- 140 Posts. Joined 7/2013
- Location: Hendersonville,TN
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- yo. just adopted a pair of ath m50s Last post on 12/7/13 at 2:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- ath-m50s now what Last post on 12/11/13 at 7:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH M50 Gaming Performance question. Last post on 12/5/13 at 9:52am in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50s Review Last post on 11/30/13 at 2:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones in iphone vs Laptop Last post on 11/24/13 at 10:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Do not buy an Astell & Kern 120. It claims 192Gb memory, but it indexes and uses only the internal memory - 64gb. The external SD cards carry files but do not show up on the device. Money spent...
Astell & Kern AKR01 Jimmy Moon at Astell & Kern was kind enough to lend me a pair of AKR01's for review. Big thanks to him. Anyways, review ahead! What are they: I notice that I haven't...
Heir audio was once thought to be the next king of IEMs. Rave reviews was floating everywhere online. The air around these IEMs were so enticing that one who has never heard them would be drawn to...
I have to say, as introduction: I'm not an audiophile, just an "enhanced" user with more than 20 years of analogic and digital listen. I use mainly portable devices, some Fii amplifier, and I...
I'm still a newbie in the headphone category, just starting to try out all the hyped ones like SRH840, HD650/600 etc from the beginning of this year. Now I'm left with this, HD600, and DT880....
Sennheiser 558 or ath-m50?post #1 of 117/30/13 at 6:27pmThread StarterHello I am looking for a good headphone with great clarity. I want it to be for outside. It needs to be comfy. Sennheiser 558 or ath-m50?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 117/30/13 at 9:57pm
M50 if you want some attenuation of ambient sounds and avoid bothering other people with sound leaking from your headphones, HD558 if you don't care about that. I keep reading that M50 has copious bass and treble, and then I know that HD558 has a more balanced out sound and little extra bass. If you want a closed, full-sized headphone with very good balance in sound, there's HD380Pro and SRH840.
It would help if you mentioned what kind of music you will be listening to.post #3 of 117/30/13 at 11:41pmQuote:
I'm assuming these headphone are going to be use while traveling or walking?
Check out the JVC HA-S500post #4 of 117/30/13 at 11:44pmNot sure what"/ your price range, but for open, yes the HD558 is good but for closed, if you are looking for bassy headphone, you are better off with UE6000 or the SRH-840 for more balanced sound
Hope it helps!
Billsonpost #5 of 117/31/13 at 3:50am
Why not consider yourself some good pair of IEMS instead of headphones? You get better portability that way! Plus they look discreet when walking outside and you won't be turning heads like with wearing big headphones in public!post #6 of 117/31/13 at 5:29amQuote:
However, you will get better sound quality with full-size headphones in comparison to IEM but IEM offer better isolation
Billsonpost #7 of 117/31/13 at 6:43amQuote:
Yep thats true, you have got point!post #8 of 117/31/13 at 6:55amThread StarterMy price range is about $150. And I listen to electronic and dubstep etc. I would really like full sized headphones, because I don't like the iems. I have some but I feel like headphones give me a more natural sound than just something being stuffed in my ear.Quote:post #9 of 117/31/13 at 10:38am
I use to own a pair of 558s and have listened to my cousin's M50s extensively. Both are very good pairs of headphones for around the 100-120 dollar mark. However, if you mainly plan to use these for outside use I strongly recommend the V-Moda M80s instead. The M80s, in my opinion, sound very similar to the M50s but are much smaller and compact than the M50s and are built like a tank with almost all metal construction and very flexible headband. You would probably have to try and purposely destroy these in order for them to break. You can find used like new ones on the classifieds here for around 100 dollars and I think they will serve your purpose well.post #10 of 117/31/13 at 10:40amThread Starterpost #11 of 117/31/13 at 9:43pmIf EDM is what you listen to mostly, HD5xx series may not be what you are looking for as itdoes not have the bass you need! I would suggest you to look into V-Modas
- Sennheiser 558 or ath-m50?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Music Game IX 25 seconds ago
- › Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. 1 minute ago
- › Unique Melody double/triple hybrid universals announced: UM 2X & 3X... 1 minute ago
- › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret 1 minute ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 2 minutes ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 2 minutes ago
- › M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics) 3 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Heir Audio 5.0 by surge
- › Philips Fidelio S1 by pignolo
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by alflying
- › Dunu DN-1000 by Brooko
- › Heir Audio 3.Ai by hapopo
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by JoeDoe
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by HPuser9083
- › Ray Samuels Audio F-35 Lightning by HeadphoneAddict
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe