or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! - Page 145

post #2161 of 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

If you are interested in making your own HA-5002 + BrownDog adapter, read this:

 


 


Looking at the pics you posted I'm under the impression that I need to order 2 adapters and 2 HA-5002 chips. Is this correct?

 

I want to order them from BrownDog with the chips pre-mounted to the bottom (no soldering skills):

http://cimarrontechnology.com/buf634adapter.aspx

post #2162 of 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by landroni View Post
 

 


 


Looking at the pics you posted I'm under the impression that I need to order 2 adapters and 2 HA-5002 chips. Is this correct?

 

I want to order them from BrownDog with the chips pre-mounted to the bottom (no soldering skills):

http://cimarrontechnology.com/buf634adapter.aspx

 

BrownDog actually offers pre-mounted HA-5002 these days? That's great. Yep, those are exactly what you need. Be sure to insulate the top if they didn't do it, a piece of sticker or insulating tape will do. Also remember to trim 1mm or so off from each pins.

post #2163 of 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 


 

BrownDog actually offers pre-mounted HA-5002 these days? That's great. Yep, those are exactly what you need. Be sure to insulate the top if they didn't do it, a piece of sticker or insulating tape will do. Also remember to trim 1mm or so off from each pins.


Yes, they also do pre-mounted OPA627, OPA827, LM4562, LME49990:

http://cimarrontechnology.com/so8to8-pindipadapterpn970601-3.aspx

 

A pity they don't offer AD8599...

post #2164 of 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by landroni View Post
 


Yes, they also do pre-mounted OPA627, OPA827, LM4562, LME49990:

http://cimarrontechnology.com/so8to8-pindipadapterpn970601-3.aspx

 

A pity they don't offer AD8599...

 

Those I know. What I meant is that they didn't offer pre-mounted HA-5002 when this thread started some 2 years ago.

post #2165 of 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 


 

Those I know. What I meant is that they didn't offer pre-mounted HA-5002 when this thread started some 2 years ago.


I didn't know I could get the opamps pre-mounted at all. I only discovered this today, and in truth it's a relief as I don't expect to do too well in a "soldering in 13 steps" endeavor... :-)

post #2166 of 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 


 

Those I know. What I meant is that they didn't offer pre-mounted HA-5002 when this thread started some 2 years ago.


I have a query wrt this adapter (and pre-mounted components):

http://cimarrontechnology.com/so8to8-pindipadapterpn970601-3.aspx

 

For me it is clear that LM4562 is dual-channel (like AD8620 in stock E12DIY), so I need to order just one and it will probably fit and work as expected.

 

But what about the single-channel chips? OPA627, OPA827, LME49990? In the stock E12DIY all single-channel chips come in pairs (e.g. OPA1611, two chips mounted on a single "adapter" which is obviously wider than the BrownDog above). Do I order one single-channel OPA627; will that work? Because if I order two of them, I don't see any spare holes in the E12DIY to fit 16 pins...

 

Is there maybe a different adapter that should be used in this case?

post #2167 of 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by landroni View Post


I have a query wrt this adapter (and pre-mounted components):
http://cimarrontechnology.com/so8to8-pindipadapterpn970601-3.aspx

For me it is clear that LM4562 is dual-channel (like AD8620 in stock E12DIY), so I need to order just one and it will probably fit and work as expected.

But what about the single-channel chips? OPA627, OPA827, LME49990? In the stock E12DIY all single-channel chips come in pairs (e.g. OPA1611, two chips mounted on a single "adapter" which is obviously wider than the BrownDog above). Do I order one single-channel OPA627; will that work? Because if I order two of them, I don't see any spare holes in the E12DIY to fit 16 pins...

Is there maybe a different adapter that should be used in this case?

I haven't looked at the online listing, but you're correct that you'll need 2 chips soldered to a single, 8-pin adapter like the ones in the DIY kit.
post #2168 of 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by landroni View Post
 


I have a query wrt this adapter (and pre-mounted components):

http://cimarrontechnology.com/so8to8-pindipadapterpn970601-3.aspx

 

For me it is clear that LM4562 is dual-channel (like AD8620 in stock E12DIY), so I need to order just one and it will probably fit and work as expected.

 

But what about the single-channel chips? OPA627, OPA827, LME49990? In the stock E12DIY all single-channel chips come in pairs (e.g. OPA1611, two chips mounted on a single "adapter" which is obviously wider than the BrownDog above). Do I order one single-channel OPA627; will that work? Because if I order two of them, I don't see any spare holes in the E12DIY to fit 16 pins...

 

Is there maybe a different adapter that should be used in this case?

 

@Loquah is right. You will need to use the stock adapter that comes with E12DIY to mount two single channel opamp onto the same adapter (those empty adapter are inside the metal box, underneath the foam). Those single-to-dual adapter offered by BrownDog will not fit inside E12DIY. If you plug a single channel opamp into the E12DIY's dual channel socket, the opamp will burn.

 

If you need extra empty single-to-dual FiiO adapter, PM me. I still have a few spare.

post #2169 of 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 


 

@Loquah is right. You will need to use the stock adapter that comes with E12DIY to mount two single channel opamp onto the same adapter (those empty adapter are inside the metal box, underneath the foam). Those single-to-dual adapter offered by BrownDog will not fit inside E12DIY. If you plug a single channel opamp into the E12DIY's dual channel socket, the opamp will burn.


 

If you need extra empty single-to-dual FiiO adapter, PM me. I still have a few spare.


Thanks! So far the back of my foam is in pristine condition, so I still have 3 such adapters for use. But in case I'll need one, I'll shout back... :)

 

Yesterday I placed my order with BrownDog for the adapters with pre-mounted dual-channel opamps:

http://cimarrontechnology.com/so8to8-pindipadapterpn970601-3.aspx

 

and these guys are incredibly flexible. While I ordered the LM4562MA, I asked out of curiosity if they provided opamps not included on the listing, e.g. AD8599 or NJM5532. Within the day they added both AD8599 and NE5532 to the listing... Pretty cool.

 

Cooler still, when I inquired if they had a FiiO-like wide single-to-dual adapter, the answer was negative but they seemed quite open to the idea of my supplying them my blank adapters, them soldering the opamps for a (reasonable, I suppose) fee, and shipping them back to me. For those with no soldering tools or expertise, this looks like the best way of getting their hands on opamp upgrades...

post #2170 of 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by landroni View Post
 


Thanks! So far the back of my foam is in pristine condition, so I still have 3 such adapters for use. But in case I'll need one, I'll shout back... :)

 

Yesterday I placed my order with BrownDog for the adapters with pre-mounted dual-channel opamps:

http://cimarrontechnology.com/so8to8-pindipadapterpn970601-3.aspx

 

and these guys are incredibly flexible. While I ordered the LM4562MA, I asked out of curiosity if they provided opamps not included on the listing, e.g. AD8599 or NJM5532. Within the day they added both AD8599 and NE5532 to the listing... Pretty cool.

 

Cooler still, when I inquired if they had a FiiO-like wide single-to-dual adapter, the answer was negative but they seemed quite open to the idea of my supplying them my blank adapters, them soldering the opamps for a (reasonable, I suppose) fee, and shipping them back to me. For those with no soldering tools or expertise, this looks like the best way of getting their hands on opamp upgrades...

 

Ask them if they can get the NJM5532 for you instead, which is probably the best sounding of all the generic 5532 opamp out there. If not, NE5532 is fine as well.

post #2171 of 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 


 

Ask them if they can get the NJM5532 for you instead, which is probably the best sounding of all the generic 5532 opamp out there. If not, NE5532 is fine as well.


I did try with NJM5532, but they weren't sure it would fit the adapter: "The datasheet for the NJM5532 specifies a "DMP-8" package which is similar (but slightly wider) than an SO-8 package. It might fit on a 970601A adapter."

 

For now this is my first foray into non-stock opamps, so for starters I think I'll be happy enough with the NE5532. Maybe I'll try to hassle them for the actual NJM5532 later on.

post #2172 of 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by landroni View Post
 


I did try with NJM5532, but they weren't sure it would fit the adapter: "The datasheet for the NJM5532 specifies a "DMP-8" package which is similar (but slightly wider) than an SO-8 package. It might fit on a 970601A adapter."

 

For now this is my first foray into non-stock opamps, so for starters I think I'll be happy enough with the NE5532. Maybe I'll try to hassle them for the actual NJM5532 later on.

 

You might want to try the DIP8 version of NJM5532 later then, maybe it will fit.

post #2173 of 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 


 

You might want to try the DIP8 version of NJM5532 later then, maybe it will fit.


Can you trim the tips of DIP-8 chip, like you do for the HA-5002?

post #2174 of 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by landroni View Post
 


Can you trim the tips of DIP-8 chip, like you do for the HA-5002?

 

Won't help. It is not the legs that cause the problem, it is the bulk of the body of a regular DIP8 packaging that might be too tall to fit in.

post #2175 of 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post


 

Here are my impression over a few opamps in the E12DIY. I stuck to BUF637 this time and will look into LME49600 some other time.



 

AD8620 - good detail, almost edgy, a little flat on soundstage and lean on lower end texture
MUSES01 - near perfect balance. ultra smooth and full sounding with lots of texture
MUSES02 - Better depth than muses01, more layback with a little less texture
MUSES8820 - similar to MUSES01, but scaled down and not nearly as grand
MUSES8920 - similar to MUSES02, but similarly scaled down like 8820
LME49720HA - very clean and clear with good air and soundstage
OPA2107 - a little mid centric, nothing remarkable
LM4562 - similar to LME49720, even cleaner and leaner, very O2 like.
OPA2209 - a little veil on the mid and lacking detail
AD8066 - great micro-detail and decent soundstage, but otherwise unremarkable
AD797 x2 - neutral but edgy, like AD8620 with better depth
OPA1611 x2 - laidback, if not a little dark
OPA604 x2 - almost like opa1611, rather smooth.



 

So far none of the stock opamp really wow me. Beside MUSES01/02 which I have expected to be pretty good sounding, the only other opamps that really surprised me are the LME49720HA / LM4562 (*they are said to be the same internally), LM4562 in particular is very transparent and clean, giving a similar presentation as O2. It will serve as a great choice for those who are looking for wire-with-gain / colorless style of amplification. MUSES01 and 02 more or less about the same level. 01 has the advantage of having a great balance between detail and texture, while 02 has the advantage of having better layer and soundstage. I'll say 01 is a bit more musical while 02 is a bit more neutral in comparison to each others. Though by themselves, I won't say any one of them is really on the musical or neutral side. They are all fairly well balanced. The opomp I really won't recommend are OPA2209 (or OPA209) and OPA2107. The rest are just unremarkable one way or another.


Does this un-recommendation still hold? I ask because elsewhere on the forum some had suggested OPA2107 as a good opamp filter, and now I notice that Hifiman's flagship HM901s uses these specs: 
DAC chip: ES9018*2
Op-amp: OPA627*2, OPA2107*2


 

While from several reviewers in this thread OPA627 seems to make some kind of consensus as to delivering top-notch sound, OPA2107 seems more controversial...  Could you elaborate a bit more on OPA2107?


Edited by landroni - 10/17/15 at 2:11am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !