Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! - Page 53

post #781 of 1983
Let's rename this thread:
TO MUSE OR NOT TO MUSE..........
Seriously, what wase the amps name? Muse E12 DIY????
post #782 of 1983
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

These are what I have for E12DIY so far, including the stock:

 

OPAMP :
LME49860, AD8599, ADA4627-1, LME49990, OPA1642, AD825, LT1028, AD744, OPA627, LT1678, LT1469, LT1358, OPA2111, NE5532, LM4562, LME49720, NJM5532, NJM2114, NJM4580, NJM4558, NJM4556, OP270, OP275, OPA2134, OPA2227, OPA604, OPA2604, AD8397, OPA2209, OPA2107, AD8620, AD8066, AD797, OPA1611, MAX9632, MUSES8820, MUSES8920, MUSES01, MUSES02.

 

Buffer:
LME49600, BUF634, LT1010, LMH6321, HA-5002.

 

Probably not going to get more since I think I have covered almost all the usual choices. Also I have received the Silmic II, along with Nichicon MUSES ES and BlackGate NX Hi-Q from previous LOD project. Now I am waiting for some Wima and Vishay PP film caps to come, as well as AVX OxiCap. Also ordered some pin socket, which I hope to solder in for the caps for future cap rolling. After that I think I am pretty much done with all the mod.

 

:L3000: you must paid quite a lots of money for the OP , sorry for that cause we know you can save the money if we have not produced the E12DIY. 

post #783 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post

Agree.

Where are you getting the Muses?

http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NJR/MUSES01/?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduj4O%252bDyda3JRMwp9%252bdwRWhVThyiPm0vxFw%3D

post #784 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post
 

 

:L3000: you must paid quite a lots of money for the OP , sorry for that cause we know you can save the money if we have not produced the E12DIY. 

 

Ha, I did spend more than the E12DIY itself on parts, but it has also given me by far the best fun I have ever had on any portable amps. It will be my reference portable amps for years to come. In that sense, money well spent I'll say.

post #785 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

Ha, I did spend more than the E12DIY itself on parts, but it has also given me by far the best fun I have ever had on any portable amps. It will be my reference portable amps for years to come. In that sense, money well spent I'll say.

 

LOL. I'll be in the same boat if I pull the trigger on a MUSES01. Do you think the circuitry of the E12DIY is good enough to really compete at the $600+ level given that that's what many of us are spending by the time we add caps and op amps?

post #786 of 1983
Absolutely, this is Fiio joining the big league in amps. Always appreciated the value proposition they offered but now they can stand solely on the sound.
post #787 of 1983

Yeah, I am considering the X5 and ciems as the next 'investment'. Thanks FiiO :etysmile:. My pc is my current source right now, breaks in the music all the time.... X5 + E12DIY + good ciems will be a good combo I guess. 

post #788 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post
 

 

LOL. I'll be in the same boat if I pull the trigger on a MUSES01. Do you think the circuitry of the E12DIY is good enough to really compete at the $600+ level given that that's what many of us are spending by the time we add caps and op amps?

 

If you really want to roll opamp but limited in budget, I reckon either MUSES01 or 02 will be enough. 01 will be more for texture and fullness while 02 is more for soundstage and detail. There are other opamp that sounds really good in E12DIY as well, but not necessary better than MUSES. That way you only invest an extra $50~$100 and you already have one of the best sounding portable amps around. If you want something very neutral, either NJM5532, NE5532, LM4562 or LME49720 will give you some of the cleanness sound with very little cost. Caps mod is relatively minor and you can skip it if you want to. Not that the stock Wima is bad in anyway as even polyester is considered by most to be much less coloured than the majority of electrolytic caps.

 

I have said it elsewhere and I'll repeat it here: don't buy into the idea of higher price = better SQ. Many of the $500+ portable amps don't outperform some of the best sub-$500 portable amps around. Many of them are only expensive because their makers known they can get away with that kind of pricing, not because they are better in anyway. If E12DIY isn't a FiiO but from some smart Western businessman, it would have been priced for $600+ easily.

post #789 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

If you really want to roll opamp but limited in budget, I reckon either MUSES01 or 02 will be enough. 01 will be more for texture and fullness while 02 is more for soundstage and detail. There are other opamp that sounds really good in E12DIY as well, but not necessary better than MUSES. That way you only invest an extra $50~$100 and you already have one of the best sounding portable amps around. If you want something very neutral, either NJM5532, NE5532, LM4562 or LME49720 will give you some of the cleanness sound with very little cost. Caps mod is relatively minor and you can skip it if you want to. Not that the stock Wima is bad in anyway as even polyester is considered by most to be much less coloured than the majority of electrolytic caps.

 

I have said it elsewhere and I'll repeat it here: don't buy into the idea of higher price = better SQ. Many of the $500+ portable amps don't outperform some of the best sub-$500 portable amps around. Many of them are only expensive because their makers known they can get away with that kind of pricing, not because they are better in anyway. If E12DIY isn't a FiiO but from some smart Western businessman, it would have been priced for $600+ easily.

 

Thanks ClieOS. I am hoping to try a pair of OPA627AUs on an adapter soon, but otherwise I am very happy with AD8599 or the supplied OPA1611 with the LME49600 buffer.

 

I'm still not sure whether to bother changing the Wima caps for the supplied alternatives.

post #790 of 1983

Be sure not to buy OPA627 from eBay as they are almost guaranteed to be fake. The SIP socket I ordered should be here by tomorrow or the next day, then hopefully I'll be able to mod the caps and tell you how the Wima compared to the Elna tonerex.

post #791 of 1983

Since budget is limited, can LME49720HA provide 90-95 percent of Muses 1/2 purely in terms of sound quality? Or the difference is much more? 

post #792 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

Be sure not to buy OPA627 from eBay as they are almost guaranteed to be fake. The SIP socket I ordered should be here by tomorrow or the next day, then hopefully I'll be able to mod the caps and tell you how the Wima compared to the Elna tonerex.

 

No, I'm buying from Tam along with some op amps for my Quattro amp

post #793 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamelge View Post
 

Since budget is limited, can LME49720HA provide 90-95 percent of Muses 1/2 purely in terms of sound quality? Or the difference is much more? 

 

LME49720 will be quite different from either of the MUSES. In comparison, both MUSES are more on the richer and fuller side of the presentation (especially 01), while LME49720 is on the leaner, more transparent side. If you are looking for the ultimate transparent opamp to use, NJM5532 or the lesser NE5532 will be my top recommendation, followed by LM4562, then LME49720. Though it is still very transparent, LME49720 has a little more bass kick compared to the other three, which isn't a bad thing if you like just a hint more dynamic. I'll say the difference in SQ isn't vast between LME49720 and MUSES, but one thing that MUSES has a lot more is the overall musicality and fluidity.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post
 

 

No, I'm buying from Tam along with some op amps for my Quattro amp

 

There the question is where Tam sources their opamp from. In any case, does Tam sell opamp without the adapter? You will need to use the included 'side-by-side' adapter in order to fit them in E12DIY. The typical stack-up adapter will be too tall.

post #794 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

LME49720 will be quite different from either of the MUSES. In comparison, both MUSES are more on the richer and fuller side of the presentation (especially 01), while LME49720 is on the leaner, more transparent side. If you are looking for the ultimate transparent opamp to use, NJM5532 or the lesser NE5532 will be my top recommendation, followed by LM4562, then LME49720. Though it is still very transparent, LME49720 has a little more bass kick compared to the other three, which isn't a bad thing if you like just a hint more dynamic. I'll say the difference in SQ isn't vast between LME49720 and MUSES, but one thing that MUSES has a lot more is the overall musicality and fluidity.

Thank you for sharing your impressions on these op amps. Got the message that Muses are more musical and fluid.

post #795 of 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

 

There the question is where Tam sources their opamp from. In any case, does Tam sell opamp without the adapter? You will need to use the included 'side-by-side' adapter in order to fit them in E12DIY. The typical stack-up adapter will be too tall.

 

 

Yeah, I was wondering that too (about sourcing). I'll have to cancel my order for the AMD ones on the top/bottom adapter and see if I can get just the SMD chips only.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !