or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread - Page 24

post #346 of 1186

By depth I'm talking about along the x-axis, level with the eyeline. you know, across the face rather than down the face. 

 

Soundstage placement can seem to change with volume. If you play something louder, not 100% always, but in most instances vocals would be more upfront. The senn mometum has a recessed midrange and this is unanimously agreed upon by all reviewers I trust the opinion of. Once the volume is turned up then this 'problem' is alleviated, but the user feels a thumping bass response and amplified beyond neutral levels in the upper mids/highs. The midrange sounds more upfront now, but that's because of volume. 

post #347 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantScareMe View Post
 

By depth I'm talking about along the x-axis, level with the eyeline. you know, across the face rather than down the face. 

 

Soundstage placement can seem to change with volume. If you play something louder, not 100% always, but in most instances vocals would be more upfront. The senn mometum has a recessed midrange and this is unanimously agreed upon by all reviewers I trust the opinion of. Once the volume is turned up then this 'problem' is alleviated, but the user feels a thumping bass response and amplified beyond neutral levels in the upper mids/highs. The midrange sounds more upfront now, but that's because of volume. 

 

Wouldn't say the Momentum has recessed mids, a more appropriate description would be that they have elevated bass. The midrange is in good harmony with the treble (which, relative to the bass, is also recessed).

post #348 of 1186
Have had my M200s for a few days now - & so far I'm a bit surprised at the nearly universally positive reaction they've had.

Much has already been said about the fit issues with these, but I've owned a lot of in-ears & these are by far the worst in that dept - the driver housings are just ridiculously huge! No chance of ever forgetting you're wearing these. Can't help but feel the designers got so wrapped up in their 'clever' musical note concept that they forgot about basic ergonomics - & the ear-hooks are completely superfluous with in ears anyway.
Sound wise - bear in mind mine may not be fully burned in yet - they seem very mainstream hi-fi with a big, deep bass that (although creditably doesn't smother everything else) is quite 'one note'. I've posted my dislike of the bass-bloated UE900s elsewhere on this site, but the Kefs make them seem well balanced by comparison. I'm hoping this will change with use.
The Kefs remind me a lot sound wise of the B&W C5s - except the B&Ws are very comfortable - weird considering what contempt they get in these parts.
Finally, the M200s are very inefficient - they'll drain your iPhone v quickly - which seems like a bit of a major failing since the remote suggests they're pitched at iPhone owners.
Can't help but feel Kef have 'hit the post' with these - nearly great, but definitely not for too many reasons - & $400 iem killers? - absolutely not. Next gen maybe.
Hoping I'll feel differently after more burn-in, but so far, don't believe the hype.
post #349 of 1186

It always seems that the head-fiers with the least amount of posts or who haven't sampled a large variety of earphones are the most critical of the one they'e heard that other audiophiles seem to like or love. This is just a general observation. lol ... Hmmmm?

post #350 of 1186
You'll still dislike after burn in. Signature won't change and obviously the build which you find the worst wont change either.
post #351 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by theUKMrT View Post

Have had my M200s for a few days now - & so far I'm a bit surprised at the nearly universally positive reaction they've had.

Much has already been said about the fit issues with these, but I've owned a lot of in-ears & these are by far the worst in that dept - the driver housings are just ridiculously huge! No chance of ever forgetting you're wearing these. Can't help but feel the designers got so wrapped up in their 'clever' musical note concept that they forgot about basic ergonomics - & the ear-hooks are completely superfluous with in ears anyway.
Sound wise - bear in mind mine may not be fully burned in yet - they seem very mainstream hi-fi with a big, deep bass that (although creditably doesn't smother everything else) is quite 'one note'. I've posted my dislike of the bass-bloated UE900s elsewhere on this site, but the Kefs make them seem well balanced by comparison. I'm hoping this will change with use.
The Kefs remind me a lot sound wise of the B&W C5s - except the B&Ws are very comfortable - weird considering what contempt they get in these parts.
Finally, the M200s are very inefficient - they'll drain your iPhone v quickly - which seems like a bit of a major failing since the remote suggests they're pitched at iPhone owners.
Can't help but feel Kef have 'hit the post' with these - nearly great, but definitely not for too many reasons - & $400 iem killers? - absolutely not. Next gen maybe.
Hoping I'll feel differently after more burn-in, but so far, don't believe the hype.

 

Get the M500s instead, they do live up to the hype :) Sadly wouldn't call them very comfortable though :(

post #352 of 1186
Interesting. I find the B&W C5 to be a lot more basshead than the M200.
post #353 of 1186

Both CantScareMe and theUKMrT are from London. Maybe Londoners just have different ears from the rest of the world. :D

post #354 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

It always seems that the head-fiers with the least amount of posts or who haven't sampled a large variety of earphones are the most critical of the one they'e heard that other audiophiles seem to like or love. This is just a general observation. lol ... Hmmmm?

You might want to look at my profile... I don't believe that having owned a greater amount of 'phones is a mark of being more 'audiophile', perhaps more a mark of being less decisive or discerning? Just a possibility.
As a B&W Nautilus owner I can understand why you would like the Kefs... they're similarly overrated... Lol.
Edited by theUKMrT - 9/4/13 at 1:59pm
post #355 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDLai View Post

Both CantScareMe and theUKMrT are from London. Maybe Londoners just have different ears from the rest of the world. biggrin.gif
... Or perhaps we're just more comfortable not running with the herd?
post #356 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDLai View Post

Both CantScareMe and theUKMrT are from London. Maybe Londoners just have different ears from the rest of the world. biggrin.gif


 

Must be the humidity. As we all know, factors like drinking milk (or not) and listening at the right time of day in the right environmental conditions can have a profound impact on sound, just like exotic cables and green CD markers.
post #357 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBai View Post

You'll still dislike after burn in. Signature won't change and obviously the build which you find the worst wont change either.

Thanks for a sensible response Danny - I fear you're right. The build is actually very good - it's the ergonomics which i feel are so poor.
post #358 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by theUKMrT View Post

... Or perhaps we're just more comfortable not running with the herd?

 

It was a joke, don't take it seriously. :)

 

I'm not surprised at all that people can find these to have too much bass for their tastes.


Edited by PeterDLai - 9/4/13 at 2:17pm
post #359 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDLai View Post

Both CantScareMe and theUKMrT are from London. Maybe Londoners just have different ears from the rest of the world. biggrin.gif


 

Must be the humidity. As we all know, factors like drinking milk (or not) and listening at the right time of day in the right environmental conditions can have a profound impact on sound, just like exotic cables and green CD markers.
Haha!... Hey Blueangel, not sure about the dairy, but on a highly resolving home system, time of day does make a difference - esp in urban areas. High load on the grid is a bitch... Maybe going 'lactose free' is the next big thing in audiophilia?
post #360 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDLai View Post

It was a joke, don't take it seriously. smily_headphones1.gif

All cool Peter smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by theUKMrT - 9/4/13 at 2:26pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread