Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › First nice set for $500 or less (looking for good bang for the buck):
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First nice set for $500 or less (looking for good bang for the buck): - Page 2

post #16 of 39

With amp:

Senn HD6xx,

Beyer DT880

AKG K701 (these three are the old school top tier)

Mad Dog

 

Without amp:

Senn HD5XX

Denon D2000

Philips Fidelio X1 or L1 might make the list

 

 

I still reiterate that I do not think the HE-500 is right for you. 

post #17 of 39
The HD6X0 are till a great buy, but I thought that the HE500 properly amped sounded better. However, the HE500s keep on feeling like they are going to slip off their head and they are quite heavy.
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd007 View Post

then a used he500 would be the best for your budget given your preferences IMO

Or I have one for you,

 

the Audio Technica w1000x, they are $500 new and around $350 used. they sound amazing... Very Neutral, great speration and imaging. Look it up to read the reviews and ofc if you buy one stock, you'll want to do the Purrin Mod to it as well as get either L3000 or $JMoney pads for it [the pads n Mod [have to buy Dynex for Mod] make it cost around $500] Still EVERY now and then some one sells a w1000x modded with new Pads 

 

But I love mine, and Headaphonia reviewers like the w1000x over the He 500, and trust me the detail in my w1000x in on par with my Open Dt 880s [the trebele is not as well extended due to them being closed ofc]

 

Non the less you might even try a w3000x or so stock for around $500 [ironically I use Audio Technica L3000 Pads on my w1000x [I belive the W3000x is the anniversy addition of the L3000. so the pads should be simmilar] 

post #19 of 39
Thread Starter 

Cool, thanks for the posts!  Looks like I have my work cut out for me, now just gotta get up a couple of hours before my daughter tomorrow so I can read up.

 

Sounds like comfort level on the HE-500 is pretty low.  I'll check out the AT w1000x...   

I have heard a pair of Beyers (don't remember the model for sure but they had louvers on the outside) a few years back at a Can-Jam...  I thought comfort level was very high I liked the sound but thought they lacked a little bass weight...  long time ago so take that with a grain of salt...  but something that comfortable would be ideal!

post #20 of 39
Thread Starter 

So... after reading a bit more this morning, I am leaning heavily toward the HD-650.  

 

Though now I am also interested in the Vmoda M-100, and I think the Sennheiser HD25-1 II might have a place (as a portable set) for me as well.  And, I turned up the Sony MDR-1R...

 

Even though I think the sound of the HiFiman HE-500 might suit me, I think they are out for this purchase...  too expensive, even used.

post #21 of 39

The M-100 and MDR-1R didn't seem too impressive based on measurements I've seen, and I've heard mixed subjective impressions on them as well (Note: I tend not to frequent HF impression threads, as you're almost guaranteed to get many people loving on anything no matter how bad it might actually be). I'd do a lot of research on those before purchasing, though you might decide that's what you're looking for.

 

If you're interested in the HD650, you really need to consider the Mad Dog. From what I've gathered, they're both fairly neutral but tilted towards a darker/warmer side. You can't go wrong with either (or the HD600), but you would need to decide if an open headphone would suit you OK. I have read reports of people needing to swap out the pads on the HD650 every couple years depending on use.

 

The nice thing about the Mad Dog is that you'll save money compared to many other comparable sets. I'd use that extra $200 towards something like the Schiit Modi/Magni combo, because the MD really benefits from a strong DAC and amp. Or maybe you need a portable amp. Or maybe you just want to pocket that extra $200 you'd save compared to your $500 budget. ;)

 

Edit: I just saw that you mentioned wanting a HP that would work OK without an amp. I can't speak for the HD650, but the Mad Dog works rather well off portable sources. I tried it out of an iPhone 5, and it sounded good. It lost some of the heft and bass, but it still had some punch to it (it wasn't bass light). It didn't get crazy loud, but it's enough for most music (it helps that the MD is closed-back). It sounded even better from my HTC One (volume was about the same, but some of the missing bass came back). Based on impressions I've read, the HD650 doesn't do as well from portable sources. I have never used a HD650, so I can't verify.

 

I also saw you mentioned wanting a D2000. Having had one, you could expect somewhat big bass that is a bit muddy (not bad, though), recessed mids, and treble that can be a bit bright, rough, and sibilant at times. The Mad Dog, in comparison, offers what I'd consider to be better/more neutral bass (still plenty of it), better/more pronounced mids, and a smoother top end that doesn't have any less detail than the D2000. It's a cleaner, smoother, more natural sounding headphone overall, IMO.

 

I can't stress how great of a value the Mad Dog is in its current state. Plus, Dan (MrSpeakers) has a great 15-day return policy if you decide they're not for you.


Edited by hans030390 - 8/4/13 at 12:23am
post #22 of 39

I see a lot of mention about these Mad Dogs. Sounds like at least a definite try even being a closed headphone.

post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk77 View Post

I see a lot of mention about these Mad Dogs. Sounds like at least a definite try even being a closed headphone.

The Mad Dogs are a VERY warm and Dark Can, that are still nuetral and very tight. They sound TERRIBLE with a TERRIBLE Source, and they scale really well. So if you are going to be useing these at home and you like Darker music, like RnB Hip Hop and EDM the Mad dogs are great. I really loved my Mad Dogs with Nu Jazz and Jazz as well, and for me the Mad Dogs where very situational, again I could not use them for all around but for the music they worked with, they worked wonders. So I wouldn't get them as your first set unless you REALLY like dark music. But really though, they are great cans... I'm still waiting for my chance to have enough funds to buy them xD [or rather to justify the need to buy them] 

post #24 of 39

I wouldn't describe them as very warm or dark, at least relative to a lot of other headphones. They're fairly neutral but slightly tilted towards a darker/warmer/laid-back sound. At least, that's how I perceive it. :)

 

You'd have to have a really terrible source to mess them up, IMO. They sounded pretty good from the iPhone 5 and HTC One.

post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans030390 View Post

I wouldn't describe them as very warm or dark, at least relative to a lot of other headphones. They're fairly neutral but slightly tilted towards a darker/warmer/laid-back sound. At least, that's how I perceive it. :)

 

You'd have to have a really terrible source to mess them up, IMO. They sounded pretty good from the iPhone 5 and HTC One.

Out of my Hm 601 and my Millet Max Hybrid Tube, they where the mids where gawd awfully thick and cumbersome 

post #26 of 39
Thread Starter 

I will look more into the MadDogs

 

And yes anything saved could go into an amp!

post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

The Mad Dogs are a VERY warm and Dark Can, that are still nuetral and very tight. They sound TERRIBLE with a TERRIBLE Source, and they scale really well. So if you are going to be useing these at home and you like Darker music, like RnB Hip Hop and EDM the Mad dogs are great. I really loved my Mad Dogs with Nu Jazz and Jazz as well, and for me the Mad Dogs where very situational, again I could not use them for all around but for the music they worked with, they worked wonders. So I wouldn't get them as your first set unless you REALLY like dark music. But really though, they are great cans... I'm still waiting for my chance to have enough funds to buy them xD [or rather to justify the need to buy them] 

 

Not sure if I want something warmer and darker than the HE-500. Starting to prefer neutral and slightly north of neutral nowadays. I think HE-500 is bordering the neutral line with a smidge of darkness and warmth. I will read up on the Mad Dogs thread and see what amps/sources folks are using. Here is the link if OP is interested: http://www.head-fi.org/t/666284/mrspeakers-mad-dog-impressions-and-discussion-thread

 

I believe preproman was using the Emotiva Mini-x speaker amp to power his...Another bang for buck amp for only $189

post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk77 View Post

 

Not sure if I want something warmer and darker than the HE-500. Starting to prefer neutral and slightly north of neutral nowadays. I think HE-500 is bordering the neutral line with a smidge of darkness and warmth. I will read up on the Mad Dogs thread and see what amps/sources folks are using. Here is the link if OP is interested: http://www.head-fi.org/t/666284/mrspeakers-mad-dog-impressions-and-discussion-thread

 

I believe preproman was using the Emotiva Mini-x speaker amp to power his...Another bang for buck amp for only $189

Nk77 your starting to sound like me, I to like my cans a little north of Neutral. But the build quality of the Mad Dogs is nice. I'm getting sick of reading about Shure 940s breaking, K550 having fickle head bands, and people getting DOA Sound Magic 100s. Dan delivers a good consistent product! 

 

Ugh I wish some one would make a Closed Byer Clone already, I want a TOUGH well built can. Neutral and slighty north of neutral... and the Mad Dog is an ortho which [I am told] by nature has those lovely thick mids 

post #29 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk77 View Post

 

...Here is the link if OP is interested: http://www.head-fi.org/t/666284/mrspeakers-mad-dog-impressions-and-discussion-thread

 

I believe preproman was using the Emotiva Mini-x speaker amp to power his...Another bang for buck amp for only $189

Cool thanks.  Reading now, looks like it might take a while. =)

post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

Out of my Hm 601 and my Millet Max Hybrid Tube, they where the mids where gawd awfully thick and cumbersome 

 

Are those warmer sources to begin with, by chance?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkmonkey View Post

I will look more into the MadDogs

 

And yes anything saved could go into an amp!

 

$300 Mad Dog + $100 Schiit Magni + $100 Schiit Modi should be a solid desktop combo. Hard to beat at that price, from what I've heard. Or, if you have a desktop PC, you could consider a dedicated sound card with headphone amp. Those can be pretty solid as well.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › First nice set for $500 or less (looking for good bang for the buck):