Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 122

post #1816 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Coupe View Post

While I am 6'2", I use the smallest star tips...Green. Told you I had small ears. I guess it is better than having plates on the side of my head :P

 

Hey!

 

Well, at least, I can catch satellite TV for free.

post #1817 of 6156
Same on shell fit
post #1818 of 6156
Anyone got exp of customer support if one picks up a set on holiday in Japan and take back to UK. Tnx. From auth dealer of course.
post #1819 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post

Cleaning MMCX connectors

The following cleaning tip is applicable to all MMCX connector in ear monitors (Shure, UE and Westone):

This tip is for those hearing an intermittent drop off of sound from one or both IEMs. Also, I have found it is a good idea every couple of months to clean the connectors to insure optimal performance. You will need DeoxIT D100L Red and DeoxIT Gold (both are available from Amazon) as well as some tissue paper and a couple of toothpicks. Put a small amount of DeoxIT Red on the tissue paper wrapped around a toothpick and gently insert it into the ends of the IEM and cable and twist to clean the connector. Then repeat this with the DeoxIT Gold. Let them dry for 30 minutes or so and reconnect the cable to the IEM and you are finished.

Head-fi has cost me a lot of money in my efforts to fine the best sound, but it's tips like this that are the real gems. This worked perfectly to correct dropouts that started happening recently. Thanks spook76!

post #1820 of 6156

spook76 is who i learned this from also 

post #1821 of 6156

Do these IEM improve alot with a high end DAC + AMP? I can't use my Apogee One since it will turn the Shure SE846 into bass monsters (It would probably sound perfect for bass heads)  so I have to buy new equipment if they scale alot.

 

I'm currently using them with an iPhone 5S.

post #1822 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubs28 View Post
 

Do these IEM improve alot with a high end DAC + AMP? I can't use my Apogee One since it will turn the Shure SE846 into bass monsters (It would probably sound perfect for bass heads)  so I have to buy new equipment if they scale alot.

 

I'm currently using them with an iPhone 5S.

Some IEMs I would say are reference quality that brings out the details would do better with a better source.  I personally don't think 846 is that iem.


Edited by SilverEars - 4/12/14 at 10:32am
post #1823 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post

Some IEMs I would say are reference quality that brings out the details would do better with a better source.  I personally don't think 846 is that iem.

I could not disagree with you more. When I had the SE535 I "upgraded" my music library from iTunes 256 to 320kbps and was very satisfied. After about a month with my SE846 I again upgraded my library to FLAC and ALAC with some 24/96.

What do you define as "reference quality"? The boring, lifeless and flat response curve? I am sick of the "audiophiles" denigrating any IEM or headphone that is the least bit musical as non reference quality.

I listen to music to ENJOY it not analyze it.

UBS to answer your question, the SE846 scales up beautifully. Whether it is a new amp or DAC.
Edited by spook76 - 4/12/14 at 10:51am
post #1824 of 6156

It's all good, we have different tastes.  I like clear, neutral, detailed, accurate sources and phones and some like the "musical" setup.  I try to strive to that every step I take with new gears.  I enjoy music more with what I consider reference quality, but we all have different tastes.  

 

:beerchug: 

post #1825 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post

It's all good, we have different tastes.  I like clear, neutral, detailed, accurate sources and phones and some like the "musical" setup.  I try to strive to that every step I take with new gears.  I enjoy music more with what I consider reference quality, but we all have different tastes.  

beerchug.gif  

I think the SE846 is clear, incredibly detailed and also musical. True we all have different tastes but take a look at Romy/Muppetface's comments on her universal Roxanne. She felt the 846 imaging was superior and overall preferred the 846 to the Roxanne. She has far more experience than either of us in high end IEMs.
post #1826 of 6156

Imaging is good, but I think there are alternatives that do great imaging.  One thing I find Shure signature is the grainy vocals, which I do not find all that fascinating.

post #1827 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post

I think the SE846 is clear, incredibly detailed and also musical. True we all have different tastes but take a look at Romy/Muppetface's comments on her universal Roxanne. She felt the 846 imaging was superior and overall preferred the 846 to the Roxanne. She has far more experience than either of us in high end IEMs.

Where was this comparison? This thread or a Roxanne thread?
post #1828 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoeiii View Post

Where was this comparison? This thread or a Roxanne thread?

The Roxanne thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/684396/new-jh-audio-flagship-siren-series-roxanne/4820_20
post #1829 of 6156
My opinion as I posted way earlier in the thread my opinion of 846 and over ear th900 on hpa8 dac amp versus iphone. For sure the 846 is much louder, more full complete range I listened through hpa8 versus the iphone, but the iPhone was ample to have the 846 perform to its refrence level. Now compared to the th900 over ear, the 846 is not even close in sq and 3d effect and in range and quality of both ends of the sound spectrum.
Sorry. Now is the 846 a good iem, for sure and I like the low end base effect, but the 846 is not a refrence ear experience that one needs an dac amp specifically, although it is an improvement.
Edited by Whazzzup - 4/12/14 at 12:36pm
post #1830 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post


I could not disagree with you more. When I had the SE535 I "upgraded" my music library from iTunes 256 to 320kbps and was very satisfied. After about a month with my SE846 I again upgraded my library to FLAC and ALAC with some 24/96.

What do you define as "reference quality"? The boring, lifeless and flat response curve? I am sick of the "audiophiles" denigrating any IEM or headphone that is the least bit musical as non reference quality.

I listen to music to ENJOY it not analyze it.

UBS to answer your question, the SE846 scales up beautifully. Whether it is a new amp or DAC.

I was a little surprised with the comment about the SE846 not scaling up. I normally use it with a FIIO X3 which I find superior to my iPhone 5s. However, my true reference model is my OPPO BDP103 playing The Eagles "Hotel California" on SACD with analog out to my Onkyo TX-NR1000. That makes the X3 sound like a kid's toy even with the tracks in 24/192.

 

Now I'm looking for a DAP that can get me at least close to that reference model. Note that no other lesser IEMs I've had came close to the SE846 with that source or any other source I've owned.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread