Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE846 Impressions Thread - Page 97

post #1441 of 5689

I decided to go AK so I can also use it as my home rig with the PC as the transport for movies, media, games etc.  It'll likely change rather quickly but right now they really are the only choice for good ui, performance and feature set.  Get a Red Wine version and you don't need to worry about what you plug in.

 

Now if the AK240 wasn't so ugly it might make my list but right now I'm leaning towards the RWAK120 Titan if for no other reason than the memory bump up.

post #1442 of 5689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1110 View Post

So do Apple users generally put a portable DAC between the iPod and the Pico Slim? Would it be easier and more cost effective to buy a better DAP instead?

The Fii0 X5 looks like an interesting proposition but I can't stand poor UI.

Good question. As Ken Rockwell's measurements demonstrate the iPod is an excellent DAP. http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/ipod-touch-5g/audio-quality.htm

As my signature tells you, I use an RSA Lightning out of my iPod Touch 5th (Cirrus Logic DAC) with an interconnect (I could use an lightning to 30 pin adapter and LOD but I dislike the Wolfson DAC in the adapter). I keep the volume from the iPod at about 50-60% and let the amp carry the load. With a black hole quiet amp like the Lightning (or a Pico Slim) providing the power I get much greater detail, clarity and PRaT and a 3D holographic sound stage.

As portable amps go Ray Samuels and Justin at Headamp make some of if not the best portable amps.

Unless you have hi resolution files or need/have greater than 64-160GB of music, an iPod is a perfectly fine DAP.
Edited by spook76 - 3/4/14 at 5:28pm
post #1443 of 5689

Key is iPod Touch, the Classic has a 5ohm output which will suck out the midrange a full 6dB :O

post #1444 of 5689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Key is iPod Touch, the Classic has a 5ohm output which will suck out the midrange a full 6dB :O

Is that still true if you have an amplifier between the source (DAP) and the SE846? I maybe wrong but I thought if you use an amp it is the amp's output impendace that matters vis-a-vie the IEMs.
post #1445 of 5689

Absolutely.  Which is why I said used alone.  Pico makes it just the source where high output impedance starts to work in your favour.

post #1446 of 5689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave74 View Post
 

Yes, they might not need an amplifier, but with a good properly matched amplifier you can better adjust the volume as you will have more steps for attenuation.  I find using my Vamp Verza with my iPhone 5 I can adjust to the perfect listening level, as opposed to just plugging into the iPhone I find it is either too loud or not loud enough... This is the main reason I ordered the Pico Slim with 255 steps digital attenuation for my incoming SE846's, which I will probably pair with my iPad for now for a better impedance match.  


Actually it comes with a volume attenuator if that's your concern, but please don't let me stop you from using an amplifier. Can't hurt.

post #1447 of 5689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag8908 View Post


Actually it comes with a volume attenuator if that's your concern, but please don't let me stop you from using an amplifier. Can't hurt.

Yes, that is my concern. I wish the iPhone and iPad had smaller incremental steps for their attenuation. I'd still probably go with the amp though, just a personal preference as I find a good amp usually improves sq.
On page 38 of this thread there is a discussion about the attenuator that comes with the 846's reducing sq. and it sounds like people prefer not to use it. I haven't received my 846's yet so I can only go by other peoples comments about the attenuator. If my 846's get delivered Thursday as the courier tracking says, I will provably try the attenuator out as my Pico slim will probably be about two more weeks for shipping to Canada.
But like you said the amp can't hurt:)
I
post #1448 of 5689

Another day with these and still no regrets, although I'm really starting to like the present but less assertive bass of the white filter -- it let's you hear vocals/instruments better.

post #1449 of 5689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave74 View Post


Yes, that is my concern. I wish the iPhone and iPad had smaller incremental steps for their attenuation. I'd still probably go with the amp though, just a personal preference as I find a good amp usually improves sq.
On page 38 of this thread there is a discussion about the attenuator that comes with the 846's reducing sq. and it sounds like people prefer not to use it. I haven't received my 846's yet so I can only go by other peoples comments about the attenuator. If my 846's get delivered Thursday as the courier tracking says, I will provably try the attenuator out as my Pico slim will probably be about two more weeks for shipping to Canada.
But like you said the amp can't hurt:)
I


Oh I definitely won't be using it, and I had no idea why they included it. I was hoping it was a cell phone microphone lol.

 

Edit: I see the Pico Slim is $400 and only delivers "0.35Wrms w/ 32 ohm load" (350mW at 32 ohms). That's pretty weak for an amp. It's half the output of the Objective 2 (which itself is not that powerful of an amp). Just a thought if you want to search more for an amp that will work on power hungry cans as well as these.

 

http://www.headamp.com/pico/pico_slim_amp/


Edited by ag8908 - 3/4/14 at 8:46pm
post #1450 of 5689

i'm a balanced guy myself and the ones i have power is not at issue only sound quality.jus my opinion.

post #1451 of 5689

The Pico Slim was designed for use with sensitive IEMs.

post #1452 of 5689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
 

The Pico Slim was designed for use with sensitive IEMs.

 

 

Ding ding ding!  High gain, high power with sensitive iems is just asking for hiss and of course short battery life.  Do keep in mind that at a measly 0.01mW the 846 puts out 90dB.  Which is why the Sony ZX1 with its pitiful 15mW output is perfectly fine for most iems.  So 350mW into 32, closer to 700mW into the 846... enough to blow out your ears and the BAs in the 846.

post #1453 of 5689

Well I can definitely confirm the slight hiss on the se846 on certain sources so if the amp can get rid of that its doing something.

 

I really do have to say these are quite amazing though; the bass is so perfect; I honestly don't know how other iems can compete without finding a way to copy its bass/low pass filter 

post #1454 of 5689

Is it me or does anyone else hear/feel a very slight creaking when pushing on or removing tips, probably from the pressure applied to the internals. 

post #1455 of 5689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag8908 View Post

Well I can definitely confirm the slight hiss on the se846 on certain sources so if the amp can get rid of that its doing something.

I really do have to say these are quite amazing though; the bass is so perfect; I honestly don't know how other iems can compete without finding a way to copy its bass/low pass filter 

The RSA Lightning paired with the 846 is black hole quiet. Even at maximum gain and volume (without music of course) it is dead silent.

As for extra power, the Lightning can power any IEM or full sized headphones like the HD800 or LCD 3 (except the HE-6 or electrostatics) to incredible volume. And if you want something to drive the HE-6 the RSA SR71-B is the answer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread