Originally Posted by zombywoof
OK...so I took the plunge and bought a pair of the ivory MOE's at Best Buy. Right out of the box...
- very comfortable, really like the velour ear pads
- adequate isolation for my purpose
- SQ not quite on par with my B&W P5's, a little less clarity and more bit congested. (Note: had the P5's for over a year...probably my most used headphones...long ago broken in.)
- bass a little too pronounced and kind of murky,
- treble slightly recessed or rolled off,
- mids OK, but not quite as forward as the P5's.
I burned them in for about 30 hours using my iPod Classic on random shuffle at moderate volume...maybe a bit more volume than I normally listen with.
- Bass much more natural, and very clear...but still a bit emphasized...not objectionable for me.
- Mids...no significant change, but maybe more forward due the bass being a bit less dominant after burn in.
- Treble very nice...much crisper, but not too much...just right.
Honestly, these are some nice phones. Will burn them in for a another couple days over the weekend and see what happens.
alcantara not velour =) i actually have a pair of amperiors which uses velour and they feel much different! alcantara is so much more breathable against the surface of your ear, plus they don't apply much pressure (i know a lot of that has to do with the huge clamping force from the amperiors but still)
i'm crossing my fingers that sennheiser would use this alcantara on full size headphones (maybe do what vmoda did with the m100s)? make xl pads for the over ear momentum, this time using alcantara) it'll definitely be more breathable and comfortable. i know i would easily jump on the over ear bandwagon if they did that. but seems unlikely.
however the down sides of the alcantara i find is that they really don't isolate (trade off for breathability i guess) even walking around in a quite neighbourhood i could hear so much around me. i used them on the subway the other day, it was basically a wash, and i was forced to turn it up 2 notches higher than i normally would with the moes (which for me is something i never do, i would bump it up 1 notch at most). needless to say my ears hurt afterwards from the volume spike
maybe you can verify if further burn in helps! my pair is used so to be honest i don't know how many hours its actually been through.
i'm still not a fan of the mids though a lot more recessed than i like, and the bass on some music (id say 50-60% of the time at least for me ) becomes too dominant and again loses its definition and just kinda overflows in a sense. but on the other 40-50% of the time its tolerable (i'm trying to look at the positives of the bass- extension!, and know that these are one of the bassiest on ears i've ever heard)
i know i might get a lot of hate from this but i want to hear the original solo hds some more (last time i recall listening to them they were crazy bassy for an on ear) i wanna see how much the bass on the moes differ from the solos