Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser 558 or ath-m50?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser 558 or ath-m50?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hello I am looking for a good headphone with great clarity. I want it to be for outside. It needs to be comfy. Sennheiser 558 or ath-m50?
post #2 of 11

M50 if you want some attenuation of ambient sounds and avoid bothering other people with sound leaking from your headphones, HD558 if you don't care about that.  I keep reading that M50 has copious bass and treble, and then I know that HD558 has a more balanced out sound and little extra bass.  If you want a closed, full-sized headphone with very good balance in sound, there's HD380Pro and SRH840.

 

It would help if you mentioned what kind of music you will be listening to.

post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkidsforlife View Post

Hello I am looking for a good headphone with great clarity. I want it to be for outside. It needs to be comfy. Sennheiser 558 or ath-m50?

I'm assuming these headphone are going to be use while traveling or walking?

Check out the JVC HA-S500

post #4 of 11
Not sure what"/ your price range, but for open, yes the HD558 is good but for closed, if you are looking for bassy headphone, you are better off with UE6000 or the SRH-840 for more balanced sound

Hope it helps!
Billson smily_headphones1.gif
post #5 of 11

Why not consider yourself some good pair of IEMS instead of headphones? You get better portability that way! Plus they look discreet when walking outside and you won't be turning heads like with wearing big headphones in public!

post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassheadspl View Post

Why not consider yourself some good pair of IEMS instead of headphones? You get better portability that way! Plus they look discreet when walking outside and you won't be turning heads like with wearing big headphones in public!

However, you will get better sound quality with full-size headphones in comparison to IEM but IEM offer better isolation

Billson smily_headphones1.gif
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post


However, you will get better sound quality with full-size headphones in comparison to IEM but IEM offer better isolation

Billson smily_headphones1.gif


Yep thats true, you have got point!

post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
My price range is about $150. And I listen to electronic and dubstep etc. I would really like full sized headphones, because I don't like the iems. I have some but I feel like headphones give me a more natural sound than just something being stuffed in my ear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassheadspl View Post

Why not consider yourself some good pair of IEMS instead of headphones? You get better portability that way! Plus they look discreet when walking outside and you won't be turning heads like with wearing big headphones in public!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post

Not sure what"/ your price range, but for open, yes the HD558 is good but for closed, if you are looking for bassy headphone, you are better off with UE6000 or the SRH-840 for more balanced sound

Hope it helps!
Billson smily_headphones1.gif
post #9 of 11

I use to own a pair of 558s and have listened to my cousin's M50s extensively.  Both are very good pairs of headphones for around the 100-120 dollar mark.  However, if you mainly plan to use these for outside use I strongly recommend the V-Moda M80s instead.  The M80s, in my opinion, sound very similar to the M50s but are much smaller and compact than the M50s and are built like a tank with almost all metal construction and very flexible headband.  You would probably have to try and purposely destroy these in order for them to break.  You can find used like new ones on the classifieds here for around 100 dollars and I think they will serve your purpose well.

post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Thanks!
post #11 of 11
If EDM is what you listen to mostly, HD5xx series may not be what you are looking for as itdoes not have the bass you need! I would suggest you to look into V-Modas

Billson smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser 558 or ath-m50?