Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread - Page 39

post #571 of 911
You should be fine in terms of falling from your head. They're arent that loose, as long as head movemebt isn't too great.

Man i wonder how the fiio e18 will pair with these. I was going to get a dx50 but the e18 costs so much less and apparently sounds a bit better than the x3. But then again its not exactly released yet. These things do seem to benefit from good sources and amplification.
post #572 of 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlanDraka81 View Post
 

After reading this thread i've just purchased a pair of Kef m500 to add to my Headphones collection..can't wait for them to arrive.;) Damn you!:D hopefully they will not fall from my head like few other headfiers pointed out.. (however i'm not going to run with them)


Good choice, give them a good burn-in then sit back and prepare to be amazed. I own these and Sennheiser Momentums and I really do believe the KEF's beat the Momentums hands down. The clarity and resolution of the KEF's is brillianr.

 

Paired with a DX50 they sound superb, soundstage is wide, instrument separation is sublime and each element of the sound is perfectly rendered without bleeding into other areas.

 

Enjoy!

post #573 of 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknet View Post

You should be fine in terms of falling from your head. They're arent that loose, as long as head movemebt isn't too great.

Man i wonder how the fiio e18 will pair with these. I was going to get a dx50 but the e18 costs so much less and apparently sounds a bit better than the x3. But then again its not exactly released yet. These things do seem to benefit from good sources and amplification.

That's good to hear :-)!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subseasniper View Post
 


Good choice, give them a good burn-in then sit back and prepare to be amazed. I own these and Sennheiser Momentums and I really do believe the KEF's beat the Momentums hands down. The clarity and resolution of the KEF's is brillianr.

 

Paired with a DX50 they sound superb, soundstage is wide, instrument separation is sublime and each element of the sound is perfectly rendered without bleeding into other areas.

 

Enjoy!

This really makes me want to try the Kef, i can' t wait to compare them to my momentums and the other headphones in my collection :-) And from the pictures the Kef look very nice

post #574 of 911

This thread is very intriguing since I have been looking for good portable sound for many months now.

 

I've owned HD 25-1 for some 15 years and HD 650 for about a decade so those cans are my references when comparing. I was looking forward to the momentum's when they came out, but I simply can't stand the mushy mid bass spreading over the tonal landscape in those cans. A pity since I love the build, fit and the sound, except for the bass is close to what I am looking for.

 

After listening to the Amperior's I have had those at the top of my list even though they are not exactly what I've been looking for being too close to the hd 25 in sound, and I don't love the looks or build of them.

 

But after reading through this thread I am going to a dealer next week and listen to the M500. From the description the sound signature is close to what I like. I want controlled bass and to hear details in the music, I guess that's called "analytical", although I don't analyse my music, I just enjoy hearing details.

 

If I like the sound I'll buy them on the spot.


Edited by whuffor - 11/9/13 at 4:59pm
post #575 of 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by whuffor View Post
 

This thread is very intriguing since I have been looking for good portable sound for many months now.

 

I've owned HD 25-1 for some 15 years and HD 650 for about a decade so those cans are my references when comparing. I was looking forward to the momentum's when they came out, but I simply can't stand the mushy mid bass spreading over the tonal landscape in those cans. A pity since I love the build, fit and the sound, except for the bass is close to what I am looking for.

 

After listening to the Amperior's I have had those at the top of my list even though they are not exactly what I've been looking for being too close to the hd 25 in sound, and I don't love the looks or build of them.

 

But after reading through this thread I am going to a dealer next week and listen to the M500. From the description the sound signature is close to what I like. I want controlled bass and to hear details in the music, I guess that's called "analytical", although I don't analyse my music, I just enjoy hearing details.

 

If I like the sound I'll buy them on the spot.

 

I am a big Sennheiser fan, don't even want to think how many pairs I've owned over the years. I do love my Momentum's but the KEF's are a level above to my ears, the neutrality is very interesting, they are analytical without being clinical and boring, the sound is very immersive and the soundstage you get when combined with a good source is brilliant for an on-ear can.

 

The only niggle with the KEF's is the slippery fit, if you have a huge head you are fine but if your head is normal or narrow they have very little clamping power so you really wouldn't wear these to run about the place. I wear them about my house and they are fine.

 

They are a really enjoyable can and seem to open up a lot more detail that the Momentum's.

 

I love them.

post #576 of 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by subseasniper View Post
 

 

I am a big Sennheiser fan, don't even want to think how many pairs I've owned over the years. I do love my Momentum's but the KEF's are a level above to my ears, the neutrality is very interesting, they are analytical without being clinical and boring, the sound is very immersive and the soundstage you get when combined with a good source is brilliant for an on-ear can.

 

The only niggle with the KEF's is the slippery fit, if you have a huge head you are fine but if your head is normal or narrow they have very little clamping power so you really wouldn't wear these to run about the place. I wear them about my house and they are fine.

 

They are a really enjoyable can and seem to open up a lot more detail that the Momentum's.

 

I love them.

 

interesting i have a normal size head and based on your impressions, it would probably slip off me

 

are they actually made of metal/ aluminum

 

i'm surprised for on ear they don't clamp more! i guess its for comfort purposes, for example the hd25 clamps so hard and isolate so well but their not really consumer cans

 

i'll assume they dun isolate too well for commuting purposes?

post #577 of 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post

interesting i have a normal size head and based on your impressions, it would probably slip off me

are they actually made of metal/ aluminum

i'm surprised for on ear they don't clamp more! i guess its for comfort purposes, for example the hd25 clamps so hard and isolate so well but their not really consumer cans

i'll assume they dun isolate too well for commuting purposes?

You know i have an about average, maybe even slightly small and I've never really had issues regarding it falling of my head. Yes it does feel a bit loose but as long as you aren’t jogging or running i don't think there should be too many issues.

I think these headphones have little clamp mainly to offer better comfort as an on ear as you said. They're probably one of the most comfortable on ears I've tried.
post #578 of 911

Yeah, they are made from aluminum, really nice construction, the earpads are made from a leather type material with memory foam padding.

 

Isolation is average, however, unlike most closed back cans they are feel as if they are quite open, the isolation isn't due to having a pair of plungers clamped over your ears, it feels like a more natural isolation (if that makes sense).

 

As for using them when commuting, provided the ambient noise isn't too loud you should be okay, I recently used the KEF's on a transatlantic flight and they were fine.

post #579 of 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by subseasniper View Post
 

Yeah, they are made from aluminum, really nice construction, the earpads are made from a leather type material with memory foam padding.

 

Isolation is average, however, unlike most closed back cans they are feel as if they are quite open, the isolation isn't due to having a pair of plungers clamped over your ears, it feels like a more natural isolation (if that makes sense).

 

As for using them when commuting, provided the ambient noise isn't too loud you should be okay, I recently used the KEF's on a transatlantic flight and they were fine.

forgive me if this sounds stupid

 

but say if you want more isolation do you think u can bend the handband inwards like say the vmoda m80s to increase the clamping force/ isolation?

 

it does sound like the kefs along with the momentums are the better buys within the 300$ price range. ala beats (at least the old ones, creeky plastic, shoddy hinges, i could go on haha)

 

things really change in a few years

 

plus both are mighty good looking imo


Edited by Tom22 - 11/10/13 at 11:15am
post #580 of 911
I would be wary of tweaking the headband, it feels like it would snap rather than changing shape. Tbh, my head is pretty narrow but i havent had any issues with the KEFs falling off my head, they feel a little wobbly if i move fast but they have never fallen off.
post #581 of 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by subseasniper View Post

I would be wary of tweaking the headband, it feels like it would snap rather than changing shape. Tbh, my head is pretty narrow but i havent had any issues with the KEFs falling off my head, they feel a little wobbly if i move fast but they have never fallen off.

It's also too loose for me but I found a way to solve the issue. Instead of bending the headband, here's what I do: Put the headphones on with the headband further back (i.e., at the back of my head), then twist the headphones upward to bring the headband back to the top of my head. The friction created between the earpads and your ears should make the headphones stay better.

 

It's kind of like how you make a loose ring fits snug.

post #582 of 911

For my Canadian fellows, amazon.ca has the M500 at 272 $CAN (regular 350), since a couple of days. Don't know for how long though. I think I'll have to find a reason for adding them to my collection... and some money!

post #583 of 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan647 View Post
 

 

The M500 goes deeper than what my ears can hear. Do you have super-ears? 

 

You would have to answer this question for yourself after you've heard the m200. It doesn't seem like you have if you don't get my statement.

post #584 of 911

Eric, how would you rate the SQ of the M200 in comparion with the westone 4?

post #585 of 911
I gave my headband the merest of tweaks and it has improved the clamping force considerably. Scary but worked okay.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread