Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread - Page 6

post #76 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCooter View Post
 

67 posts, lots of flowery subjective language, but not even a basic circuit description, much less a schematic, some lab data,  or even a "beauty shot" of the underside. Welcome to the world of modern audio.

 

Hey Frank,

 

We have a generous amount of tech specs/lab data, and photos on the product page.

 

http://www.aloaudio.com/studio-six

 

Sorry we did not duplicate this on this thread. Additionally there are numerous reviews that also have more info as well as photos. The most current being one from ToneAudio, see current issue #57. As far as beauty shots, 6moons has some internal shots of both the production model and early prototypes and we have had the making of web site up for the last year now. 

 

http://www.studiosixamplifier.com/

 

This page provides lots of photographs, early prototypes and even some hand sketches of enclosure concepts. Again sorry for not duplicating or posting this URL here earlier.

 

As far as circuit descriptions, part lists or schematics, are typically thing that are not published for commercial products. We and our electrical designer Thomas M. would prefer not to publish in that level of detail.

 

We do sell some DYI parts, but this does not mean the ST6 is a DIY kit.  It is a commercial finished product that took years to fully realize and bring to market.

 

I think we are on par with many other manufactures with regards to all of the above.

 

Thank you

 

Ken and the ALO team

post #77 of 293

Yeah, I don't know where this whole concept is stemming from where people go around demanding for schematics to amplifiers be made available. If they do it out of their own volition well and good, but if they choose not to doesn't give anyone the right to harass them over it. Yeah there will be a few who will complain but honestly, when it comes down to it, just listen to the product and see if it catches your fancy. If not, move on. If it does, buy it and by all meas investigate to your hearts content.  

 

Edit: A trend I have noticed is that those asking for schematics are from people who honestly have no interest in first of all buying one, so why bother?

 

I have heard the Studio Six a few times in the last two years in various forms of prototype mode and it sounded quite good to me. 

 

 

Thomas from Regulus Audio has been working on this design for 3 years at least now and Ken's been very supportive of it from the beginning.  Hope to listen to the finished product sometime, it looks well built.  


Edited by sachu - 9/20/13 at 11:27am
post #78 of 293

In case anybody read the original of this post, I want to make it clear that I took it down completely of my own volition. Nobody asked me to remove it or intervened in any way. My deleted comments belong in a general discussion about high-end audio and were inappropriate  here.


Edited by FrankCooter - 9/20/13 at 12:06pm
post #79 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCooter View Post

I'm sorry if I've offended either you or ALO.  I really didn't mean to pick you out. My above comments are really about the general state  (dying) of high-end audio.

One of the reasons (in my opinion) high end audio is dying out is its heavy reliance on numbers games, buzzwords, and boutique parts. People say "trust your ears," but if something doesn't have the right topology, or use the right boutique parts, it's not taken seriously. And as your post exemplifies, is criticized without ever listening to it.

se
post #80 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post


One of the reasons (in my opinion) high end audio is dying out is its heavy reliance on numbers games, buzzwords, and boutique parts. People say "trust your ears," but if something doesn't have the right topology, or use the right boutique parts, it's not taken seriously. And as your post exemplifies, is criticized without ever listening to it.

se

I agree completely, and I've actually been editorializing on this for quite some time.

When I wrote my review of the Studio Six it just flowed.  I always give the reader a clear glimpse into what the product is (when writing about gear - I LOVE writing about music too) and then I try my best to convey my experience of the product to the reader/fellow listener.  That's how I learned reading Harry Pearson, and Mr. J Gordon Holt - while working for Hp I remember so many listening sessions where we just had a BLAST!!  He always took notes, but when he would completely immerse himself in the experience.  But he would also describe what the component was, how it worked, and give his opinion on that as well!

 

I used to fight so hard to try and grow the high end audio community (its where my roots are) - but I realized there was just this wide generation gap there I couldn't get around.  I've met some amazing people in that world for SURE - but I love being a part of the Head-Fi tribe!  I dove so deeply into personal audio because it was a new sonic frontier for me.  It offered a new and exciting way to experience my music - and the Studio Six brought the best aspects of the high end (a looking glass onto the sound that was clear and engaging) to my personal/desktop audio rig!!!! 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCooter View Post
 

In case anybody read the original of this post, I want to make it clear that I took it down completely of my own volition. Nobody asked me to remove it or intervened in any way. My deleted comments belong in a general discussion about high-end audio and were inappropriate  here.

 

NO worries Frank! We're all individuals and we all interpret things differently.

That's part of what makes this all work.  There's so much out there to please us all!
post #81 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCooter View Post
 

67 posts, lots of flowery subjective language, but not even a basic circuit description, much less a schematic, some lab data,  or even a "beauty shot" of the underside. Welcome to the world of modern audio.

 

Is the the "no public schematic" going to replace the "no DBT" crapping threads now? Seriously though, if you care about this, I suggest a polite email to Ken suggesting it. He is a reasonable guy. This isn't some kind of battle of good and evil. 

 
That being said, you can see the insides on 6moons if you want and IIRC there is a description of the circuit in the review.
post #82 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
 

 

Is the the "no public schematic" going to replace the "no DBT" crapping threads now? Seriously though, if you care about this, I suggest a polite email to Ken suggesting it. He is a reasonable guy. This isn't some kind of battle of good and evil. 

 
That being said, you can see the insides on 6moons if you want and IIRC there is a description of the circuit in the review.

 

yeah Ken got in on this above and offered some useful links.

 
I'm PSYCHED.  About to play the Studio Six for one of my favorite local singer/songwriters tonight!
post #83 of 293

YEAH HOOH!!

 

Sorry,

 

Can't contain my excitement.  I sat down w/ my Commander-in-Chief (a.k.a Alexandra - my awesome wifey) and we figured it out...

I'm very lucky in that my wifey also worked in the music bizness, so she's a fellow music addict and is very open-minded when it comes

to gear.  Of course, she had to like it too (and being a woman, she hears far deeper into the upper frequency range) and w/ the Studio

Six I had no such worry.  Plus we get to listen together, plus a guest or two!

 

And - I'm now the proud owner of my Studio Six review unit!!  Now, unlike some high end audio reviewers (who say things like "I liked it so much I bought it" - 

without mentioning the fact that they get industry accommodation pricing) I'll admit I got an industry accommodation price - However:

 

This was NOT an easy purchase for me financially, and it's gonna take some sacrificing to do it, but that's how much I enjoy music

through the Studio Six.  Not to mention that it offers unique, shared listening experiences with a few friends, and we're all tapped from

the same source.  It's made for some killer listening sesh's at my place, and I look forward to more.

 

I also didn't realize just how much the changing of the 1 6SN7 would have on the overall musical presentation!

My dad gave me some tubes recently, and one of them is an original RCA 6SN7 with few hours on it.

 

The midrange opened up like mad (and it sounded, seemingly, wide-open before) and there's something different about the high frequencies

that I just can't put my finger on just yet.  But I'll figure out a way to describe it.

 

Bottom line: I'm thrilled and honored to have the Studio Six as one of my reference desktop amps - because I've derived so much pleasure

from listening to music through it - and isn't that what it's all about??

post #84 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post

 

And - I'm now the proud owner of my Studio Six review unit!!  Now, unlike some high end audio reviewers (who say things like "I liked it so much I bought it" - 

without mentioning the fact that they get industry accommodation pricing) I'll admit I got an industry accommodation price - However:

 

 

Don't worry. Perhaps one day you'll surpass some high end audio reviewers and reach the lofty heights of Victor Kiam, who said of the Remington Microscreen razor in the famous TV commercials back in the 80's, "I liked it so much I bought the company." :D

 

Quote:
 Bottom line: I'm thrilled and honored to have the Studio Six as one of my reference desktop amps - because I've derived so much pleasure

from listening to music through it - and isn't that what it's all about??

 

If it ain't, then it's nothing but a doorstop.

 

se

post #85 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post
 

 

Don't worry. Perhaps one day you'll surpass some high end audio reviewers and reach the lofty heights of Victor Kiam, who said of the Remington Microscreen razor in the famous TV commercials back in the 80's, "I liked it so much I bought the company." :D

 

 

If it ain't, then it's nothing but a doorstop.

 

se

 

LOVE it!

I remember that commercial!  NICE
post #86 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post

LOVE it!
I remember that commercial!  NICE

Yeah? Didn't think you were that old. tongue.gif

se
post #87 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post


Yeah? Didn't think you were that old. tongue.gif

se

 

Ha!!

 

Well, I'm 38 - but I remember seeing that commercial on my parents HUGE Zenith console television!

I also thought of that commercial recently because I found an original Remington electric razor from the 80's

while we were cleaning out our new house (used to belong to my wife's aunt - we bought the family out)!!

 

But, as for my Studio Six:

Just got it situated on its new home (this rack I've been looking to use) - gotta take some photos ASAP!

Rockin' some Portugal. The Man through my Audeze LCD3's (MacBook/Amarra as source, MYTEK Stereo-192 DSD DAC)

and lost init right now...

post #88 of 293

Hello everyone... Just thought I would pass along a link to this positive new review by John Darko.

 

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/10/alo-studio-six-headphone-amplifier-review/

 

Cheers!

:beerchug:

post #89 of 293
Has the price been reduced? Can't seem to find any confirmation on line? Would be really pissed if I just paid 5k for it!!!
post #90 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leicachamp View Post

Has the price been reduced? Can't seem to find any confirmation on line? Would be really pissed if I just paid 5k for it!!!

http://www.aloaudio.com/studio-six
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread