Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 138

post #2056 of 7814

^^ Grazie!

post #2057 of 7814
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuachew View Post
 

 

For me, I prefer the Roxannes more. I would say that the Roxannes are the best in ears that I own. Although I would concede that I only spent like half an hour with them as I got the universal version and I only managed to listen to them for halk an hour when they came and sent them off to get custom sleeves. To some extent, they sound like an LCDX. 


Joshua Chew, Now that you've had more time with the Roxannes, can you compare their mids/treble to the SE846? I heard the Roxannes are warm, which concerns me because I assume that means they have significant treble roll off -- but I think the SE846's only minor flaw is that they have slight treble roll off and that they could be more resolving in the high mids/treble area (relatively speaking; they're good at that but could be better). Note I listen to the SE846s with the white filter. If I move to the Roxannes, will I get the high detailed spatially imaged high mids/treble that I want? Imagine a person who listens only to classical music and so has very little need for bass, but who needs to be able to hear all those trebly classical instruments clearly. Thanks.


By the way, exactly where did you get yours from, and how long after the preorder did you get them? Thanks again.

 

If there's anyone else with Roxannes and SE846s who can answer the above that would be great too.

post #2058 of 7814

p.s. I've started to listen to it without any filter, to reduce the amount of sound waves that dissipate due to the narrowness of the white filter (the white filter is almost completely hollow, except for a tiny membrane filter at the end apparently designed to ensure that wax doesn't get into the headphone, but by removing it there is a very slight increase in volume/clarity).

 

Does anyone listen to the SE846 without any filter whatsoever?

post #2059 of 7814

I don't use a filter.

post #2060 of 7814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhahacker View Post
 

I don't use a filter.


I hope we're not damaging our ears in some way, lol.

post #2061 of 7814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag8908 View Post

p.s. I've started to listen to it without any filter, to reduce the amount of sound waves that dissipate due to the narrowness of the white filter (the white filter is almost completely hollow, except for a tiny membrane filter at the end apparently designed to ensure that wax doesn't get into the headphone, but by removing it there is a very slight increase in volume/clarity).

Does anyone listen to the SE846 without any filter whatsoever?

The screen at the end of filter is NOT to block ear wax but it is an acoustical filter. Three things lead me to this conclusion. First, the SE535 also employed an acoustical filter. Second, if it was there as an ear wax guard it would be at the top not the bottom. Third, and most importantly, I had an extra set of blue filters so I removed the screen at the bottom and the sound became noticeably brighter and less coherent. I believe both the acoustical screen and material (in the blue and black filters) work together to shape the sound.

But remember, the great thing about the SE846 is the customization of the sound. If you like it with or without a filter it is your ears and preference that matters.
post #2062 of 7814
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post


The screen at the end of filter is NOT to block ear wax but it is an acoustical filter. Three things lead me to this conclusion. First, the SE535 also employed an acoustical filter. Second, if it was there as an ear wax guard it would be at the top not the bottom. Third, and most importantly, I had an extra set of blue filters so I removed the screen at the bottom and the sound became noticeably brighter and less coherent. I believe both the acoustical screen and material (in the blue and black filters) work together to shape the sound.

But remember, the great thing about the SE846 is the customization of the sound. If you like it with or without a filter it is your ears and preference that matters.


I took it out and looked at it. It's a super thin membrane like thing (be careful when taking it out if you check it, it's very fragile). Do you think that's doing much to the sound? I would have though the narrowness in the channel, created by the filter, would have a greater impact.

 

Edit: I looked at it with a loop, and it's basically a super thin mesh. I guess it could impact the sound slightly.


Edited by ag8908 - 4/28/14 at 5:38pm
post #2063 of 7814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag8908 View Post


I took it out and looked at it. It's a super thin membrane like thing (be careful when taking it out if you check it, it's very fragile). Do you think that's doing much to the sound? I would have though the narrowness in the channel, created by the filter, would have a greater impact.

Edit: I looked at it with a loop, and it's basically a super thin mesh. I guess it could impact the sound slightly.

The SE535 also has a thin mesh that acts as an acoustical filter.
post #2064 of 7814
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post


The SE535 also has a thin mesh that acts as an acoustical filter.


Well I'm glad I didn't tear mine taking it out, lol.

post #2065 of 7814
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post

The SE535 also has a thin mesh that acts as an acoustical filter.

I will have to take a closer look at the filter when I get home. I always assumed it was the shape of the filter that's altering the sound. I pretty much switched to the white filter when I first got the 846 but just switched back to the blue and quite liking it.
post #2066 of 7814
I hsut put my 535s on just to check, yup 846s are a huge upgrade, worth ever penny . I loved my 535s, 846, so much livelier and pep, much faster , the tone us much richer on 846s are glorious.
post #2067 of 7814

I remove the filter and have a listen and put back the filter within 3 mins. It doesn't sound right to me.

post #2068 of 7814
I prefer the white filter. I have tried them all (also sans filter) and the white works. I wish there were enough 846 users that some after market filter maker would give us even more options with measurement charts. Am I crazy?
post #2069 of 7814

Crazy no.  But really there are only 2 or 3 damper values you could use without sucking the top right out.

post #2070 of 7814

well Im not touching mine, the way it came sounds fine to me

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread