Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Thoughts on the LCD-2 and the HE-400/500?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thoughts on the LCD-2 and the HE-400/500?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Oh boy, yet another recommendation thread! Well, the kicker is that I'm looking for something a little more high end. I've lurked for a year and a half so I know the very basics, and I've owned a few mid-fi cans (HD600, DT770, AKG K550, et cetera). Upgraditis hits hard, and I feel like maybe it's time for a bigger jump.

 

I'm using the M&M combo with the HD600 right now. It's definitely competent, and I appreciate its accuracy, detail and instrument separation. At the same time however, I wish the sound could be a little more organic and rich, and with a touch more bass, while at the same time retaining the aforementioned accuracy, detail and separation.

 

So, I'm considering the Audeze LCD-2 or a Hifiman selection (either HE-400 or 500) as upgrades. I've read that they fulfill these criteria, and the planar magnetic sound is supposed to be great. Any thoughts? Please and thank you.

post #2 of 10

The HE-500 is like most like the HD 600, except that it is markedly better--and should be for the difference in price.  The HE-500 has great bass without straying from neutral.  It's only significant disadvantages relative to cans costing 100's more is that it is heavy and it does not generate the sound stage that you get with the likes of the T1 and HD 800.  It is the best value in the audiophile flagship and near flagship class.

 

Read more about all three cans you referenced here:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_LCD2b

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 

Oh yeah, I've read the relevant parts of that list. It's a classic.

 

Frankly, I'm not sure if I want the same sound as the HD600. I feel that it's neutral and great for monitoring, but I don't get too excited by its signature. And as for weight, all three are orthos so I figure I'll have to live with it.

 

If I can find the LCD-2 at a similar price to the HE-500, would you suggest that instead?

post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrq3 View Post

Oh yeah, I've read the relevant parts of that list. It's a classic.

 

Frankly, I'm not sure if I want the same sound as the HD600. I feel that it's neutral and great for monitoring, but I don't get too excited by its signature. And as for weight, all three are orthos so I figure I'll have to live with it.

 

If I can find the LCD-2 at a similar price to the HE-500, would you suggest that instead?


The HE-500 and HD 600 do not have the same sound, except to say that they both provide and excellent neutral presentation in their respective price classes.  The HE-500 does everything better than the HD-600 (except that the HD 600 is easier to drive).

 

Even at the same price, I prefer the HE-500.  Others prefer the less neutral sound signature of the "Prince of Darkness".  Both are great cans.  I prefer the neutrality of the HE-500 over the rich but colored sound of the LCD 2.

 

You should make every effort to listen to both before you decide.

post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 

Ideally I would extensively listen to both, but headphones other than low ~ mid-fi and Beats are generally hard to find in person.

 

What do you find colored about the LCD-2? The frequencies, the texture (as in the richness and such), or both?

 

It was just tangential, but any thoughts on the HE-400? I'm not really considering that one too much.

post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrq3 View Post

Ideally I would extensively listen to both, but headphones other than low ~ mid-fi and Beats are generally hard to find in person.

 

What do you find colored about the LCD-2? The frequencies, the texture (as in the richness and such), or both?

 

It was just tangential, but any thoughts on the HE-400? I'm not really considering that one too much.


The LCD-2 (both versions) have more bass than neutral and less treble than neutral.  They offer a rich and smooth sound signature.  In contrast the HE-500 is more accurate and balanced.  Read the article I linked above.  It does a generally excellent job describing the sound signatures (and more) of all these cans.  You will find that not only each can, but in some cases more than one revision of the can, is addressed in detail.

 

The HE-400 is a good can that generally runs in the same class as the HD 600, HD 650 and DT 880.  I like its sound overall, but its mids are a bit colored and sound slightly funky to me.  Again--all four of these cans are well reviewed in the article that I linked.


Edited by KG Jag - 7/27/13 at 1:08am
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


The LCD-2 (both versions) have more bass than neutral and less treble than neutral.  They offer a rich and smooth sound signature.  In contrast the HE-500 is more accurate and balanced.  Read the article I linked above.  It does a generally excellent job describing the sound signatures (and more) of all these cans.  You will find that not only each can, but in some cases more than one revision of the can, is addressed in detail.

 

The HE-400 is a good can that generally runs in the same class as the HD 600, HD 650 and DT 880.  I like its sound overall, but its mids are a bit colored and sound slightly funky to me.  Again--all four of these cans are well reviewed in the article that I linked.

 

Right. I did read it, but I thought I'd benefit by receiving opinions from others as well.

 

Either way, thank you for your feedback.

post #8 of 10

I'll close by reemphasizing the importance of listening to both of them from a quality music delivery system before you buy.  In the U.S. (at least) you can get this done at a high end audio or headphone dealer--or better yet--at a Head-Fi meet.  No amount of advice going forward from this point will br nearly as useful to you as putting them on your head and let each speak to you.  Especially when you're spending $700 to $1,000 on such an important part of your system, you do yourself a disservice by failing to audition both of them.

post #9 of 10

Where in the US do you live? Judging from the time right now and the fact that you're online I'd guess that you're on either the Eastern or Western coast? There are incidentally some major meets coming up in NY and CA (and two others in DC and WA tomorrow - Saturday).

post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

Where in the US do you live? Judging from the time right now and the fact that you're online I'd guess that you're on either the Eastern or Western coast? There are incidentally some major meets coming up in NY and CA (and two others in DC and WA tomorrow - Saturday).

 

Central, unfortunately. It's only insomnia.

 

There were some good deals in the FS, so I'm in more of a rush than I'd normally be. I suppose it'd be smart to audition them more thoroughly, but... frown.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Thoughts on the LCD-2 and the HE-400/500?