Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 134

post #1996 of 4871
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Coupe View Post
 

Hi all- IMHO.  I agree on 5th gen ipod touch vs ipod 5.  I had a iphone 5 and 5s before migrating to ipod touch 5th gen (spook Thanks!).  For me, the primary reason to look at an amp is not power but to go balanced. I can promise you that a balanced setup will blow you away.  The RSA balanced amp with Ted Allen's silver calbes took the performance of my 846's up (subjectively) 40-50%.  It is no small difference.  In fact, it makes the iphone 5 to ipod touch 5th gen look miniscule IMHO.  YMMV.  Good luck!

I ended up going with a Pico Slim and the SE silver cable from Ted Allen.  I bought the amp mainly to make fine volume adjustment easier than on the iPod touch.  I also found Ted's cable to improve the sq. and it is a very well built cable. 

 

I don't find much of a difference on my home setup between balanced out and SE out, aside from the 6db increase in volume.  I found the bigger difference on my home setup was when I added the balanced XLR cables from my dac to my amp.  I am now wondering if I am missing out since I didn't order the balanced RSA with the balanced cable for my SE-846's, but it is too late now as I don't plan on changing.

post #1997 of 4871

Dear god, I must say these IEM's turn me into a hippy Jackson Browne my man, peace love and happiness. :D

post #1998 of 4871

So I've had the SE846 for about two weeks now and just got the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable in the mail as a stock cable replacement (hated the stiffness and memory qualities of the stock cable that Shure had attached out of the box). Liking it a lot so far. It's hard to do a true A/B test considering I only could afford a single set of the 846, but it's definitely a warmer tone. Using the bright filters, the treble is still very present but a little of the grain or harshness that I found with the stock Shure cable has been smoothed out. Everything seems a little clearer with slightly better soundstage. 

post #1999 of 4871
I tested the SE846 on the Sony XA50ES CD player again. The reason why the SE535LTD sounded better is because the volume of the SE846 is lower than the SE535. I would expect the opposite, because of the lower impedance of the SE846. I connected the SE846 to my Little Dot MKIII amp and listened to the XA50ES on a proper volume level. It sounded very good. I did a comparison between the Sennheiser HD650 and SE846 on the same songs. The HD650 has more treble and clarity. The SE846 has much better mids and far superior bass. The bass of the HD650 is practically non-existent compared to the immense bass of the SE846. The mids are much more forward on the SE846, especially female vocals. It surprised me that, even though the HD650 appeared more detailed, the SE846 sounded much more musical than the HD650 because of the mids and bass. The regular SE535 was far behind the HD650, but the SE846 is imho more enjoyable than the HD650. I still have to compare guitar-heavy songs because the HD650 really shines on that department and the SE846 wasn't very impressive when I listened to hard rock on my iPhone 5S. I will test more genres on this setup.
post #2000 of 4871
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ny View Post

I tested the SE846 on the Sony XA50ES CD player again. The reason why the SE535LTD sounded better is because the volume of the SE846 is lower than the SE535. I would expect the opposite, because of the lower impedance of the SE846. I connected the SE846 to my Little Dot MKIII amp and listened to the XA50ES on a proper volume level. It sounded very good. I did a comparison between the Sennheiser HD650 and SE846 on the same songs. The HD650 has more treble and clarity. The SE846 has much better mids and far superior bass. The bass of the HD650 is practically non-existent compared to the immense bass of the SE846. The mids are much more forward on the SE846, especially female vocals. It surprised me that, even though the HD650 appeared more detailed, the SE846 sounded much more musical than the HD650 because of the mids and bass. The regular SE535 was far behind the HD650, but the SE846 is imho more enjoyable than the HD650. I still have to compare guitar-heavy songs because the HD650 really shines on that department and the SE846 wasn't very impressive when I listened to hard rock on my iPhone 5S. I will test more genres on this setup.

How's the transparency of SE846 compare to HD650? Which filter are you using? I had HD650 for a long time and feeling HD650 did not provide much "breathing" room. My SE846 still with Fedex, that takes forever from FL.

 

Also:

Technical Specifications:

 

  • SEPP (Single-Ended Push Pull) OTL in Class-A
  • Frequency response: 12 hz~100 Khz (-1dB)
  • THD+N: 0.15% (80 mW @300 ohm)
  • Power Output:
  • 350 mW @ 300/600 ohm
  • 300 mW @ 120 oh
  • 100 mW @ 32 ohm
  • Variable Gain: 3,4,5, or 10x
  • Recommended Load Impedance: 32 ohm~600 ohm
  • Input Impedance: 50K ohms
  • Pre-Amplifier Output Impedance: 600 ohms
  • Pre-Amplifier Gain: 3-10x (also controlled via gain switches)
  • Pre-Amplifier Voltage: 10V RMS
  • Power Consumption: 30W (228V * 0.130A)
  • Pre-Amplification circuit includes both driver and power tubes
  • Driver Tubes: 2x 5654 (5725)
  • Power Tubes: 2x 6H6PI (6H6n, 6H6nN)
  • High quality aluminum chassis
  • Dimensions (Metric): 270mm deep by 175mm wide by 123mm high
  • Dimensions (English): 10.6 inches deep by 6.9 inches wide by 4.8 inches
  • Weight: 3 Kg or 6.6 lbs
  • Available in either 120VAC or 220VAC

 

Do you think LD MK3's out impedance is little high for IEM?


Edited by Seamaster - 4/25/14 at 2:40pm
post #2001 of 4871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1110 View Post

I've never seen the point in things like the PHA-2. Unsuitable for IEMs, not powerful enough for big headphones. What is it for?

Well, I can tell you that my $285 Leckerton UHA-6 excels with both, only very demanding planar magnetics such as the HE-500 are too much for it. Otherwise it improves on any smartphone/iDevice I tried.
The only other portable DAC/amp i would consider is the Centrance Hifi-M8.
Edited by vlach - 4/25/14 at 2:46pm
post #2002 of 4871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post

How's the transparency of SE846 compare to HD650? Which filter are you using? I had HD650 for a long time and feeling HD650 did not provide much "breathing" room. My SE846 still with Fedex, that takes forever from FL.
I used the blue filter. I haven't listened to enough genres to tell whether the SE846 has more/less transparency. On pop music, the HD650 had more treble than the SE846 with the blue filter. Do you mean by "breathing room" soundstage? The HD650 sounds more airy, but the SE846 sounds much richer in tone and realistic because of the mids. The HD650 sounds more neutral than the SE846. On the SE846, it's as if they took the mids separately to make them sound closer to your ears.

Even though I don't believe in burn-in on balanced armatures, I would swear that the blue filter sounded very muffled and weak on the iPhone 5S two weeks ago and now it sounds fantastic.

The output impedance of the LD MKIII isn't a problem. I simply lower the volume. At volume level 25% (9 'o clock) of gain setting 10 (300 ohm), it's perfect for the SE846. On the same setting, I use the HD650 at 35% (10 or 11 'o clock).
Edited by s0ny - 4/25/14 at 3:01pm
post #2003 of 4871
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post

Well, I can tell you that my $285 Leckerton UHA-6 excels at both, only very demanding planar magnetics such as the HE-500 are too much for it. Otherwise it improves on any smartphone/iDevice I tried.

The main drawback of a lot of portable amps is the high output impedance which renders them unsuitable for use with IEMs. The fact that there aren't a lot of great portable headphones out there makes me wonder what they've been designed for. No doubt some of these portable amplifiers can drive full-sized headphones to a decent level, but why would anybody buy full-sized headphones and use them with a portable amplifier? The PHA-2 costs $600. For that money you could get a good desktop amp which would outperform it easily.

I'm not knocking portable amplifiers per se. I own two myself. I'm simply questioning the logic of amps that seem to have been designed with no particular headphone in mind - amps that cost a small fortune yet sound bad with IEMs and aren't up to the task of coaxing optimal performance out of big cans. The PHA-2 for example.
post #2004 of 4871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1110 View Post

The main drawback of a lot of portable amps is the high output impedance which renders them unsuitable for use with IEMs. The fact that there aren't a lot of great portable headphones out there makes me wonder what they've been designed for. No doubt some of these portable amplifiers can drive full-sized headphones to a decent level, but why would anybody buy full-sized headphones and use them with a portable amplifier? The PHA-2 costs $600. For that money you could get a good desktop amp which would outperform it easily.

I'm not knocking portable amplifiers per se. I own two myself. I'm simply questioning the logic of amps that seem to have been designed with no particular headphone in mind - amps that cost a small fortune yet sound bad with IEMs and aren't up to the task of coaxing optimal performance out of big cans. The PHA-2 for example.

You make some good points. The Leckerton works well with iems by virtue of the output impedance which is less than 1 ohm.
I like for a portable amp to capable of driving full size headphones when I am away from my main rig, like on my patio having a scotch & cigar smily_headphones1.gif
post #2005 of 4871
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post

You make some good points. The Leckerton works well with iems by virtue of the output impedance which is less than 1 ohm.
I like for a portable amp to capable of driving full size headphones when I am away from my main rig, like on my patio having a scotch & cigar smily_headphones1.gif

+1 MiILLION!!!! So I'm not the only head-fi'er who does this?
post #2006 of 4871

I do scotch, but no cigars....  :D

post #2007 of 4871
Also acceptable. I like to do both and sit out back on nice days with my audezes. Thought maybe I was a weirdo!
post #2008 of 4871

Just pulled the trigger on these. Any recommendations for an aftermarket cable? Stock is too stiff for me.

post #2009 of 4871
Quote:
Originally Posted by aLm0sT View Post

Just pulled the trigger on these. Any recommendations for an aftermarket cable? Stock is too stiff for me.

For price, build quality and fast service it is hard to beat Ted Allen and Headphone Lounge. Great OCC copper or silver cables between $90-$200.
post #2010 of 4871
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post

For price, build quality and fast service it is hard to beat Ted Allen and Headphone Lounge. Great OCC copper or silver cables between $90-$200.
Any pictures of the cables? And impressions of the cables?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread