or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread - Page 15

post #211 of 1186

I was impressed by the M500 but got it as a curiosity - I don’t have room for an on ear portable headphone in my schedule. But I do use IEMs at work and outside a bit. So  I ordered the M200 yesterday. 

 

I’m currently using the Sennheiser IE800 a lot. I don’t know if the M200 will “beat” it but if it’s close enough, it might be a “good enough” replacement. I like what I’m reading about a nice, full sound without having a bloated bass.

 

I might not get them for 2 or 3 weeks, though (slow shipping, bah). Anyway, I’ll be reading more impressions in this thread while I wait. Looking forward to giving my own down the line.


Edited by LCfiner - 8/18/13 at 1:26pm
post #212 of 1186
Thread Starter 
I look forward to hearing your impressions and how they compare to the IE800.
post #213 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by denis View Post


Guys, I've been there in my tips experiment. And I noticed that when there was more bass, it was at the detriment of the rest of these IEMs qualities: mids, treble or soundstage. It was when my ears were better isolated but a little too stuffed...

That has not been my experience. 

post #214 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post

I was impressed by the M500 but got it as a curiosity - I don’t have room for an on ear portable headphone in my schedule. But I do use IEMs at work and outside a bit. So  I ordered the M200 yesterday. 

 

I’m currently using the Sennheiser IE800 a lot. I don’t know if the M200 will “beat” it but if it’s close enough, it might be a “good enough” replacement. I like what I’m reading about a nice, full sound without having a bloated bass.

 

I might not get them for 2 or 3 weeks, though (slow shipping, bah). Anyway, I’ll be reading more impressions in this thread while I wait. Looking forward to giving my own down the line.

Looking forward to your comparisons. The price difference is huge, so if the M200 is anywhere near as good that would be amazing.

post #215 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

That has not been my experience. 

Happy for you. So, the Senn IE-8 bi-flange is another possible tip solution if you like your sound with a little more bass.
post #216 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerleed View Post

I must be lucky - the medium tips that came fitted to my M200s provide the best fit and sound for me.

I have tried lots of others, including the UE900 and the other UE single flanges, but none hit that sweet spot of sound that I get from the KEF tips.

Lucky you! Enjoy!
post #217 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerleed View Post

Is it just a fit issue for you guys who are trying new tips? Where does the problem lie?

I also want to ask if you would share which portable set up you are using to listen to your M200s?

Here's mine:

Stock M200 medium tips
Rooted Samsung Galaxy S3 19300, Stock 4.1.2 rom
Boeffla kernel (headset st 63 volume, no EQ, dac direct etc all enabled)
Viper4Android app (no enhancers just enabled)
Poweramp music player (again no enhancements, DAC switched off)

So many variables these days aren't there? Groan.

With the above though, it's a brilliantly portable solution and I am in sonic nirvana compared to other IEM's and setups I have had. No need for an amp or external DAC.

It's fit issues. Partly solved for me.
Have a look to the posts before and you will know what members are pairing these IEMs with.
If you are in a sonic nirvana, it is maybe better not to read anything on this forum. If not, sorry for your wallet...
post #218 of 1186
Thread Starter 
Nokia 920 with default player
UE900 or generic large shallow tip.
256Kb MP3 files.

my home PC:
win8
Media Monkey
Little Dot DAC 1
RW Audio Amp1
FLAC files
post #219 of 1186

Here are more of my thoughts of the KEF M500s and where they rank in my summer long quest on finding great portable headphones:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-psb-m4u2-momentum-mdr-1r-qc15-beats-executive-dt1350-ue9000-beats-studio-2013-and-kef-m500#post_9622611

post #220 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Here are more of my thoughts of the KEF M500s and where they rank in my summer long quest on finding great portable headphones:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-psb-m4u2-momentum-mdr-1r-qc15-beats-executive-dt1350-ue9000-beats-studio-2013-and-kef-m500#post_9622611

 

Very interesting. Thanks!

post #221 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Here are more of my thoughts of the KEF M500s and where they rank in my summer long quest on finding great portable headphones:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-psb-m4u2-momentum-mdr-1r-qc15-beats-executive-dt1350-ue9000-beats-studio-2013-and-kef-m500#post_9622611

I read a while ago your excellent comparison/review and your wow thinkings about the M500s. I probably would have ordered them if the isolation was a little better. Too bad...
Regarding the same quality of sound offered by the M200s, it seems that Kef has entering the headphones market with 2 great products. It has to be noticed that their earphones are not also perfect for some (like me) in term of fit.
Let's do hope that these issues (isolation for the M500s and fit for the M200s) will be upgraded in the future!
post #222 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by denis View Post


Let's do hope that these issues (isolation for the M500s and fit for the M200s) will be upgraded in the future!

 

Let's do hope that these issues will be upgraded by the arrival of, hopefully, a full size portable KEF! eek.gif

post #223 of 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

Let's do hope that these issues will be upgraded by the arrival of, hopefully, a full size portableKEF! eek.gif

With the same sound qualities than its 2 brothers and a MRSP of $400, it would be a very bad news for some headphone makers...
post #224 of 1186

hmm isolation on the m500 was excellent when i tested it...

totally cant hear the salesman 3 feet away trying to explain the features..

it was a total shut out, to me this m500 would kill the NC market....i dun wear specs.

i am puzzled y its rated a 2 in the charts...

can someone else chim in on the isolation...

or were my ears too sweaaaaty...?? lol

 

 

edit: i am a suspecting the size of the head might affect the isolation...

macedonia had issues with the fit of the ue9000 m which fits me fine. 

the m500 is slightly loose on my head.  anyway...jus a guess.


Edited by Lorspeaker - 8/20/13 at 1:14am
post #225 of 1186
Thread Starter 
In regards to the M500 I agree with the 2 for isolation especially compared to noise cancelling headphones.

The M200 also is not a great isolator 3.5 on a scale of 5 for me. But it is good enough for light rail transit.

I also agree with most of MacedonianHero's scores on the M500. Using the stock tips the M200 has similar UPS and downs as the M500 in regards to fit and would actually have a lower comfort value. But sonically speaking I would give the M200 a 5 for bass, mids, and treble. If you address the tip issue (if you have one) by trying 3rd party tips the M200 then easily becomes one of the most comfortable IEM's as well, easily earning a 4.5 in my books, but the isolation never goes higher then a 3.5 in my opinion.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread