- 140 Posts. Joined 7/2013
- Location: Hendersonville,TN
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Beginner looking for amp/DAC advice Last post on 2/13/15 at 11:38am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Which ATH M50 to get ? Last post on 12/26/14 at 1:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Audio Technica ATH-M50S Last post on 8/17/14 at 3:59pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- asus b85m-g .. audio technica ath-m50 Last post on 5/29/14 at 4:07am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ear Fatigue After EQing (ATH-M50) Last post on 6/1/14 at 8:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
Sennheiser 558 or ath-m50?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
M50 if you want some attenuation of ambient sounds and avoid bothering other people with sound leaking from your headphones, HD558 if you don't care about that. I keep reading that M50 has copious bass and treble, and then I know that HD558 has a more balanced out sound and little extra bass. If you want a closed, full-sized headphone with very good balance in sound, there's HD380Pro and SRH840.
It would help if you mentioned what kind of music you will be listening to.
I'm assuming these headphone are going to be use while traveling or walking?
Check out the JVC HA-S500
Hope it helps!
Why not consider yourself some good pair of IEMS instead of headphones? You get better portability that way! Plus they look discreet when walking outside and you won't be turning heads like with wearing big headphones in public!
However, you will get better sound quality with full-size headphones in comparison to IEM but IEM offer better isolation
Yep thats true, you have got point!
I use to own a pair of 558s and have listened to my cousin's M50s extensively. Both are very good pairs of headphones for around the 100-120 dollar mark. However, if you mainly plan to use these for outside use I strongly recommend the V-Moda M80s instead. The M80s, in my opinion, sound very similar to the M50s but are much smaller and compact than the M50s and are built like a tank with almost all metal construction and very flexible headband. You would probably have to try and purposely destroy these in order for them to break. You can find used like new ones on the classifieds here for around 100 dollars and I think they will serve your purpose well.
- Sennheiser 558 or ath-m50?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Three Word Story 4 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 27 seconds ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype) 1 minute ago
- › Fidue A73 - Hybrid (1DD + 1BA) IEM - Impressions and discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO Releases EX1 Aerospace Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Is this a good soundcard? 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 4 minutes ago
- › Krell KSA 5 Clone (China) 4 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Mediahound
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by peter123
- › Sennheiser HD8 DJ On Ear Headphones by LAmitchell
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ade_hall
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by eke2k6
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by Skylarke
- › Heaven VII by peter123
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3