I sold off my DT 990 Pro and AD900x last night on eBay.
So everyone, I'm hoping someone will have a recommendation as to the next true upgrade for a good price.
So far I've owned the MA900, DT 990 Pro 250, and AD900x.
- My main issues with the MA900 were the build materials, and the cloth pads. The sounded more neutral than the other two, but very dull.
- The AD900x was a whole lot smoother, sounded more spacious, and felt better on the hand/head. It does sound unnatural to me with a lot of American Rock, and fails to separate fast percussion in almost any track I throw at it. Electronica/Dubstep doesn't bode well either, as the tonality and bass doesn't sound right to me. In most of my music, I felt the AD900x to be a little too bright in the treble.
- The DT990 Pro actually sounded darker compared to the AD900x on my Walkman Z and Musiland 02. I really liked the tonality of the guitar and piano on the 990. The bass had far more texture than the other two, and did not just sound like thumps. Cymbals were more defined as well. The pads on the DT990 were my favorite, as the surrounded my ears and felt very good. They lacked emotion in the vocals, and they were recessed some.
So after owning and listening to all three:
- A real headband! The cups often slid and pulled down on my head with the Audio Technica line.
- Build quality would be nice, not needed but would be preferred.
- Velour pads similar to the DT990's, that surround the ear and not press against it.
- Well defined and textured lows, bass impact on level with the AD900x or greater.
- Soundstage! Doesn't have to be as large as the AD900x, the DT990 seemed ample to me. Definitely open, or closed that can feel as spacious as either 3.
- Mids do not need to be forward, but certainly not recessed. Would like them to be airy and breathtaking like the AD900x. At the same time I do not want them to be too forward as I often am focused on the instruments.
- I'd like to have just a notch less energy on the treble compared to the AD900x.
- Added details on all the frequencies
- After hearing all three I do not want something as dark as the MA900, but certainly not painfully bright.
I have a fairly large genre capacity, and will listen to almost anything besides poorly written hip-hop/pop/indie/etc. If I find it has good lyrics and a catchy tune, its a song to me!
I am usually keen to orchestra type music with female vocals, rock (grunge, alt, heavy), metal (symphonic), trending music, country, electronica (dubstep w vocals, house), and jazz.
I really do not want a overly bright one this time, something that is comfortable and keyword, magical. I want to be captivated and at the same time not fatigued. I really like the emotion in female vocals on the AD900x, and like sound of Rock on the DT990.
In terms of budget, I think the most I would be willing to pay is $500. My dac/amp will be an Aune T1, and I don't plan on upgrading it anytime soon.
Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. I want this purchase to last me a good while, not 2-3 months I need something new