New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

buying headphones

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I have been listening to a lot of headphones lately and have noticed some brands are the same price everywhere. They seem to be excluded from sales also. So I was wondering how many people just pay list price for them. Or simply keep auditioning until you find headphones that might be a better value overall.

Do you pay list on the net?

post #2 of 9

Manufacturers all have rules about how their products can be priced.  One type of control is called MAP, which means Minimum Advertised Price.  Dealers must sign agreements with manufacturers that included statements that they will not advertise pricing below MAP.  If they do, they risk loosing their ability to sell that manufacturer's products.  

 

The main reason for this is to even out distribution. If one dealer is allowed to under-sell the others, they have an unfair advantage and the others will eventually not bother with the product, which limits distribution.  More dealers is always better, so long as they aren't competing for the same market.  

 

If a product is good, and people like it, they will pay "list price" if that's what the product sells for.  There's nothing wrong with "list price" if you get what you want.  

 

Some people need to feel like they are getting a deal when they buy something.  They spend hours on line searching for a price a few percent lower than anywhere else.  Thing is, if you find an unusually low price on something, there's a reason, and you should worry more about that than about getting the lowest price.  

post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaddie View Post

Manufacturers all have rules about how their products can be priced.  One type of control is called MAP, which means Minimum Advertised Price.  Dealers must sign agreements with manufacturers that included statements that they will not advertise pricing below MAP.  If they do, they risk loosing their ability to sell that manufacturer's products.  

 

The main reason for this is to even out distribution. If one dealer is allowed to under-sell the others, they have an unfair advantage and the others will eventually not bother with the product, which limits distribution.  More dealers is always better, so long as they aren't competing for the same market.  

 

If a product is good, and people like it, they will pay "list price" if that's what the product sells for.  There's nothing wrong with "list price" if you get what you want.  

 

Some people need to feel like they are getting a deal when they buy something.  They spend hours on line searching for a price a few percent lower than anywhere else.  Thing is, if you find an unusually low price on something, there's a reason, and you should worry more about that than about getting the lowest price.  

Yup, even buying here comes at a risk... but I still ofc like shopping for all my cans and amps on Head Fi <3 support our members and the entire head fi community  

post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaddie View Post

Manufacturers all have rules about how their products can be priced.  One type of control is called MAP, which means Minimum Advertised Price.  Dealers must sign agreements with manufacturers that included statements that they will not advertise pricing below MAP.  If they do, they risk loosing their ability to sell that manufacturer's products.  

 

The main reason for this is to even out distribution. If one dealer is allowed to under-sell the others, they have an unfair advantage and the others will eventually not bother with the product, which limits distribution.  More dealers is always better, so long as they aren't competing for the same market.  

 

If a product is good, and people like it, they will pay "list price" if that's what the product sells for.  There's nothing wrong with "list price" if you get what you want.  

 

Some people need to feel like they are getting a deal when they buy something.  They spend hours on line searching for a price a few percent lower than anywhere else.  Thing is, if you find an unusually low price on something, there's a reason, and you should worry more about that than about getting the lowest price.  

I may fit the "some people..." paragraph, but with brick and mortar dealers facing net competition why would you buy from the web at the same price? Ok if you live far from a store that would be a good reason. I guess that I am very lucky that I live in a major metropolitan area that still has many b&m dealers.

 

I have built many relationships with local dealers who have earned my loyalty over the years. How does paying list price with you're hard earned money result in you becoming a loyal customer? So far with all the headphones I have auditioned I have not even ventured to ask  about purchase price yet but I am sure that when I do ask, It will not be list price, Or just a few bucks off list. MAP is just that, I don't think it has anything to do with a private transaction. 

 

I have a tendency to research things I am going to buy, and it just seemed that a lot of internet dealers went out of their way to inform me that if I wanted to buy product X I was going to get hosed.

post #5 of 9

MAP= Minimum Advertised Price.  Dealers can sell for whatever they want, they just can't advertise or post prices below MAP.

post #6 of 9
If you need to listen before you buy, then your buying selection is going to be SEVERELY limited - even in a major metropolitan area.

To the OP: I'm curious - can you give an example of a brand that is never discounted but is widely available?
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

If you need to listen before you buy, then your buying selection is going to be SEVERELY limited - even in a major metropolitan area.

To the OP: I'm curious - can you give an example of a brand that is never discounted but is widely available?

Grado for one.  I am not looking to try every headphone known to man, just something different from what I have (hd 580's) So far the Grado RS1i have captured my interest also the PS 500.

I have been reading reviews like mad on this forum. I must give major kudos to the members who have contributed excellent reviews of the many products out there! I was reading about the Denon Ah 600s I kind of liked them @ half the price of RS1i's but they don't fit my small noggin, I have also learned to buy what I will be happy with over the long term. In any case so far the RS1is lead the pack PS500s are a bit heavy but may be more balanced overall. As for buying without hearing first that is not going to happen. A couple of years ago I listened to a lot of headphones at a LAOC meeting that I was a guest at and liked the Grado's then and still like them now.

post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post

Grado for one.  I am not looking to try every headphone known to man, just something different from what I have (hd 580's) So far the Grado RS1i have captured my interest also the PS 500.
I have been reading reviews like mad on this forum. I must give major kudos to the members who have contributed excellent reviews of the many products out there! I was reading about the Denon Ah 600s I kind of liked them @ half the price of RS1i's but they don't fit my small noggin, I have also learned to buy what I will be happy with over the long term. In any case so far the RS1is lead the pack PS500s are a bit heavy but may be more balanced overall. As for buying without hearing first that is not going to happen. A couple of years ago I listened to a lot of headphones at a LAOC meeting that I was a guest at and liked the Grado's then and still like them now.

You just missed the LA meet! It was a good time! smily_headphones1.gif
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 

Yes, I have poor timing. LA meet would have been great to attend!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home