try mad dog headphone great for rock music.
- productBeyerdynamic Custom One Pro Blacktagged by nightmancometh, 8/2/13
- productBose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/2/13
- productSoundMAGIC HP100 Premium Over-the-Ear Folding Headphonetagged by nightmancometh, 8/2/13
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-100tagged by nightmancometh, 8/2/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Opinions on best portable headphones for $250 or less Last post on 2/17/14 at 7:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What would you buy with $1,000 if you were me? Last post on 12/30/13 at 2:45pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Best headphones for my needs? (Bass heavy, noise isolating, noise canceling) Last post on 12/18/13 at 7:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best headphones for under $350 give or take some. Last post on 6/27/14 at 8:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Audio-Technica US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. I can’t imagine a better way to wrap up a series of...
First off, I want to thank Faheem and Singnature Acoustics for this O-16 Live unit and apologize for the humongous delay (it’s been very long) of this review. Packaging and...
These were actually my first pair of mixing headphones. I can definitely say they worked for me at the time, but this is also the time I did not acknowledge the importance of EQ & compression. I...
In my search for a good pair of earbuds, these where my next try. Better than the previous maxell I bought, but definitely the search must keep going. My ratings are; Bass 2/5,...
Grado SR80i Intro Thingy: I was wondering if I should even review the SR80i because Grado's e series cans came out not too long ago and I was thinking noone would heed my review 'cause the...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
2013 best heaphone (Under 300) for music. - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
No I Haven't but most cans in the $300 price range tend to have simmilar levels of quality, the differance between them is their Sound Signitures and coloration. I have heard the k550 and Mad Dog and ath a900x
But still at $99 dollars, there's not really a better BANG for your dollar Neutral Closed Back, so if he needs an amp and a dac, it will sound better to have Amp dac and $100 can, then let's so $200 can and only an amp
And I can understand the others may have a sound sig he prefers better, I prefer the K550 over the ath a900x, but I already have an oDac and an Amp, so I can afford to spend the Extra $60
He needs around the ear and, I suspect, closed.
BeyerDynamic DT660 for a lot less than $300.
Your right it's not
I guess if you have a limited Budget [putting everything at "used prices] the Ath a900x beats all of those recommendations due to it's price. It''s the quality of a Mid Fi can at low Fi prices. The other thing to consider is if an amp and dac are needed. If you NEED an amp and a Dac [because they really do improve sound, even with cans that do not need amps, a Dac will improve quality, and you thus need an amp to adjust the volume from the Dac to get the best sound from the dac]
So again, let's assume you hae a $300 budget, no amp and no dac and you want a head phone. The Ath a900x at used price is going to be your best purchase, is it will allow you to have more money for other quality improving compents
Now let's assume you already have a dac and an Amp, then it's all down to preferance. I prefer the Akg K550, and I already have a Dac and Amp.
As far as sound quality goes, I have my Ath a900x sitting with me. The quality is the same as the Akg K550. Both retain details well and have good dynamic shifts. The differance between the two is Sound Signiture. I prefer the Sound of the Akg K550 over the Ath A900x, others feel the oppisite way
In addition the Ath a900x is MUCH easier to fit on your head than is the K550, we know the K550 changes DRASTICALLY with it's Fit. The Ath A900x is not prone to this as much [It has more clamp than the Akg K550 and the Wing System works sufficently well] So assuming more people will fit a ath a900x it is also a better choice for it's ease of use in that regard.
BUT purely based on BANG for your BUCK, the Ath A900x is a clear winner. If you need a money for other compents [and the OP does, does he not] then the Ath a900x is going to allow him to have a better overall experince due to it being pair'd with a better source and an amp. Where as the K550 with only a Dac or only an Amp will not sound as good as the Ath a900x out of a clean source and an amp.
That being said I personally prefer the sound of the AKG K550, but it is not as good a value for some one new as the Ath a900x.
I never said it IS the best sounding headphone ever, I said it is ONE OF THE best sounding headphones ever, what is the truth for me, because I don't see many peolple complaining about them, and I see lots of producers working with them. I have never heard of the hp100 so I can't say anything about it
Edited by Gilly87 - 8/21/13 at 4:48pm
I'm still going to recommend the Ath a 900x. It has a very agreeable sound signiture, and for any one getting into the hooby. For $105 it's a great starting can! It has the clarity and details of my w1000x, but ofx is not as refined, Either way it's a good can, the mids are clear and have a nice attack, and the bass has great body and reaches deep. For some one who might not be used to TIGHT bass on cans like the Akg K550 or Beyer Dt 880, it's a great way to get into a better quality and more textured bass over what you might here on theM100 [ which anything with a frequancy response of more than +5 around 100hrz your going to lose a touch of texture, unless you've got something really high end [Th 600 and TH 900] or your running with an excellent amp and Dac]
My point being, get to enjoy cans with less bass than something like the M100, it will help you appreciate the texture of bass, and enjoy it as a part of the whole song and not just as pure BASS
Trust me I started on a SUPER bassy can and I recently got a JDS labs C5 with a bass boost... and the boost was TO MUCH. It took away from the mids. Anything with a lot of BASS will detract from the mids. So it's nice to get a feel for what a more neutral bass is, so you can understand when you like neutral bass and when you like it COLORED [and I still don't like a WHOLE lot of bass in my Edm. but ofc I still EQ my dt 990s for a touch more <3]
But still, trying something more balanced and fun like the Ath a900x, Beyer Dt 770 and Akg K550, all can be had for under about $200 or so if you get em used!
- 2013 best heaphone (Under 300) for music.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) 3 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › WTB 128 micro sd card: sandisk or samsung 6 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 7 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS Altone350 impressions and Australian review tour thread. 7 minutes ago
- › [WTB] Ultimate Ears 900S 8 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › MEElectronics M-Duo by Luckbad
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones by ilovesocks
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by Dickymint
- › Headphones EB-BL Jelleez Ear Buds Black by LuigiSound
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by 1Infinity
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2