Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! - Page 77

post #1141 of 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumoffuXx View Post
 

just to clarify muses01 is a dip-3 chip and the e12 case WILL not have enough clearance for it? how much and where in the case do i have to file down? just need to confirm before i try anything lol

 

DIP-8. There is no such thing as DIP-3, AFAIK.

 

Whether the opamp will clear the case or not depends on the case itself. A few lucky individuals have no problem on clearance on DIP8 opamp, but most of us do and need to mod our case.

 

The instruction is on page 30, but here it is again:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

In the spirit of DIY, I took the time to sand down the case so it will accommodate a DIP8 packaged opamp better.

 

E12DIYM-01.jpg

 

I used some masking tape just to mark the area that needed to grind down. You will have to go about as deep as the microUSB opening, around 23mm or so.

 

E12DIYM-02.jpg

 

I took out roughly 1mm or so in material, basically half-ing the overall thickness.

 

E12DIYM-03.jpg 

 

Now the DIP8 opamp sitting flush inside the case without bending the PCB or applying any stress.

 

 


Edited by ClieOS - 5/13/14 at 8:20pm
post #1142 of 1682

sorry typoed i meant dip-8 lol! :x

 

thank you sir :D

post #1143 of 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

No, it is because the HA-5002 adapter is designed to mount two HA-5002 (stacking for double the output), one on the top and another on the bottom. But the space in E12DIY can only accommodate the bottom one. If you solder the HA-5002 on the top, you will never be able to close the case up.

 

Here is how the HA-5002 + adapter should look like. Also, forgot to mention that you need to trim off just 1mm or so from every pins. See the first picture for reference.

 

HA5002-3.jpg

 

HA5002-4.jpg 

 

Thanks for the explanation.

 

Would the HA-5002 fit on top of the adapter if the pins were trimmed down further? I don't understand why other SOIC chips fit on top of the adapters, but the HA5002 has to go underneath? :confused:

post #1144 of 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post
 

 

Thanks for the explanation.

 

Would the HA-5002 fit on top of the adapter if the pins were trimmed down further? I don't understand why other SOIC chips fit on top of the adapters, but the HA5002 has to go underneath? :confused:

 

No. Because the pins themselves have long "shoulder" that prevents it to go any deeper. It is so that there will be room left for a second chip to be mounted underneath

 

Look at the below graph, the R1 to R2 is the shoulder. R2 to the slimmer end is the pin that insert into the socket. So regardless of how far you trim the pin, you will never get pass the shoulder as that's what stopping the whole pin from going into the socket. The only way around it is to remove the whole pin together and replace it will a pin that has shorter shoulder. But then you need to order special pins for the job.

 

cc_shoulder_ejector_pins_im.jpg 

 

As for your second question: It is because on your normal BrownDog single SOID to DIP adapter, they come with pins with short shoulder because they are meant to mount on only one side. If it is a dual SOIC to single DAP, they will have the long shoulder pins as well. The issue is, HA-5002 adapter only comes with dual-to-single version and we have no other choice.


Edited by ClieOS - 5/13/14 at 8:33pm
post #1145 of 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

No. Because the pins themselves have long "shoulder" that prevents it to go any deeper. It is so that there will be room left for a second chip to be mounted underneath

 

Look at the below graph, the R1 to R2 is the shoulder. R2 to the slimmer end is the pin that insert into the socket. So regardless of how far you trim the pin, you will never get pass the shoulder as that's what stopping the whole pin from going into the socket. The only way around it is to remove the whole pin together and replace it will a pin that has shorter shoulder. But then you need to order special pins for the job.

 

cc_shoulder_ejector_pins_im.jpg 

 

As for your second question: It is because on your normal BrownDog single SOID to DIP adapter, they come with pins with short shoulder because they are meant to mount on only one side. If it is a dual SOIC to single DAP, they will have the long shoulder pins as well. The issue is, HA-5002 adapter only comes with dual-to-single version and we have no other choice.

so the by mounting the chip on the bottom its within the "protected" region of the shoulders? theres no difference in top or bottom right? its strictly based on the design of the pins?

post #1146 of 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumoffuXx View Post
 

so the by mounting the chip on the bottom its within the "protected" region of the shoulders? theres no difference in top or bottom right? its strictly based on the design of the pins?

 

For HA-5002  only, yes. No difference between top and bottom as they are in stacking configuration. For other dual-to-single adapter however, no, as they are not stacking two chips but instead converting two single channel to one dual channels.

post #1147 of 1682

this is very complicated lol!

post #1148 of 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumoffuXx View Post
 

this is very complicated lol!

 

Think of this as a train -

 

when stacking, you are basically using two locomotives (two buffers) pulling on the same direction (single channel). So both are doing the same thing regardless of whether whether they are on the 1st or 2nd position. Even if you disable one of the engine of the locomotive, the other is still pulling the train in the same direction, despite the train now having half the power.

 

One normal dual-to-single adapter, you are like using two engines (two opamp) on one single train (the dual-to-signel adapter) that is running on parallel tracks (left and right channel), where one engine pull the right wheel while the other pull the left wheel. So basically both engines must be in sync and have to work at the same time. If one of the engine isn't working, the one side of the wheel won't work (no sound).

post #1149 of 1682

so the LME49600 they are...lemme think 2 single buffers for 2 seperate slots on the same PCB? :o

post #1150 of 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumoffuXx View Post
 

so the LME49600 they are...lemme think 2 single buffers for 2 seperate slots on the same PCB? :o

 

Buffer usually only comes in single channel package (one channel per chip). While opamp can be either be one or two channels, sometime even four channels on a single chip. The socket in E12DIY is configured to be two single channel sockets for buffer, and one dual channels socket for opamp.

post #1151 of 1682

ahh i see i see ok so when using muses01:

1. its a single? channel opamp?

2. is there a right or wrong way to slot it in? 

post #1152 of 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumoffuXx View Post
 

ahh i see i see ok so when using muses01:

1. its a single? channel opamp?

2. is there a right or wrong way to slot it in? 

 

1. MUSES01 is a dual channels chip.

 

2. The 'dot' or 'dent' on the opamp must be facing the same direction as the 'dent' on the socket. Insert it the wrong way will almost always result in the burn-out of the chip. Observe the dot and dent on the opamp below and the dent on the socket.

 

OPA637BP-1.jpg

 

p/s: You really should check the datasheet of any opamp / buffer you want to use before trying. Most of the fine detail might not make any sense but the introduction in the datasheet usually is easy enough to understand and will give you a pointer or two.

post #1153 of 1682

*salute thanks very informative! :D hope to bump into u in E1 sometimes :P

post #1154 of 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumoffuXx View Post
 

*salute thanks very informative! :D hope to bump into u in E1 sometimes :P

 

I'll probably be there sometime later next week, checking out a few of the newer stuffs. :p

post #1155 of 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

The stock Wima sounds like most film caps I tried, clean, sharp, dry, good sparkle and micro-detail but also a bit grainy in the treble. Tonerex on the other hand is richer, smoother, with better depth (film caps tend to sound flat). You lost a bit of the sparkle and sharpness, but in exchange the presentation is more musical. The difference between Tonerex and Simlic II actually isn't very big. They are similar in presentation, but Silmic II has a wider overall image and space. So in a way Tonerex can be considered a step-down of Silmic II.

 

Thanks for this great info, ClieOS. The swappable sockets are a great idea. Are they available at PartsConnexion?

 

I'm looking up the Silmic IIs on PartsConnexion as we speak, and they come in 2 voltage ratings: either 50V or 100V. Both caps are of the same size and dimensions for the 2.2uF units.

 

Seems either would work, but is there any bearing on the sound quality?

 

I've read in the past how the higher wattage models of certain tantalum resistors sounded better, but this is a different thing all together. Still, it makes me wonder if there's something about different voltage models that may be audible. Anyone experiment with it yet?

 

How did those Blackgates work out? I recall they didn't quite sound good, but that was a while ago, and it seems those BGs take a lifetime to burn in. I probably have some BGs sitting around in my parts box, but they may take too long to settle.

 

I finally got the time to solder my OPA627s onto my adapter boards. Very good. In an elevated league vs. the included chips. Very, very nice so far.

 

If anything, the bass could be a bit tighter. But maybe that will improve with burn in. Right now I've listened to them for less than an hour.

 

And I've only listened to them on the Audio Technica M50s so far. I think those phones have a slightly tubby/loose bass, so might also be a synergy issue with those.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !