Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 164

post #2446 of 5569

Sounding really good out of the DX90. Can't believe this DAP only cost me £268.

post #2447 of 5569
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundblast75 View Post

I got my Litz cable from Ted Allen and i am so thrilled guys,it is out of this world good,such quality,846 sound like i never imagined possible,i already loved them with the stock,but this is heaven:)
Also got a small audio cable and made my amps shine beyond believe
One very happy customer:))))


Shhh...people are more than willing to pay a ton more for less. I don't want our wait times to get too large :P

 

On a serious note, aside from amazing sound, I did look at a couple other areas that may interest people-

 

1.  Microphonics- basically non-existant with Ted's cables

2.  I did a highly scientific test where I took the mid point of the stock cable and let it rest over a pencil.  Then I repeated with Ted's cable.  It was amazing to see how much more flexible Tedd's cables were than stock.  Why do I care?  Well I travel a ton and have a cable that can flex and bend with me is a major plus.  I still remember my solid silver cables with my 535s in airports going thud in my earphones everytime I touched them.  With Ted's cable, I get a major upgrade in sound and portability. (BTW, if anyone wants to see my prospective nri study with pencil test...I can photograph the difference...the sound, well hearing is believing).


Edited by M Coupe - 5/14/14 at 5:40pm
post #2448 of 5569
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiller511 View Post

 

....

 

One last observation -

 

Anyone who would balk or complain about the price tag really doesn't deserve to own them.  Find a new past time.

 

Amen brother, amen.

Oh to live in an age when such a small, portable yet enormous (on the inside) wonder  is not just imagined or available to a rarified few, but immediately available to any and all who desire its promise - a musical TARDIS.

It does pay to be born into the right century.

post #2449 of 5569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Burns View Post

 

It does pay to be born into the right century.

 

agreed.  who woulda thunk it, huh.

post #2450 of 5569
Quote:
Originally Posted by romnation View Post
 

Question for those of you that have the SE846s: How is the isolation? With proper fitting sleeves would the isolation be good enough to use these on the train/subway?

 

Definitely!  These passed the Melbourne tram test with aplomb!  Only the loudest thumps are really noticeable and even then you will be so engrossed in your music you won't notice a thing when travelling by antiquated urban rail of any kind.

 

I cannot remember if I have worn these going through the loop (the only three underground stations here) but either way I am sure they would pass the wheels-screeching-along-the-tracks test as well.

 

Greater isolation is a real revelation for me having made the move from Sennheiser.  I am still getting used to using them when walking around the city as it is that much harder hearing surrounding noise including traffic light indicators (I now place my hand above the button to feel for vibration to indicate whether or not it is safe to cross the street).  I might have to take them out altogether when walking through town though; the Sennheisers' isolation was such that I could still hear and feel important yet less tangible audible signals.

 

The price tag:  We are looking at the audio equivalent of the highest performing television sets here; I would go as far to say those that re $10k.  Whatever.  You be the judge of relativity; I hate this overly stimulated, force fed visual society in which we live (and would probably say the same if i did not have a profound vision impairment).  I often tell people that these things are undervalued (back and forth baulks are hence exchanged).  I am certainly glad that they are at a relatively accessible price point, however the statement is to emphasise the fact that they are worth every penny and worth a damn sight more adulation than any AMOLED instrument of en masse brainwashing.


Edited by Black Label - 5/14/14 at 7:37pm
post #2451 of 5569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Burns View Post
 

It does pay to be born into the right century.

Amen to that 

post #2452 of 5569

My experience with pure silver cable from nocaudio.com with standard filter was too bright for long term use.   I prefer the copper, which  has less harsh sounding but bit muddy bass definition.    Ended up with  Universe Pro: 6X Silver-plated Super Annealed High Purity Copper Stranded Wire in Spiral Weave from Song's Audio.  So far it has been the best .. wondering  fir Silver Litz from Ted will have less harsh highs.  

post #2453 of 5569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-gt View Post

My experience with pure silver cable from nocaudio.com with standard filter was too bright for long term use.   I prefer the copper, which  has less harsh sounding but bit muddy bass definition.    Ended up with  Universe Pro: 6X Silver-plated Super Annealed High Purity Copper Stranded Wire in Spiral Weave from Song's Audio.  So far it has been the best .. wondering  fir Silver Litz from Ted will have less harsh highs.  

I just received my 2.5 balanced cable from ALO... "copper"...very nice looking cable first sound impressions are it's the way to go as I'm using the white filter so I thought that the copper cable would set it off just right....and I was correct☺️.....
post #2454 of 5569

Yeah good choice, I really think for balanced sounding out of SE846.  Copper is the way to go for long term listening.  Silver does provide more details and brightness but not to my liking.

post #2455 of 5569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-gt View Post

Yeah good choice, I really think for balanced sounding out of SE846.  Copper is the way to go for long term listening.  Silver does provide more details and brightness but not to my liking.

Well I love the white filter or rather the detail it gives I didn't want to make it even brighter than it is already .....the blue filter is to me a little too treble light in some regards, but with some music it's fine...I just found myself going back to the white filter over and over so I stuck with it and ordered an ALO balanced copper cable for the AK240 now I've only just received it but after the short listening I've done I love it
post #2456 of 5569
Silver is too bright for most cans,has to be copper
post #2457 of 5569
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Coupe View Post


Shhh...people are more than willing to pay a ton more for less. I don't want our wait times to get too large :P

On a serious note, aside from amazing sound, I did look at a couple other areas that may interest people-

1.  Microphonics- basically non-existant with Ted's cables
2.  I did a highly scientific test where I took the mid point of the stock cable and let it rest over a pencil.  Then I repeated with Ted's cable.  It was amazing to see how much more flexible Tedd's cables were than stock.  Why do I care?  Well I travel a ton and have a cable that can flex and bend with me is a major plus.  I still remember my solid silver cables with my 535s in airports going thud in my earphones everytime I touched them.  With Ted's cable, I get a major upgrade in sound and portability. (BTW, if anyone wants to see my prospective nri study with pencil test...I can photograph the difference...the sound, well hearing is believing).
Haha i agree, had my concerns about that and intend to get more from him very soon before it jumps in price like the london property market:)
Shhh..tho..
post #2458 of 5569

Sounds to me like if I go with a silver cable I might as well go back to the Sennheiser IE800 hehehe.  Copper it is then! :)

post #2459 of 5569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post

Sounds to me like if I go with a silver cable I might as well go back to the Sennheiser IE800 hehehe. 
Copper it is then! smily_headphones1.gif
I own the iE800 too I just sent them in under warranty for cable issues or rather the strain reliefs one of mine split, cable on the top half is rather stiff but I wore it over ear so I didn't have any issues with it....sound wise the treble could be a little sharp but I found over time it calmed down a bit so I liked them as well ....I just love the Shures that little bit more and also I have balance cable now for AK240 so it's even sweeter ....Sennheiser really should've made the cable detachable would've been much much better...but they are good phones....
post #2460 of 5569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post

Sounds to me like if I go with a silver cable I might as well go back to the Sennheiser IE800 hehehe.  Copper it is then! smily_headphones1.gif

I have owned OCC copper, silver plated copper, silver and now silver litz aftermarket cables. Silver does not make the sound brighter what it does is bring greater clarity and punch to the entire sound from sub bass to treble. This greater clarity is sometimes interpreted as brightness when in fact the overall spectrum is clearer. My advice, especially with the 846, is pure OCC silver litz as it is a great synergy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread