Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 162

post #2416 of 6209
I agree with my esteemed colleague, M Coupe, the iPod Touch 5th with a RSA balanced amp sounds incredible.
post #2417 of 6209
Glad your lovin them Miller! Can you do a comparison to your old W40's? Are the mids even more awesome with the 846's? Looking forward to your impressions.
post #2418 of 6209
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm6983 View Post

I get no hiss at all even on high gain with my X5. However, it doesn't surprise me as their amps seem to be somewhat hit or miss based on my experience and from what I've read on the X5 thread. I have to use high gain for best sound which is incredible. On low gain, my volume level has to be very high and the sound isn't nearly as good as high gain. but no hiss either way.
Yeah. I guess I just got a bad unit. I'm using my friend's x5 right now and there's no hiss except when using it as a DAC, and even then it's minimal. Guess I'll try to get a replacement.
post #2419 of 6209

Macbook Haswell, no hiss. Samsung Note 2, no hiss.

post #2420 of 6209
^ Agreed.

Sony Japan have released a 128GB SSD player capable of playing 24-bit audio, however dropping $AU800+ on it (not including delivery and possible import tax) is far too risky. Sounds like a 64GB iPod touch will do just fine (especially with the Golden Ear app).

An amp is the last thing on my list of priorities. I would like to avoid using one altogether to be honest.
post #2421 of 6209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post

^ Agreed.

Sony Japan have released a 128GB SSD player capable of playing 24-bit audio, however dropping $AU800+ on it (not including delivery and possible import tax) is far too risky. Sounds like a 64GB iPod touch will do just fine (especially with the Golden Ear app).

An amp is the last thing on my list of priorities. I would like to avoid using one altogether to be honest.

If you going to use an iPod Touch, as I do, may I suggest Tune Shell. It is a great app that allows you to import from the Internet and play both ALAC and FLAC music files.
post #2422 of 6209
Hi Guys
My SE846 arrived Monday and I'm so pleased I 'pressed the button'. This was after a lot of hesitation, but still with a small hole left in my audio heart created after selling my SE535’s a long while ago. I look back on those happy days (before Head-Fi) when the SE535 was my 'endgame' earphone. A long journey, and a much (MUCH) depleted wallet later, and I'm back - and my hasn't 'she' changed!
I simply agree with all the positive comments both construction and audio wise. These are well engineered beauties. Early days, but the treble, when compared to my IE800, I hear as just so 'real' and natural. The sub-base is sooooo tight.
Then I thought (just for a giggle) I'd try my old SE535 ACS Customs Sleeves (cost from memory £120). Blimey, they fit!!! Ohhhhhh!!! It looks like I've now got a 'custom' SE846. I'll let you know, in a week or so, how I get on with the sleeves (I'm pretty sure ACS still make them).
Edited by Rumpelstiltskin - 5/13/14 at 8:29pm
post #2423 of 6209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrman View Post

Glad your lovin them Miller! Can you do a comparison to your old W40's? Are the mids even more awesome with the 846's? Looking forward to your impressions.

 

I intend on doing just that,  but after I've had a few days with them. 

 

Had a bad scare today.  After about 4 hours, they started popping and cutting out entirely then POOF.  DEAD!  Thought 'oh no...the todd curse got me too'.  Panicked.

 

Then I realize the amp battery had died.

 

Yeah...stupid.  I know.

 

Oh well, false alarm.  They are fine and kicking it - HARD.

 

Only complaint I have is that that are not smart phone friendly.  That is a big problem for me since I have a business to run and talk on the phone all day - normally while listening to music. The music pauses during the call and resumes after I end it.  That is, with smart phone friendly headgear.

 

There is a version of the 215's that are smart phone friendly, for a grand, you would think these would be as well.  I wonder if there are accessory cables available that give the 846s this feature.  Does anyone know?

 

Also, can  anyone tell me whether or not you HAVE to use a filter?  I changed mine out today to bright and like it, but I'm wondering what they would sound like not filtered at all.

 

Getting the filters out or something of a challenge and then putting them back in, I didn't have one of the nozzles quit lined up right and the flange did not screw down all the way.  Good news is, don't think that is something I will be doing often - changing filters.

 

Give me a few days Todd, and I will share my impressions and comparisons with the W40s and MG7s.  I will compile a song list for you as well - as you asked for.  Didn't forget, just haven't been able to get to it yet.

 

Did you get your replacement 846s today?

post #2424 of 6209

The one thing I will say about the 846s now is that Shure has done it first class....like audio royalty or something.  The packaging, accessories, manual, box, cases....everything.  Outstanding.  The earphones themselves are stunning to look at.  Very impressive. 

 

And then there is the sound...

 

Everything you would expect for the money paid.

 

I am a satisfied customer.

post #2425 of 6209
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiller511 View Post

I intend on doing just that,  but after I've had a few days with them. 

Had a bad scare today.  After about 4 hours, they started popping and cutting out entirely then POOF.  DEAD!  Thought 'oh no...the todd curse got me too'.  Panicked.

Then I realize the amp battery had died.

Yeah...stupid.  I know.

Oh well, false alarm.  They are fine and kicking it - HARD.

Only complaint I have is that that are not smart phone friendly.  That is a big problem for me since I have a business to run and talk on the phone all day - normally while listening to music. The music pauses during the call and resumes after I end it.  That is, with smart phone friendly headgear.

There is a version of the 215's that are smart phone friendly, for a grand, you would think these would be as well.  I wonder if there are accessory cables available that give the 846s this feature.  Does anyone know?

Also, can  anyone tell me whether or not you HAVE to use a filter?  I changed mine out today to bright and like it, but I'm wondering what they would sound like not filtered at all.

Getting the filters out or something of a challenge and then putting them back in, I didn't have one of the nozzles quit lined up right and the flange did not screw down all the way.  Good news is, don't think that is something I will be doing often - changing filters.

Give me a few days Todd, and I will share my impressions and comparisons with the W40s and MG7s.  I will compile a song list for you as well - as you asked for.  Didn't forget, just haven't been able to get to it yet.

Did you get your replacement 846s today?
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-CBL-M--K-EFS-Three-Button-Control/dp/B0043241X8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400042616&sr=8-1&keywords=amazon+shure+cables+for+iphone
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-CBL-M-K-Remote-One-Button-Control/dp/B0047FS9Y8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400042699&sr=8-1&keywords=Shure+CBL-M
The iphone one doesn't work with android smartphones. I personally hate those cables because the connectors are L shaped and it doesn't fit right.
post #2426 of 6209

 

The shure cables have quality issues, they tend to break quiet often, try the westone cables, just make sure they are the mmcx android version and trim some of the rubber off the connectors and they fit perfectly.

post #2427 of 6209
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post


If you going to use an iPod Touch, as I do, may I suggest Tune Shell. It is a great app that allows you to import from the Internet and play both ALAC and FLAC music files.


I shall investigate forthwith. :)

post #2428 of 6209
Quote:
Originally Posted by milford30 View Post
 

 

The shure cables have quality issues, they tend to break quiet often, try the westone cables, just make sure they are the mmcx android version and trim some of the rubber off the connectors and they fit perfectly.

 

I use the blue UE900 mmcx cable. The middle button works on my Note 3 but, of course, the volume buttons do not.

 

Kind regards

post #2429 of 6209

Question for those of you that have the SE846s: How is the isolation? With proper fitting sleeves would the isolation be good enough to use these on the train/subway?

post #2430 of 6209
Quote:
Originally Posted by romnation View Post
 

Question for those of you that have the SE846s: How is the isolation? With proper fitting sleeves would the isolation be good enough to use these on the train/subway?

 

Yes definitely good enough with star/truefit tips, better than the westones thanks to the longer nozzle, can't hear a thing with music playing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread