I can't tell (by listening) how good a particular DAC might be because I can't separate it from the rest of the components (and the software). I've witnessed smartphones sound better with a change in software. For my Galaxy S1, it was Voodoo. For my Note 3, it is Viper4Android. Suddenly there's clarity and sub-bass that I wouldn't have thought possible from that particular phone.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productShure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphonetagged by piercer, 8/24/13
Related Forum Threads
- MUIX IX3000: A collaboration between Golden Ears and iSOUND Last post on 12/3/14 at 9:56pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrading from IE800 Last post on Yesterday at 3:09 pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser IE 800 at $600 vs AKG K3003 at $900 vs Shure se846 at $715 Last post on 11/2/14 at 12:51am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best Soundstage in an IEM?... Last post on Yesterday at 5:39 pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Keeping IEM's in desk drawer Last post on 9/29/14 at 2:58pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
This is a review for the Shure SE315's, first a little about myself I don't consider myself a hard core audiophile like most people on this site. I am 38 years old and I am just your everyday...
TL;DR : Don't be lazy, I already made the review super short Let's just keep this short, I got the MMX102IE (same version just with a mic and 1 button remote) for about 40$ cuz of a discount...
I am penning down my opinion about the Hidizs AP100 Digital Audio Player. I will try to keep this review simple as possible and I hope it would be easy to read, and will help fellow enthusiasts to...
thanks to it's overall sound quality, details are not even a problem with kdx200. you'll get back every detail you lost on cheaper models like Xiaomi Piston, Brainwavz M4-M5. and there's also some...
Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 119
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Earlier someone wrote a post saying that the black, blue and white filters have the exact same amount of bass at a particular source volume level. I checked the manual and it confirms this (it says that the white filter adds 2.5db from 1khz to 8khz and the black filter subtracts 2.5db from that range).
The first time I used the white filter, I could have sworn it had less bass, but I didn't really listen to it much since I went with the blue.
But now after listening carefully, I think the manual/other poster might be right, and that the white and blue filter have the same amount of bass. I only listened to one song, though, so nothing conclusive.
Any other opinions on this question?
If this is the case, and the white and blue do have the same amount of bass, then I'm moving to the white filter. Why would I want treble roll-off / reduction when I can have a neutral headphone?
Edit: I think you have to listen to a track that puts out a lot of bass, or that only puts out bass, because otherwise the white filter's additional treble might make it seem like it has less bass, when in fact it has the same amount of bass if you measure it scientifically. All half guesses though as I'm not an expert on this stuff.
Edited by ag8908 - 4/1/14 at 2:48pm
I suggest if you really want to see how amazing these head phones are, download Sting - A thousand years, it has a really deep rumble in the intro, and I never got the shake from other IEM's . Intense man, intense, first time I've felt the base with an IEM.
Hmm when I listened to them without any filter in place, they were VERY bright and sibilant with no bass. With the filter, it sounded very different and controlled. I think that the plastic polymer and the change in the bore diameter due to the white filter plays a role in changing the sound.
can you hear that rumble on your setup with the white filter?
Yes but that is because without the "filter" in place there is no seal between the driver housing and the nozzle. The white filter however has no acoustic damper like the blue and black do. Google it and /facepalm that it's being sold as some super tech =) If anything be annoyed that Shure made the nozzle keyed so you can't use knowles dampers of whatever impedance you'd like to, sigh.
I use the white filter when listening to modern music, try Porcupine Tree's "Open Car" or "Blackest Eyes" trust me your ears will feel the rumble.
For you, I just A/B and the bass is the same between the white and the blue filter. With the white it may seem less because of the boast in the treble but to me the bass is the same.
tx. i'm switching to the white filter. why waste all that good mid/treble sound?
- Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
- › Lake People G109 / G103 thread 2 minutes ago
- › In ear headphone with budget around 200 USD 2 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 3 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears 4 minutes ago
- › earbuds under $150 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R 5 minutes ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 6 minutes ago
- › Audirvana Plus vs. BitPerfect vs. Fidelia 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by acain
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by Zero Decibels
- › Hidizs AP100 Portable HiFi Audio Player in Black / Silver White by YoYo JoKeR
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by heovuitinh
- › Koss KDX200 by vaziyetu
- › Brainwavz M5 by vaziyetu
- › beyerynamic DT 150 Compact Closed Headphone (250 Ohms) by jdpark
- › Sony MDR-1R by gerelmx1986
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by JAMEZTHEBOI
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Pacal
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)