Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! - Page 100

post #1486 of 1871
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmatheis View Post


Available as DIP8?

 

No. OPA827 only comes in SOIC and MSOP (which is even smaller than SOIC) packaging. It is a single channel opamp so you must get the SOIC version and mount it on the adapter.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends View Post
 

How is the bass presence and extension?  Would you say the sound is balanced?

Cheers and Thanks!:beerchug:

-HK sends

 

It is not an bassy opamp, as far as my listening go. I'll probably categorize it as being more of a clean and clear type of opamp with a slightly sweeter mid range, quite detail but at the same time not edgy. Kind of like a smoother AD8620 or AD797, with a bigger soundstage. Overall I'll say it is still fairly balanced.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyerdude View Post
 

Is this the OPA827AID version - might just have a go with this one as it is a lot more reasonable than the opa827au

 

Is that the OPA827AID opamp? - Seems a lot more reasonable than that OPA627au

 

Yes, AID is the SOIC version and the right one to use. The other is MSOP version - you can still use it, but it will be much more tricky to solder as it is smaller.

 

OPA827 is recommended by TI as OPA627 replacement. For the most part, I don't think the two are very alike in sound signature, but definitely on par on SQ.

post #1487 of 1871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post
 

 

+1 I agree. I received the replacement case for my DIY 2 days ago - it was very cheap to buy and ship and arrived super fast. Their communication was brilliant in my experience too.


Which colour for the DIY you ordered the case? Mine is gold and they told me they are out of stock for the DIY cases and offered me a black one instead. Is it because I am from Singapore that they did not want to support me on the case replacement?

post #1488 of 1871

I would like to have a black case now. Btw Ive chosen the silver at the beginning.

post #1489 of 1871
Quote:
Originally Posted by delrosa81 View Post
 


Which colour for the DIY you ordered the case? Mine is gold and they told me they are out of stock for the DIY cases and offered me a black one instead. Is it because I am from Singapore that they did not want to support me on the case replacement?

 

Mine was a silver one. Sorry to hear they don't have gold spares

post #1490 of 1871
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

 

OPA827 is recommended by TI as OPA627 replacement. For the most part, I don't think the two are very alike in sound signature, but definitely on par on SQ.

 

Does OPA827 has more bass than OPA627?

I like the bass of AD8599. Is OPA827 bass close to it?

Thanks!

post #1491 of 1871
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

 

It is not an bassy opamp, as far as my listening go. I'll probably categorize it as being more of a clean and clear type of opamp with a slightly sweeter mid range, quite detail but at the same time not edgy. Kind of like a smoother AD8620 or AD797, with a bigger soundstage. Overall I'll say it is still fairly balanced.

 

OPA827 is recommended by TI as OPA627 replacement. For the most part, I don't think the two are very alike in sound signature, but definitely on par on SQ.

 

Would you say 827 is at all like NJM5532?

post #1492 of 1871

I just would like to share recent experience with Fiio E12DIY.

 

Recently I reviewed DUNU DN-1000, DN-2000, and JVC HA-FX850. I used Fiio E12DIY in the review. From comparison with other players, DACs, and amp I used in the review, I realize more of the potential of Fiio E12DIY. It is trully a top tier portable amp in the mid-tier price bracket. Kudos to Fiio!

 

I used Fiio E12DIY with AD8599 Op-Amp + LME49600 buffer in the review, comparing the headphone outputs of Fiio X5 and iBasso DX90, and their line out amplified with E12DIY. What a significant improvement! The headphone outputs of those player simply couldn't realize the full potential of the DUNU DN-2000. For me, E12DIY is a must gear to use when listening my DN-2000 in a portable setup.

 

 

 

 

Comparing the headphone output of DX90 with the line out amplified by E12DIY, using a DIY switch box.

post #1493 of 1871
Quote:
Originally Posted by delrosa81 View Post
 


Which colour for the DIY you ordered the case? Mine is gold and they told me they are out of stock for the DIY cases and offered me a black one instead. Is it because I am from Singapore that they did not want to support me on the case replacement?

 

Gold case is the limited run (within the limited run of E12DIY no less), so it perfectly reasonable it will be the first to run out. Where you are has nothing to do with it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by earfonia View Post
 

 

Does OPA827 has more bass than OPA627?

I like the bass of AD8599. Is OPA827 bass close to it?

Thanks!

 

No, it doesn't come to me as having more bass than OPA627. Bass quantity on OPA827 is roughly the same as AD8599. In fact, the two shares a large portion of their sound signature. I'll say OPA827 is a bit more forwarded while AD8599 sounds a bit more laidback. The most noticing part is the OPA827 has a more energetic lower mid to upper bass range, where AD8599 is more resonated in the same region.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post
 

 

Would you say 827 is at all like NJM5532?

 

I will say OPA827 has the kind of detail in NJM5532, but not in the same sound signature. NJM5532 in E12DIY is the closest of what I think 'transparent' can be, using O2 as a reference. But OPA827 is not what I'll describe as transparent. It still retains a small degree of smoothness and a fainted sense of warm'ishness of OPA627. I'll say it is more like OPA627, loses a bit (but not all) of the warm and smoothness and gains a bit more detail and soundstage.

post #1494 of 1871
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post


No, it doesn't come to me as having more bass than OPA627. Bass quantity on OPA827 is roughly the same as AD8599. In fact, the two shares a large portion of their sound signature. I'll say OPA827 is a bit more forwarded while AD8599 sounds a bit more laidback. The most noticing part is the OPA827 has a more energetic lower mid to upper bass range, where AD8599 is more resonated in the same region.

Thank you!
If i understand correctly, more bass dynamic and bass texture on OPA827?

Same spaciousness as AD8599?
post #1495 of 1871
Quote:
Originally Posted by earfonia View Post


Thank you!
If i understand correctly, more bass dynamic and bass texture on OPA827?

Same spaciousness as AD8599?

 

As compare to OPA627? No.

 

AD8599 might be a bit more specious due to its laidbackness, but the two are close.

post #1496 of 1871
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

As compare to OPA627? No.

AD8599 might be a bit more specious due to its laidbackness, but the two are close.

As compare to AD8599, Is OPA827 bass has better dynamic and texture?
Tx!
post #1497 of 1871
Quote:
Originally Posted by earfonia View Post


As compare to AD8599, Is OPA827 bass has better dynamic and texture?
Tx!

 

Yes.

post #1498 of 1871

Thanks for all your amazing recommendations, ClieOS!

 

I have one final question regarding OPA627 vs OPA827. Other than a more neutral sound, does OPA827 offer any other significant benefits over the OPA627?

post #1499 of 1871

I just notice:

OPA627 slew rate: 55V/µs

OPA827 slew rate: 28V/µs

 

OPA827 slew rate is about half the slew rate speed of OPA627.

Still much higher than what required for audio, but there is certainly some differences there.

post #1500 of 1871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post
 

 

Mine was a silver one. Sorry to hear they don't have gold spares


Oic, thanks for the info :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !