or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! - Page 39

post #571 of 2232
Thanks, James! Love this amp.
Hopefully it gets a wider release, people need to hear this.
post #572 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

Mine come from Elelment14 (= Newark for those of you in the U.S.). Try searching 'HA9P5002' instead of 'HA-5002'. Intersil has a funny way of using a different part name from the name of the chip themselves. Remember to get the special BrownDog adapter as well.

 

 

 

Hi ClieOS, thank you for your info.:bigsmile_face:  I just ordered some other Opamp from element14 a while ago.   Hope they can ship it together with the HA-5002.  Will check the BD adapter soon.

post #573 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

Will post some picture later.

 

 

As promised:

 

opamp1.jpg

Inside E12DIY: OPA627

1st row (from left): ADA4627-1, OPA1642, AD8599

2nd row: NE5532, LM4562, LME49720, LT1358

3th row: LT1010 x 2

Still got a few more I need to mount when the BrownDog adapters come, namely LME49990, HA-5002, LT1469, and LME49860. Might also order a few more opamp by February but I am not sure yet.

 

opamp2.jpg 

MUSES


Edited by ClieOS - 1/9/14 at 6:54am
post #574 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
It should work. I might get a pair myself later on.

 

Thanks ClieOS. Picked up my DIY today and will try the AD825 tomorrow if time permits.

post #575 of 2232

I'm surprised to find that AD8599 is a great contender to the Muses :bigsmile_face:

http://sg.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=AD8599ARZvirtualkey99990000virtualkey584-AD8599ARZ

 

 

Thanks for this tip. I'm going to order the AD8599 and give it a try.

 

I'm also going to get some OPA627 from Mouser at the same time.

 

I am looking at the various soic8 packages that are available for OPA627. There are two choices of the ones that you can buy in small quantities. One is the OPA627AU. The other the OPA627AUE4. They both ring in at the same price: $25.65 ea.

 

Does anyone know what the difference between these two is? Even after looking at the datasheet, I am not sure.

 

Interestingly, folks have been complaining about the high cost of the OPA627 for years (over $50 for two channels). I guess Muses takes that to a new high. Still, I'll try out Muses once it's easy to get small quantities in the States.

 

Thanks

 

Update: a closer look at the datasheet shows the AUE4 version to be obsolete. Mouser still has them in stock and sells them, but it looks like the AU is the version TI is still producing.


Edited by K.T. - 1/9/14 at 11:09am
post #576 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post
 

seems the E12DIY provides a very good platform so you guys can find the best sound for yourself.

 

Thanks a lot to you and the Fiio team!  You guys are awesome!

I hope in the future, Fiio will have another DIY amp series, both portable and desktop :bigsmile_face: 

 

 

One question James, for the buffer BUF634 & LME49600, they both have wide bandwidth pin that can be activated for wider bandwidth (also draw more power).  Is this wide bandwidth pin used / connected in E12DIY buffers ?

 

 

If I may suggest some features for the next model of DIY amp :wink_face: :

 

1. Universal DIP-8 socket for both single channel and dual channels Op-Amp.

So we don't need adapters, and can easily try more variety of single and dual channels Op-Amps.

Something like this:

 

2. Dual active ground channels.

So total 4 channels:

Left channel

Left ground channel

Right channel

Right ground channel

 

I call it Pseudo Balance Amplifier topology, as per my experiment a few years ago:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/553236/pseudo-balanced-amplifier-pba

 

With Pseudo Balance Amplifier (PBA) topology, we can experience sound improvement of balanced earphones / headphones, without the need of balance source.  The source can be the normal portable player (unbalanced).  Also, the amp doesn't require 4 gangs volume pot which is expensive and rare, the amp can use the normal stereo volume pot.

PBA Topology also immune to phase distortion between the positive output and the negative output that might occurs in balance amplifier. 

 

The amp will be bigger, since there will be 4 active channels compared to the 2 channels of the current E12DIY, but for die hard audiophile and DIYer, I don't think it is a big issue :wink_face:

 

 

Just my 2cents :regular_smile :

Thank you!


Edited by earfonia - 1/9/14 at 5:03pm
post #577 of 2232
Thread Starter 

E12DIY maybe the only one we make for portable amp lovers, everyone known we make money from mass production and that is the key we can set the price at affordable price level.  for E12DIY, it still took our R/D resource and lots of hand work by our workers. and the total quantity is 

 

limited so it is not a good project to us.

post #578 of 2232

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.T. View Post

...

I am looking at the various soic8 packages that are available for OPA627. There are two choices of the ones that you can buy in small quantities. One is the OPA627AU. The other the OPA627AUE4. They both ring in at the same price: $25.65 ea.

 

Does anyone know what the difference between these two is? Even after looking at the datasheet, I am not sure.

...

 

E4 is originally G4, which basically is just TI marking related to how green / RoHS compliance the part is. Doesn't in anyway affect the SQ.

post #579 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post
 

E12DIY maybe the only one we make for portable amp lovers, everyone known we make money from mass production and that is the key we can set the price at affordable price level.  for E12DIY, it still took our R/D resource and lots of hand work by our workers. and the total quantity is 

 

limited so it is not a good project to us.

Hi James,

 

is there a way for us to buy spare E12DIY casing? :P

post #580 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

Mine come from Elelment14 (= Newark for those of you in the U.S.). Try searching 'HA9P5002' instead of 'HA-5002'. Intersil has a funny way of using a different part name from the name of the chip themselves. Remember to get the special BrownDog adapter as well.

 

http://my.element14.com/intersil/ha9p5002-9z/ic-buffer-amplifier-10mhz-soic/dp/2124557

 

is this the correct one? and we need to solder this on a browndog adapter? i am looking at the pins, the space between the pin to be exact, how difficult is it to do a proper soldering? care to share a photo of a completed one?

post #581 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoekeat View Post
 

 

http://my.element14.com/intersil/ha9p5002-9z/ic-buffer-amplifier-10mhz-soic/dp/2124557

 

is this the correct one? and we need to solder this on a browndog adapter? i am looking at the pins, the space between the pin to be exact, how difficult is it to do a proper soldering? care to share a photo of a completed one?

 

Yes. But not just any BrownDog adapter, it must be this: http://cimarrontechnology.com/single-to-dualop-ampadapterpn020302-1.aspx

 

As for how difficult it is - it is exactly the same as any other SMT soldering, harder than your regular soldering but not something you can't master with a bit more patient, sturdy hands and hopeful a solder iron with relatively small tip. I haven't had my BrownDog adapter yet so I can't show you the finished products, but it is the same as the other mounted opamp I posted a few post above. If you want to learn more, check out youtube as there are some tutorial video there. If you never solder anything before however, I won't recommend jumping straight into SMT soldering. You might want to build something like a cmoy first just for practice. If you really don't know how to begin, you can always go to any electronics repair shop and ask them to solder for you for a fee.

post #582 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

Yes. But not just any BrownDog adapter, it must be this: http://cimarrontechnology.com/single-to-dualop-ampadapterpn020302-1.aspx

 

As for how difficult it is - it is exactly the same as any other SMT soldering, harder than your regular soldering but not something you can't master with a bit more patient, sturdy hands and hopeful a solder iron with relatively small tip. I haven't had my BrownDog adapter yet so I can't show you the finished products, but it is the same as the other mounted opamp I posted a few post above. If you want to learn more, check out youtube as there are some tutorial video there. If you never solder anything before however, I won't recommend jumping straight into SMT soldering. You might want to build something like a cmoy first just for practice. If you really don't know how to begin, you can always go to any electronics repair shop and ask them to solder for you for a fee.

 

The two OPA627 will be on both sides, top and bottom of the browndog adapter right?

Any concern that it will be too thick for the E12DIY tight spaces?

post #583 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by earfonia View Post
 

 

The two OPA627 will be on both sides, top and bottom of the browndog adapter right?

Any concern that it will be too thick for the E12DIY tight spaces?

 

Ooopss sorry, I thought the adapter was for OPA627... didn't read the title that it is for HA-5002 to BUF634 adapter....

post #584 of 2232
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doki81 View Post
 

Hi James,

 

is there a way for us to buy spare E12DIY casing? :P

 

sorry , not like other model, there are only one batch of E12DIY so we have not spare parts for E12DIY. and it will be difficult to us to order very small quantity from our supplier. 

post #585 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post
 

 

sorry , not like other model, there are only one batch of E12DIY so we have not spare parts for E12DIY. and it will be difficult to us to order very small quantity from our supplier. 

ouch..ok...i shall be more carefull when i file my case for the muses opamp then ..thanks for the head up.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !