Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread - Page 25

post #361 of 916

Damn! Sony is about to come out with a 16mm dynamic and dual BA earphone! :triportsad:

 

 

http://presscentre.sony.eu/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=8813&NewsAreaId=2

post #362 of 916

Damn - these M500's are something else! I wasn't expecting bass like that... :D

 

Actually, I don't know what I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting this kind of sound. Wow.

post #363 of 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

Damn - these M500's are something else! I wasn't expecting bass like that... :D

 

Actually, I don't know what I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting this kind of sound. Wow.

 

Sounds like an M200 is about to be ordered. ;)

 

The sound signature won't fit everyone as there is no such thing as one-sound-fits-all, but for those that it does fit, it will be hard to beat under $200.


Edited by PeterDLai - 9/4/13 at 2:32pm
post #364 of 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

Damn - these M500's are something else! I wasn't expecting bass like that... :D

 

Actually, I don't know what I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting this kind of sound. Wow.

 

 

BUT I TOLD YOU SO DUDE!! lol

post #365 of 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDLai View Post
 

Both CantScareMe and theUKMrT are from London. Maybe Londoners just have different ears from the rest of the world. biggrin.gif

 

Must be the humidity. As we all know, factors like drinking milk (or not) and listening at the right time of day in the right environmental conditions can have a profound impact on sound, just like exotic cables and green CD markers.

 

How old are you mate? 

Recently migrated from the youtube comments section for a Justin Bieber video...that's the feeling I get with a lot of posters around headfi nowadays.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post
 

It always seems that the head-fiers with the least amount of posts or who haven't sampled a large variety of earphones are the most critical of the one they'e heard that other audiophiles seem to like or love. This is just a general observation. lol ... Hmmmm?

 

 

I'm sitting in my room with easily over £5k's worth of headphone equipment, around 30 headphones, 10dacs/amps and all equipment that I know well. I was looking at what to buy next.

 

I consider myself to be experienced. One of the my last purchased was the ultrasone signature DJ. £650. I think it's a pretty bad headphone truth be told after living with it for many hundreds of hours, suiting only the most seasoned bass head. It's got a sensational bass response, so unlike anything I've ever heard and a vast soundstage, though apart from that it was off the pace (much inferior to a demo unit I directly compared it to). The ultrasone sig pro is on my head right now, and it's much better (now that I found a way around the comfort issue). A sensational headphone?? No. It's good, not absolutely awesome. 

 

I don't have anything to prove to you - except something to prove to myself. Unless one has the time to argue there's no point in posting a review.....or just see what everyone else has said in the thread so far and make up a review saying the same things in a different way. That'll avoid conflict.  I posted a 95% positive review, but because it wasn't along the lines of this thing is the 'best headphone around,' many here, were personally offended. Seriously guys........

 

 

p.s. Both dealers of the KEF m500 in London categorically told me that they preferred the senn momentum. They were suprised at how highly I spoke of it. Oh, and by the way, for those who don't know a thing or two about KEF, they're a speaker manufacturer originating and based in (Greater) London, Britain. 

post #366 of 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantScareMe View Post
 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm sitting in my room with easily over £5k's worth of headphone equipment, around 30 headphones, 10dacs/amps and all equipment that I know well. I was looking at what to buy next.

 

I consider myself to be experienced. One of the my last purchased was the ultrasone signature DJ. £650. I think it's a pretty bad headphone truth be told after living with it for many hundreds of hours, suiting only the most seasoned bass head. It's got a sensational bass response, so unlike anything I've ever heard and a vast soundstage, though apart from that it was off the pace (much inferior to a demo unit I directly compared it to). The ultrasone sig pro is on my head right now, and it's much better (now that I found a way around the comfort issue). A sensational headphone?? No. It's good, not absolutely awesome. 

 

I don't have anything to prove to you - except something to prove to myself. Unless one has the time to argue there's no point in posting a review.....or just see what everyone else has said in the thread so far and make up a review saying the same things in a different way. That'll avoid conflict.  I posted a 95% positive review, but because it wasn't along the lines of this thing is the 'best headphone around,' many here, were personally offended. Seriously guys........

 

 

p.s. Both dealers of the KEF m500 in London categorically told me that they preferred the senn momentum. They were suprised at how highly I spoke of it. Oh, and by the way, for those who don't know a thing or two about KEF, they're a speaker manufacturer originating and based in (Greater) London, Britain. 

 

 

Huh? I really have no idea why you addressed this to me because I haven't addressed anything to you or even read your critique of the M500 (one way or the other) until I saw that post above just now. And I'm still confused. But okay, carry on. Happy listening.

post #367 of 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantScareMe View Post

 

How old are you mate? 

Recently migrated from the youtube comments section for a Justin Bieber video...that's the feeling I get with a lot of posters around headfi nowadays.

 

I'm sitting in my room with easily over £5k's worth of headphone equipment, around 30 headphones, 10dacs/amps and all equipment that I know well. I was looking at what to buy next.

 

I consider myself to be experienced. One of the my last purchased was the ultrasone signature DJ. £650. I think it's a pretty bad headphone truth be told after living with it for many hundreds of hours, suiting only the most seasoned bass head. It's got a sensational bass response, so unlike anything I've ever heard and a vast soundstage, though apart from that it was off the pace (much inferior to a demo unit I directly compared it to). The ultrasone sig pro is on my head right now, and it's much better (now that I found a way around the comfort issue). A sensational headphone?? No. It's good, not absolutely awesome. 

 

I don't have anything to prove to you - except something to prove to myself. Unless one has the time to argue there's no point in posting a review.....or just see what everyone else has said in the thread so far and make up a review saying the same things in a different way. That'll avoid conflict.  I posted a 95% positive review, but because it wasn't along the lines of this thing is the 'best headphone around,' many here, were personally offended. Seriously guys........

 

 

p.s. Both dealers of the KEF m500 in London categorically told me that they preferred the senn momentum. They were suprised at how highly I spoke of it. Oh, and by the way, for those who don't know a thing or two about KEF, they're a speaker manufacturer originating and based in (Greater) London, Britain. 

Dude, chill out, have a cold one! :beerchug: No need to take everything so seriously; we were just joking around.

post #368 of 916

That dealer probably makes more money on the Momentums which is why they "prefer" them. I'd avoid their advice at all cost. 

post #369 of 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post
 

Dude, chill out, have a cold one! :beerchug: No need to take everything so seriously; we were just joking around.

 

Fair enough, my bad.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm321 View Post
 

That dealer probably makes more money on the Momentums which is why they "prefer" them. I'd avoid their advice at all cost. 

 

They knew I wasn't going to buy the momentums, mainly because I already had them and they could clearly see that! A dealers job is to sell, but they have no idea on how experienced the person who's just walked into their store is. I reckon you'd be surprised on how clueless the average customer is and their approach I guess has to be tailored to that - not the 1% of customers. Remember KEF make speakers. Speakers, hifi's , sony, boomboxes, subs....that's the kind of stuff that sells in these stores so i'm not talking about dedicated headphone stores at all.

 

When I walk into a dealership as such to demo headphones to avoid all the hassle I often just tell them straight up that I've owned over 200 headphones and I completely know what I'm doing. Then it becomes a productive experience for all involved.  

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post
 

 

 

Huh? I really have no idea why you addressed this to me because I haven't addressed anything to you or even read your critique of the M500 (one way or the other) until I saw that post above just now. And I'm still confused. But okay, carry on. Happy listening.

 

 

It sounded like it was addressed to me.

post #370 of 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post
 

It always seems that the head-fiers with the least amount of posts or who haven't sampled a large variety of earphones are the most critical of the one they'e heard that other audiophiles seem to like or love. This is just a general observation. lol ... Hmmmm?

Seriously? Just a general observation. Mostly, it smacks of a self-congratulatory tone of you being an audiophile, which is for one thing, a silly term from the get-go. And second, based on what I have seen and read here in my short time, is a stretch in the first place. Also, what does post count have to do with anything, really? I tried out the M200s because of the hype hereabouts, and they were the worst ergonomic IEMs I have ever owned, bar none. Sound was good, no doubt. But they are not giant killers, far from it. In short order, the FS forums will have plenty of them. I am just glad I got mine back to Amazon within 30 days. But glad others are enjoying them.


Edited by mymymyopie - 9/5/13 at 6:28am
post #371 of 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAViN617 View Post
@Asr

 

After all the praise you have given the M500, I was quite surprised to see that you'd sold yours.. so I just have to ask, why'd you do it?

 

ericp10's post exactly said it for me: "People sell things for various reasons, and it may not have anything to do with whether they love the product or not." The M500 was my favorite-of-all-time closed portable headphone for music. I have to add the "music" caveat as I preferred the Audio-Technica ES7 (which I still have) for computer usage - and by that, I mean Netflix, Internet video streaming, & infrequent gaming. (I could say that I really like how explosions and gunfire sound on the ES7. Makes it awesome-sounding for anything that's full of action.) :biggrin: I don't use my PC for music listening as others do, I've always had a dedicated CD playback system. I sold the M500 for personal reasons that I'd rather not say. I expect to re-buy another set at some point in the future, well unless KEF releases an even better headphone.

 

Btw, sorry for the delayed response, I don't really keep track of this thread. I don't keep track of very many threads on Head-Fi in general for that matter, don't really have time these days to read Head-Fi as much as I used to.


Edited by Asr - 9/4/13 at 9:21pm
post #372 of 916

I can definitely understand why the M200 won't have excellent ratings. KEF do what they do best, providing amazing sound quality and am amazed at what they did with the KEF SQ. It's a shame that's not the case with ergonomics design given their inexperience with M200 being their first IEM with those of small or irregular-shaped ear canals having fit issues. Hopefully they will take feedback from this seriously into their next design. Definitely need to demo them first

post #373 of 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by theUKMrT View Post


Finally, the M200s are very inefficient - they'll drain your iPhone v quickly - which seems like a bit of a major failing since the remote suggests they're pitched at iPhone owners.

Agree with the ridiculous Euro safety hearing standard. Is it compulsory for the European IEM companies to apply such a thing in their design? The KEF M200 can't even be powered properly by my new laptop at max volume with plugged-in power! None of my other IEMs are like this. When paired with an amp, the SQ simply doubled, bringing out the M200's true capability and the M200 becomes a totally different beast. M200 scales well with an amp is an understatement.

post #374 of 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkcow View Post
 

Agree with the ridiculous Euro safety hearing standard. Is it compulsory for the European IEM companies to apply such a thing in their design? The KEF M200 can't even be powered properly by my new laptop at max volume with plugged-in power! None of my other IEMs are like this. When paired with an amp, the SQ simply doubled, bringing out the M200's true capability and the M200 becomes a totally different beast. M200 scales well with an amp is an understatement.

 

+1

Just plug the M200 in an O2 amp and you're done for a great musical moment.

post #375 of 916

 

The KEF really isn't far behind the LCD-2 to be honest. The most significant differences are in the treble and the soundstaging. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread