Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread - Page 23

post #331 of 921
Gee! Why am I still subscribed to this thread when I know for sure that the M200 won't fit in my tiny ears... How I wish I have bigger ears!
post #332 of 921

I don't know if you have any places you can try them and return if they don't fit, but I hope people aren't ruling them out without trying at least. Although the nozzle is one of the largest in diameter, the insertion depth is relatively shallow so as long as you can get a small-sized tip on there and create a seal you should be able to experience the KEF sound.

post #333 of 921
I know BB carry them online, I'm sure you can always return them in store.
post #334 of 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDLai View Post
 

I don't know if you have any places you can try them and return if they don't fit, but I hope people aren't ruling them out without trying at least. Although the nozzle is one of the largest in diameter, the insertion depth is relatively shallow so as long as you can get a small-sized tip on there and create a seal you should be able to experience the KEF sound.

 

There's an online shop here in Straya that has them and they have a "change of mind" return policy within a 30-day period. Unfortunately, it'll set me back $245 to get them. If they go on sale, I'm pretty sure I'll give them a go.

post #335 of 921

Here they are with the smallest wide-bore tips I could find in my stash. It's barely wider than the nozzle itself, but comfort could be an issue. These are generic tips that I got from eBay.

 

iynzkBQ.pngGVJ1ea4.png


Edited by PeterDLai - 9/3/13 at 3:36pm
post #336 of 921

That would only work if you have very, very round ear canals. And I can't imagine someone's ears being that small, since I always use the largest tips possible, and even those are too small sometimes :p

post #337 of 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDLai View Post
 

Here they are with the smallest wide-bore tips I could find in my stash. It's barely wider than the nozzle itself, but comfort could be an issue. These are generic tips that I got from eBay.

 

 

 

Thanks mate! Although from my experience with different kinds of tips, those won't do a proper seal for me. It has to be mushroom-like shape and large size in order for me to get a good seal with shallow insertion. This was my experience at least with the t-peos H200 which also has a wide nozzle but nowhere near as wide as the M200 tho.

post #338 of 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post
 

That would only work if you have very, very round ear canals. And I can't imagine someone's ears being that small, since I always use the largest tips possible, and even those are too small sometimes :p

 

I think I may have that type of ear canal since I actually can get a reasonable seal even with those tiny tips (I use medium tips most of the time, sometimes large), as long as I don't open my mouth (widens my canals).


Edited by PeterDLai - 9/3/13 at 3:55pm
post #339 of 921

Just to chime in with a few impressions...compared to the sennheiser momentum.

 

 

 

KEF M500 vs Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear

 

These headphones are very good. But in my opinion not as good as some people say. I wouldn't say they're the best out there and feel that when used as a portable, the momentums are better. I've demoed these kefs a few times now. The highs are a bit too muted. Actually muted isn't the right word - 'true to life' is better. The soundstage is small compared to the momentum and in music benefiting from large headstages this feels like a weakness. Midrange is awesome as is the integration with the surprisingly linear bass. Of course, you're not going to get the best sub bass from a headphone like this, but all round it sounds at the right pacing and quantity. The midrange is at the right distance (unlike the momentum) and at the right location within the soundstage, shaping the entire sound accordingly.  It's free from upper midrange glare of course, but compared to the momentum it sounds less natural. The timbre is better from the senn.

 

Overall I like the sound a lot, but when we move away from sound quality....then it becomes a headphone that I can't really recommend as openly as I would like to.

 

Firstly the pads. Aren't great. Bad. But not all out poor. 

It's on ear and I expected at the very least, for a small £250 KEF headphone, to use leather. If not, then velvet, or fabric. B&W p5's do and there was no excuse to cut corners here (except for profit margin). They get hot and stuffy real quick on my ears especially when used indoors. 

When used outdoors, well that can't really be done. That's my second point. Okay, technically one can listen when in noise, but the isolation is very noticeably lower than the momentum and the sound leaking in means that it looses much of it's magic. So much of that delicate detail one just can't hear as it's phased out by ambient noise. Something like a headphone with big bass and a large soundstage would sound more impressive.

 

My conclusion:

- Portable headphone used outside in a noisy environment - no.

- Portable headphone used in a noisyish office like mine - no

- Portable headphone used occasionally in the quiet surrounding of a home/ideal office - yes

post #340 of 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantScareMe View Post
 

Just to chime in with a few impressions...compared to the sennheiser momentum.

 

 

 

KEF M500 vs Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear

 

These headphones are very good. But in my opinion not as good as some people say. I wouldn't say they're the best out there and feel that when used as a portable, the momentums are better. I've demoed these kefs a few times now. The highs are a bit too muted. Actually muted isn't the right word - 'true to life' is better. The soundstage is small compared to the momentum and in music benefiting from large headstages this feels like a weakness. Midrange is awesome as is the integration with the surprisingly linear bass. Of course, you're not going to get the best sub bass from a headphone like this, but all round it sounds at the right pacing and quantity. The midrange is at the right distance (unlike the momentum) and at the right location within the soundstage, shaping the entire sound accordingly.  It's free from upper midrange glare of course, but compared to the momentum it sounds less natural. The timbre is better from the senn.

 

Overall I like the sound a lot, but when we move away from sound quality....then it becomes a headphone that I can't really recommend as openly as I would like to.

 

Firstly the pads. Aren't great. Bad. But not all out poor. 

It's on ear and I expected at the very least, for a small £250 KEF headphone, to use leather. If not, then velvet, or fabric. B&W p5's do and there was no excuse to cut corners here (except for profit margin). They get hot and stuffy real quick on my ears especially when used indoors. 

When used outdoors, well that can't really be done. That's my second point. Okay, technically one can listen when in noise, but the isolation is very noticeably lower than the momentum and the sound leaking in means that it looses much of it's magic. So much of that delicate detail one just can't hear as it's phased out by ambient noise. Something like a headphone with big bass and a large soundstage would sound more impressive.

 

My conclusion:

- Portable headphone used outside in a noisy environment - no.

- Portable headphone used in a noisyish office like mine - no

- Portable headphone used occasionally in the quiet surrounding of a home/ideal office - yes

 

Ehm.. muted treble? The KEFs are definitely brighter sounding than the Momentum and the soundstage is definitely larger IMO. Agreed that the Momentum is better as a portable headphone though, it's more comfortable, it fits more securely and it isolates significantly better. 

(I own both) 

post #341 of 921

''The highs are a bit too muted. Actually muted isn't the right word - 'true to life' is better''

 

 

Please re-read. Especially the line I just quoted.

post #342 of 921
Isn't that a good thing? There's no such thing as too true to life tongue.gif
post #343 of 921

Most headphones have elevated highs and compared to that the kef's sound muted. It's a good thing that they are as such as without the screetches and attention grabbing high range, music just flows; sound more life like. Having said this however, the soundstage does consequently suffer a bit. I've always felt that the momentum escapes portraying a congested sound as it's soundstage had good depth. I didn't hear the kef's to have this. 

post #344 of 921
Momentum (and most other headphones) have more of a 10k hump, but M500 treble extends better than most headphones out there.
post #345 of 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantScareMe View Post
 

Most headphones have elevated highs and compared to that the kef's sound muted. It's a good thing that they are as such as without the screetches and attention grabbing high range, music just flows; sound more life like. Having said this however, the soundstage does consequently suffer a bit. I've always felt that the momentum escapes portraying a congested sound as it's soundstage had good depth. I didn't hear the kef's to have this. 

 

Having both here with me for comparison, I feel the opposite. The soundstage of the Momentum is fairly wide but not deep, the KEF portray the musicians further from your face. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread