or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread - Page 56

post #826 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post


Nothing strenous at all, just walking about to and from school/work sitting on the subway bus.

I dont listen longer than 1-1.5 hr at a time anyway so i dun mind on ears

 

You might want to consider the Mikros 90's as well (can be had for under $100). They also sound awesome like the M500's, but because they clamp a bit more firmly on the ears, they stay on the head better and also isolate better. The M500's are more comfortable, but I don't find the 90's to be uncomfortable at all (I thought that I would).

post #827 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

 

You might want to consider the Mikros 90's as well (can be had for under $100). They also sound awesome like the M500's, but because they clamp a bit more firmly on the ears, they stay on the head better and also isolate better. The M500's are more comfortable, but I don't find the 90's to be uncomfortable at all (I thought that I would).

 

hm.. i saw that a while back as well, the price is great but it doesn't ship up here to canada.

 

all you americans get the best prices! 

post #828 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post
 

 

hm.. i saw that a while back as well, the price is great but it doesn't ship up here to canada.

 

all you americans get the best prices! 

 

I hear you! I'm Canadian and spent more than most for them, but they are well worth it. They were at newegg.ca for $99, but I see they are up to $199 lol. You can find them on ebay though and get them shipped for $114US:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARTIN-LOGAN-MIKROS-90-ON-EAR-NOISE-ISOLATING-HEADPHONES-w-REMOTE-and-MIC-NEW-/301025217085?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4616804a3d

post #829 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

 

I hear you! I'm Canadian and spent more than most for them, but they are well worth it. They were at newegg.ca for $99, but I see they are up to $199 lol. You can find them on ebay though and get them shipped for $114US:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARTIN-LOGAN-MIKROS-90-ON-EAR-NOISE-ISOLATING-HEADPHONES-w-REMOTE-and-MIC-NEW-/301025217085?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4616804a3d

i'm not entirely sure i want get it

 

thanks for the link though!, it has the same style as the b&w p5, not that its a bad thing. i'm not sure i've got the class to pull it off tbh

 

that actually is about the same price as the onkyo fc300 (the on ear headphones) reviewed pretty highly on innerfidelity. with replaceable cables, earpads, and a bit more youthful look plus good rated isolation and a slightly north of neutral bass and mid range. 

 

plus its white 

 

hm... i'll have to wait for kef to get back to me on the earpads and the cables (and shipping to canada) the sonic electronix deal for such a modern elegant headphone is pretty good to pass up

post #830 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post
 

i'm not entirely sure i want get it

 

thanks for the link though!, it has the same style as the b&w p5, not that its a bad thing. i'm not sure i've got the class to pull it off tbh

 

that actually is about the same price as the onkyo fc300 (the on ear headphones) reviewed pretty highly on innerfidelity. with replaceable cables, earpads, and a bit more youthful look plus good rated isolation and a slightly north of neutral bass and mid range. 

 

plus its white 

 

hm... i'll have to wait for kef to get back to me on the earpads and the cables (and shipping to canada) the sonic electronix deal for such a modern elegant headphone is pretty good to pass up

 

Yeah well the M500's rock, so I certainly don't feel the need to dissuade you from them :)

post #831 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

 

Yeah well the M500's rock, so I certainly don't feel the need to dissuade you from them :)

sorry final question

 

is it possible to bend the the headband to make it have a tighter/ more secure fit.

 

i would hate to drop something this nice 

post #832 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post
 

sorry final question

 

is it possible to bend the the headband to make it have a tighter/ more secure fit.

 

i would hate to drop something this nice 

 

Yeah, I dunno, and I'm not gonna try for fear of breaking it. Maybe someone else has tried though. The m500's definitely seem more geared towards comfort than security. They are VERY comfortable for on ears, and they are not very secure as a result.

 

Fwiw, I was able to bend out the Mikros 90's headband a bit though, and now I find them quite comfortable and secure.

post #833 of 1186

Well, seems I might be coming back to the club. Just maybe... :cool:

post #834 of 1186

Just got the M200.  Out of the box and with stock medium tips, the bass is dominating the spectrum and blending into lower mids.  I also find them to have less detail than Fidelio S2 and Zero Audio Tenore.  They are, however, very smooth; no sibilance and all.  They require a lot of power to drive; laptop volume much higher than when listening to Tenore or S2.

 

I had a hard time getting seal with ear hooks, so I just put the earhooks straight up; don't even use them.

 

Do these need burn-in and/or tip change so that bass tightens up and there is more detail in mids and highs?

post #835 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post
 

Just got the M200.  Out of the box and with stock medium tips, the bass is dominating the spectrum and blending into lower mids.  I also find them to have less detail than Fidelio S2 and Zero Audio Tenore.  They are, however, very smooth; no sibilance and all.  They require a lot of power to drive; laptop volume much higher than when listening to Tenore or S2.

 

I had a hard time getting seal with ear hooks, so I just put the earhooks straight up; don't even use them.

 

Do these need burn-in and/or tip change so that bass tightens up and there is more detail in mids and highs?

 

These do benefit from a tiny amount of front leakage, which tunes down the bass and improves overall balance and clarity. From my experience, there are two ways to achieve this:

 

  1. Wear them with smaller tips than usual and a light / shallow seal. Easy to do, but hard to maintain a constant small amount of leakage, particularly during movement.
  2. Try the mod I posted in the FX850 thread. Be sure to place the strip across the ridge that secures the M200's tip. More sophisticated, but works more consistently than #1.
post #836 of 1186
My M500 should be here Monday. Can't wait!!!
post #837 of 1186
This is my second go at these, BTW...
post #838 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
 

 

These do benefit from a tiny amount of front leakage, which tunes down the bass and improves overall balance and clarity. From my experience, there are two ways to achieve this:

 

  1. Wear them with smaller tips than usual and a light / shallow seal. Easy to do, but hard to maintain a constant small amount of leakage, particularly during movement.
  2. Try the mod I posted in the FX850 thread. Be sure to place the strip across the ridge that secures the M200's tip. More sophisticated, but works more consistently than #1.

Thanks for the tips!  I switched from stock medium to stock small and they lessened the bass!  I always thought the best seal was the way to go.  So far, they sound much better and more balanced, but I'm wondering if not having as tight a seal is affecting anything negatively.  To my ears so far, no.

post #839 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post
 

I'm wondering if not having as tight a seal is affecting anything negatively.  To my ears so far, no.

 

Neither to my ears. Not all IEMs react as good-natured to a light seal, but the M200 do. Of course, isolation is affected negatively.

post #840 of 1186

Oh yeah!

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread