I can't tell (by listening) how good a particular DAC might be because I can't separate it from the rest of the components (and the software). I've witnessed smartphones sound better with a change in software. For my Galaxy S1, it was Voodoo. For my Note 3, it is Viper4Android. Suddenly there's clarity and sub-bass that I wouldn't have thought possible from that particular phone.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productShure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphonetagged by piercer, 8/24/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM Bass club) Last post on Yesterday at 7:41 am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Review of Apollo Audio Lab's Viper 6 - 6 BA drivers universal in-ear monitor Last post on 2/28/15 at 9:36am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure SE846 vs Noble Audio 6 (universal) - Time Sensitive! Last post on 2/20/15 at 8:03pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser's IE800 or Shure's SE846 Last post on 3/26/15 at 8:07am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Like New SHURE846 [Price Drop] Last post on 2/9/15 at 11:31pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
At the time of the review, the Venture Electronics Zen was on sale on the company’s Aliexpress store. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Lumia 640 LTE I never owned a portable device (apart from a Sony Walkman in the 80's) because I never felt the use of it. Just out of curiosity, not expecting much, I plugged my Sony MDR-Z7 in my...
MEElectronics/MEEaudio Introduction My experience with IEMs is short lived, but I've had fair enough experience to give you proper detailing. I mainly use detachable only, and can report from...
Introduction In audio circles, the word "endgame" generally refers to a headphone or audio chain component that is practically without fault, and performs at a high enough level to...
Would never dreamed of buying a pair of Beats but end up finding a pair for a rock bottom price(1/3 of the normal retail) so I thought what the heck. Just a side note, since they were...
Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 119
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Earlier someone wrote a post saying that the black, blue and white filters have the exact same amount of bass at a particular source volume level. I checked the manual and it confirms this (it says that the white filter adds 2.5db from 1khz to 8khz and the black filter subtracts 2.5db from that range).
The first time I used the white filter, I could have sworn it had less bass, but I didn't really listen to it much since I went with the blue.
But now after listening carefully, I think the manual/other poster might be right, and that the white and blue filter have the same amount of bass. I only listened to one song, though, so nothing conclusive.
Any other opinions on this question?
If this is the case, and the white and blue do have the same amount of bass, then I'm moving to the white filter. Why would I want treble roll-off / reduction when I can have a neutral headphone?
Edit: I think you have to listen to a track that puts out a lot of bass, or that only puts out bass, because otherwise the white filter's additional treble might make it seem like it has less bass, when in fact it has the same amount of bass if you measure it scientifically. All half guesses though as I'm not an expert on this stuff.
Edited by ag8908 - 4/1/14 at 2:48pm
I suggest if you really want to see how amazing these head phones are, download Sting - A thousand years, it has a really deep rumble in the intro, and I never got the shake from other IEM's . Intense man, intense, first time I've felt the base with an IEM.
Hmm when I listened to them without any filter in place, they were VERY bright and sibilant with no bass. With the filter, it sounded very different and controlled. I think that the plastic polymer and the change in the bore diameter due to the white filter plays a role in changing the sound.
can you hear that rumble on your setup with the white filter?
Yes but that is because without the "filter" in place there is no seal between the driver housing and the nozzle. The white filter however has no acoustic damper like the blue and black do. Google it and /facepalm that it's being sold as some super tech =) If anything be annoyed that Shure made the nozzle keyed so you can't use knowles dampers of whatever impedance you'd like to, sigh.
I use the white filter when listening to modern music, try Porcupine Tree's "Open Car" or "Blackest Eyes" trust me your ears will feel the rumble.
For you, I just A/B and the bass is the same between the white and the blue filter. With the white it may seem less because of the boast in the treble but to me the bass is the same.
tx. i'm switching to the white filter. why waste all that good mid/treble sound?
- Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 39 seconds ago
- › Replacement cable with no mic for Sennheiser Momentum M2 around 30... 2 minutes ago
- › VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand 2 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 2 minutes ago
- › EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound... 3 minutes ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 5 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 5 minutes ago
- › K701 thread 8 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Bette hybrid review by jekostas. PG 1972. 10 minutes ago
- › Trying to find some nice crisp/clear/crystal clear heahphones 10 minutes ago
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by eke2k6
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by Skylarke
- › Heaven VII by peter123
- › Noble Audio BTS by HiFiChris
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Cagin
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by White Lotus
- › Etymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones by ElMarcado
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3