Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! - Page 62

post #916 of 1696

If you like LM4562, NJM5532 (from JRC, not TI's NE5532) might be of your interest as well. Same kind of clean sound, but even more neutral than LM4562. Or maybe LME49720, which is slightly more dynamic than LM4562 with pretty much the same sound.

post #917 of 1696
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

If you like LM4562, NJM5532 (from JRC, not TI's NE5532) might be of your interest as well. Same kind of clean sound, but even more neutral than LM4562. Or maybe LME49720, which is slightly more dynamic than LM4562 with pretty much the same sound.

Hi Clieos,

 

I ordered several of the opamps you posted a while back in this thread and am working through them in addition to the stock opamps.

 

In addition to the stock opamps, I've got the following:

LM4562

LME49720

MUSES01

MUSES02

MUSES8820

MUSES8920

NE5532

OPA2227

 

Out of the stock opamps, so far I've enjoyed the AD797 and OPA604 best.

 

The LM4562 is the first non-stock opamp I've tried after modding the case.  I first tried it with my FA DBA02 with some old Megadeth FLAC, and man was it bright!  I was afraid I wasn't going to get along with the LM4562 at all until I switched to Iron Maiden, which was much less bright.  I'm getting used to it now.  Even on the Maiden, upper treble is emphasized more than I'm used to.  Not bad - just different and takes some getting used to.

 

I'm trying to keep each opamp in for a week, so I get used to the sound signature with different IEMs and full-sized HP.  Fun!

 

Cheers,

Nikolaus

post #918 of 1696

I am a firm believer that the whole system should achieve some form of balance to get the best out of them, as a whole. In that sense, LM4562 is probably a bad pairing with the bright DBA-02. I'll probably go for something smoother and warmer - those MUSES should go fairly well with your IEM.

post #919 of 1696
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

I am a firm believer that the whole system should achieve some form of balance to get the best out of them, as a whole. In that sense, LM4562 is probably a bad pairing with the bright DBA-02. I'll probably go for something smoother and warmer - those MUSES should go fairly well with your IEM.
Agreed on the holistic approach. DBA02 were handy, so I thought I'd give them a shot. Now I know why people call them analytical wink.gif. The LM4562 paired better with my Astrotec AX35, and I think they'll pair even better with my FA Eterna v1, Denon D1100, and Beyer DT250-80. Will give a try with my Hifiman HE400,
Somic EFI-82 MT and other various IEMS I've got laying around, as well.

I'm also curious how I'll like the various opamps once I start throwing different music in the mix.

In any case, thanks to Fiio for making the E12 DIY and to you, Clieos, for providing me with the shopping list smily_headphones1.gif.

Cheers,
Nikolaus
Edited by nmatheis - 3/16/14 at 7:31am
post #920 of 1696

@ClieOS I'm loving the OPA1611 (as I've probably said too many times on here already). In your experience, are there any op amps which are similar in presentation, but even better than the OPA1611?

post #921 of 1696

I have just ordered a Muses01 from mouser,

 

hope it is really that good.

 

 

I think i should go get some tool tomorrow and start the filing.!

 

by the way, with the muses01 will the E12 diy be better then the O2?

post #922 of 1696
Quote:
Originally Posted by furyagain View Post

I have just ordered a Muses01 from mouser,

hope it is really that good.


I think i should go get some tool tomorrow and start the filing.!

by the way, with the muses01 will the E12 diy be better then the O2?
Did you check to see if it's cheaper to order from akizukidenshi.com and have shipment prepared by tenso.com? I got the Muses for about half what Mouser was asking by going that route, but I live in the US so YMMV.
post #923 of 1696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post
 

@ClieOS I'm loving the OPA1611 (as I've probably said too many times on here already). In your experience, are there any op amps which are similar in presentation, but even better than the OPA1611?

 

Haven't really spent much time on OPA1611. I'll have to get back to you on a later time.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmatheis View Post


Did you check to see if it's cheaper to order from akizukidenshi.com and have shipment prepared by tenso.com? I got the Muses for about half what Mouser was asking by going that route, but I live in the US so YMMV.

 

If you are ordering only one MUSES, the price comes out relative close between the two, with Mouser maybe $5~$10 more expensive (Mouser is around $75~85, where akizukidenshi+Tenso come out $35 + $15 buying fee + $15 EMS = $70). But Mouser is probably much faster on shipping and you won't need to pay taxes as it has been covered (just be sure you pay with local currency instead of USD). But if you are ordering two and more, buying from Japan is always cheaper as you are only going to pay the buying and EMS once regardless of quantity.

post #924 of 1696

i  dont mind paying abit more  as long as i can get the op amp quick.

 

i do plan to get the muses02 too  may be sometime next month.

 

i really do wonder,,

does it really worth getting op amp like muses01 for e12 diy, which push the whole  device to around 300 dollars,

will one get a better portable amp if paying 300for something else instead.

post #925 of 1696
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

Haven't really spent much time on OPA1611. I'll have to get back to you on a later time.


If you are ordering only one MUSES, the price comes out relative close between the two, with Mouser maybe $5~$10 more expensive (Mouser is around $75~85, where akizukidenshi+Tenso come out $35 + $15 buying fee + $15 EMS = $70). But Mouser is probably much faster on shipping and you won't need to pay taxes as it has been covered (just be sure you pay with local currency instead of USD). But if you are ordering two and more, buying from Japan is always cheaper as you are only going to pay the buying and EMS once regardless of quantity.
Correct, but I was figuring buy from Japan and get both MUSES01 and 02 for around the same price as one of them shipped from Mouser - much more economical. Thanks for tipping me off to akizukidenshi.com, by the way. I never would've ordered MUSES otherwise.
post #926 of 1696

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post

I think the process needs to be documented & described in detail as well if you're doing this with trying to sway Fiio to continue production of these devices for the reason you've stated in mind. The pics are fine in themselves, and sure, you can say 'Someone who knows what they're doing should be able to follow from pic to pic', but let's face it, documenting any detailed process like this is a big plus.

 

Perhaps you could pick a few photos that you like and I could explain what is going on.

post #927 of 1696
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.T. View Post

May, I ask, what is the nature of the modification that helps hearing impaired people? Is it just a volume boost?

I'm not quite sure what the mod does over the regular amp. Just curious.

 

The mod is an inverse filter that compensates for an individual's hearing loss.

It has to be fit like a pair of eyeglasses.

post #928 of 1696
I didn't mean document it for me as such, I meant document it period (the whole process) given you want to try and convince Fiio to keep making them (bearing in mind this device is meant to be a limited run). I figure without the process documented, your chances of convincing Fiio to do this (quite low regardless given this is a limited edition, but you never know I guess) are probably close to zero.

I'd also recommend you forward your pics and the documented process to Fiio directly, James used to spend a fair bit of time in this thread, but he's had personal stuff to deal with of late & hasn't been around as much, Fiio may not end up being aware of this mod you've done if you don't send them the docs/pics directly/if you leave it at just posting to this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattorro View Post


Perhaps you could pick a few photos that you like and I could explain what is going on.
post #929 of 1696

i have a problem,,

 

 

Somehow i am having charging problem,

 when i plus it to the usb, it keep on blinding red, and then eventually it will go solid red,

but when i use it, it will work for 30-45 sec, then stop and then blue light flash several time.

 

anyone got that problem?

 

Thanks

post #930 of 1696
Quote:
Originally Posted by furyagain View Post
 

i have a problem,,

 

 

Somehow i am having charging problem,

 when i plus it to the usb, it keep on blinding red, and then eventually it will go solid red,

but when i use it, it will work for 30-45 sec, then stop and then blue light flash several time.

 

anyone got that problem?

 

Thanks

 

Time to contact FiiO.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !