response than the original. Was it night and day, no but it was a material difference and I would say improvement over my original SE846.

 



What's the S/N number of your new set, if you don't mind?
post #2553 of 16743
Quote:
Originally Posted by abchead View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post



Jelt I am sorry about your original SE846 but great to see the father of this thread back. As you know, I like you bought my SE846 back in August 2013 and mine like a lot of the first batch failed in one ear.



I received a new set of 846s (Shure replaced both IEMs) in Janrary, 2014 and I do feel it was a different sound than the originals. The new 846, with the white filter, had a greater tonal balance with an improved treble response than the original. Was it night and day, no but it was a material difference and I would say improvement over my original SE846.

 



What's the S/N number of your new set, if you don't mind?

I only received the two new IEMs sealed in pouches from Shure in January not the entire box with the accessories. Obviously, there was no serial number.
post #2554 of 16743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post
 


I'm using my old SE535 Custom Sleeves with the SE846. These seem to be an excellent fit. I've only had the SE846 for a week so a bit early. So far, just like the SE535, they are fantastic for isolation but only minimally better tonally than the olives in my ears.They were made by a UK outfit ACS. Cost £120 including impression costs.

Would you mind sharing a picture of your SE846's with the custom sleeves? I'm thinking about getting custom sleeves as well. 

post #2555 of 16743

This was in the other thread...

 

Pass for me ;)

post #2556 of 16743
Perhaps Shure modifying the 846s is the reason as to why they were so delayed in being exported to Australia.
post #2557 of 16743
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by milford30 View Post

On the box, it states white filters made in USA, cleaning tool made in Taiwan, everything else made in China.... weird how the white filter sounds significantly more exciting than the blue ones

Actually it says white triple flange sleeves molded in USA. Not filters.
post #2558 of 16743
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexxarCHL View Post


The company is Sensaphonics, and from their website the cost is $150 for a pair.
I don't have any experience with it, yet judging from online reviews, it's more of a comfort upgrade than a sounding upgrade.
Looks kinda weird in the silicon sleeves too.

 

Thanks for the info.  I am going to look into this - just so that I know.  I can't imagine the sound improving, but doing away with universal tips sounds appealing.

post #2559 of 16743
What about a full custom reshell? Or would that just ruin the sound quality?
post #2560 of 16743
I'll take a few pics of my ACS sleeves for you aLmOsT .
They look very similar to those posted by Solude. Maybe be useful to have a visual comparison.
Yes, agreed, they're not the most elegant pieces of audio kit - maybe even a bit nerdy rolleyes.gif ???
post #2561 of 16743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoeiii View Post

Thanks. Already the 846 have a bit too much isolation at work. So custom sleeves may not work great for me. Comfort is fine stock.

Lucky you, as far as I am concerned there's no such things as "too much isolation at work" :) :P

post #2562 of 16743

It is 3:30 am in the morning in Seattle right now, I woke up just want to listen to my SE846 set-up. I realize I am pretty serious about this stuff. After dinner today, my wife and I went through a lots of my old (best) CD collections with my McIntosh and Tannoy set-up and nothing has (or beat) the engagement of the my modest computer rig with SE846. That is ridiculeous, a $300 DAC/headphone amp set-up. I have been a member of head-fi since 2004 and went through few gears through out the years and I told my wife I can rest here with SE846 for a while until they come up with next flagship.

 

SE846 is not perfect of course, they do not have the feeling of space like speakers do. My next project is a "hight power" SET amp: http://www.toneimports.com/lmaudio/219ia.html with a set of DIY speakers... but it can not beat the price to performance ratio and convenience of the SE846 set-up.

 

Also, the current trend of (the number of) driver war is unproven and stupid I think.


Edited by Seamaster - 5/18/14 at 5:39pm
post #2563 of 16743

Got a new pair of SE846 a few days ago. Really impressed with how they sound (No HD800s :tongue_smile:) but than I realized there was this hissing sound on the left monitor whenever low frequency notes were playing (compared multiple songs between HD800, MDR-EX1000, and LCD-2, don't think its cause of the Low Pass Filter either cause it only occurs on the left side). Returning it and ordered a new one. Hopefully this time it's perfect (If this set isn't perfect gonna try the JH Audio Roxannes Universal) :( 

post #2564 of 16743
Thread Starter 
So the airport called. They'd found my ipad and earphones. The new shures are being returned now. Let's see if the old ones sound the same with the white filters smily_headphones1.gif
post #2565 of 16743
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelt2359 View Post

So the airport called. They'd found my ipad and earphones. The new shures are being returned now. Let's see if the old ones sound the same with the white filters smily_headphones1.gif

Alien called and said they've modified your 846 and made it sound even more amazing! lol jk

Anyway congrats on reuniting with your 846 and iPad! :) 


Edited by RexxarCHL - 5/18/14 at 9:17am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread