I'm thinking about the possibilities I have in the table for a portable DAP. Let me give a liittle introduction:
- Recently I bought the Sennheiser Momentum, and if I was pretty satisfied with any kind of source for my Koss Porta Pro, in this case I noticed that the source plays a big part in the sound quality
- I thought about using my Nexus 7 as a DAP, but the DAC quality is meh. It gets better with a Fiio E11 amplifier I tried, but with it came electronic noise, static, etc, so I was not satisfied
- The Nexus 7 (without custom firmware) does not support digital audio out via USB, so I can't use an external DAC
- In either way, I would prefer something smaller, since the tablet is only good to use when sitted / at work, etc... not really portable
I created a list of the things I would like. I got here:
- Digital audio out. Even if it has a nice internal DAC, I guess it's good to have the possibility to connect to a external DAC in the future.
- FLAC support. Preferably without mods, rockbox, etc... I like to keep thngs simple.
- Preferably, with the size of a mobile phone / iPod, etc... so that I can attach a portable AMP/DAC to it easily
- 32GB minimal storage, 64GB or 128GB would be nice
- Wireless, I use Google Music a lot
- A nice interface for use in the car would be a nice extra (my car has 3.5 input, USB and iPod interface)
- Not uberly expensive. Not it the order of $500 at least :)
- Preferably, not sharing the phone function, since I would like to attach the amp, and that's not very practical to hold in the hand while answering a call
In order to thick all the boxes, I spent some time thinking about that ideal player, and I got to an Android Phone, but with no sim card inserted. One with dual-core and ICS at least. I have a Galaxy Express (I8730), it was cheap with a plan, and the performance is more than acceptable. However, I don't know if this phone supports digital audio out. (S3 / S4 and Note 2 support it).
I could keep this phone for DAP usage, and buy another one later. (if it has digital out)
What's your opinion? Would appreciate any help in this, as I'm kinda lost here... so many options :)