New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado headphone help!

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

hey everyone I'm thinking about getting the grado rs1i headphone but i have just one question before i think about pulling the trigger on this one. Does the rs1i still retain the famous grado sound signature or does it sound different? I'm just sorta of wondering about that because iv heard someone say its sort of strays from the usual grado sound. If it does so happen to stray, how much would you say it would stray? thanks in advanced guys!

post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie medic View Post

hey everyone I'm thinking about getting the grado rs1i headphone but i have just one question before i think about pulling the trigger on this one. Does the rs1i still retain the famous grado sound signature or does it sound different? I'm just sorta of wondering about that because iv heard someone say its sort of strays from the usual grado sound. If it does so happen to stray, how much would you say it would stray? thanks in advanced guys!


When you say Grado sound signature, I have to assume (without more information) that you are referring to the Grado SR line sound signature.  The answer to that question is yes.  The RS cans move away from the SR wall of sound, providing more sound stage, bass and clarity--but less slam.  If you have heard the SR 325is (or Alessandro MS-2i) and any of its downline brothers, you can hear the change of sound signature moving from the SR line to the RS line.

post #3 of 12

I have the RS2i (and the SR225). They definitely have the same (aggressive) sound signature.
 

post #4 of 12

As you go up the line in Grados from SR series to RS series, they all have a forward, aggressive, sound.  However, this might be a handy-dandy Grado equation:

 

As $$ spent increases, Bass increases and Harshness decreases.

post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisxu View Post

I have the RS2i (and the SR225). They definitely have the same (aggressive) sound signature.
 


Can't say that I agree.  I own every SR Grado from the 80i up, the RS-2i, the RS 1i and a much older button RS 1.

 

The sound stage in the RS line is much bigger--moving away from the "sitting on stage with the band" small sound stage/wall of sound you get from the SR's (except the 325is--which is a true transition can between the two Grado lines).

post #6 of 12

I completely agree with the soundstage part, but to me all grados sound aggressive and "fast".. but trust KG Jag more cuz he's owned every single grado.
 

post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 

what do you guys think about the sound signature of the gs1000i then? iv heard its a whole different beast sound wise compared to all the grados but iv never tried them so i cant realy say. would the gs1000i be considered a better headphone over the rs1i? Iv heard alot of people say they still like their rs1i over the gs1000i.  I'm just trying to figure out which one i should get.

post #8 of 12

Soundstage, soundstage ... personally, I think that's a dicey quality to hang your hat on a judgment of differences.  All of the headphones are constructed the same from SR to RS series.  The only difference is in the choice of materials and attention to driver matching. And perhaps most important if we're judging "soundstage" - in the low-priced versions they use flat pads.  Time was before the Apple-coat-tail "i" versions of Grados, the RS-80 on up had bowls for pads.  IMHO, there is no difference in soundstage among any of the models if the ear pads are the same.

 

Does soundstage increase from flat pads to bowls?  Yes.  So in the current "i" versions, it might be accurate to state that soundstage increases from the RS-80 to the RS-125 on up.  That's only a change in pads, though, nothing more that's going to effect soundstage.  You do get somewhat of an increased airiness because the screens get more porous in the higher-priced versions, but that's a minor effect, IMHO.  The key is all in the chambers, IMHO.  The HF-1 comes very close to the RS-1 in sound, but in appearance it looks like an RS-60/80/125/225 except for wood buttons (old versions with bowls, though).  The major difference in the phones is that hidden inside is a mahogany cup - not plastic.

 

Since the GS-1000's use the giant bowls, then yeah - I bet the soundstage changes once more.  Most people who like Grado's seem a bit put off by the GS-1000's, though. 


Edited by tomb - 7/27/13 at 6:10pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie medic View Post

what do you guys think about the sound signature of the gs1000i then? iv heard its a whole different beast sound wise compared to all the grados but iv never tried them so i cant realy say. would the gs1000i be considered a better headphone over the rs1i? Iv heard alot of people say they still like their rs1i over the gs1000i.  I'm just trying to figure out which one i should get.


Have spent little time with the GS 1000.  It's a $1,000 can that doesn't deliver for most at that price point.  You can get an HE-500 for $200 less or an LCD 2 for the same price.

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

Soundstage, soundstage ... personally, I think that's a dicey quality to hang your hat on a judgment of differences.  All of the headphones are constructed the same from SR to RS series.  The only difference is in the choice of materials and attention to driver matching. And perhaps most important if we're judging "soundstage" - in the low-priced versions they use flat pads.  Time was before the Apple-coat-tail "i" versions of Grados, the RS-80 on up had bowls for pads.  IMHO, there is no difference in soundstage among any of the models if the ear pads are the same.

 

Does soundstage increase from flat pads to bowls?  Yes.  So in the current "i" versions, it might be accurate to state that soundstage increases from the RS-80 to the RS-125 on up.  That's only a change in pads, though, nothing more that's going to effect soundstage.  You do get somewhat of an increased airiness because the screens get more porous in the higher-priced versions, but that's a minor effect, IMHO.  The key is all in the chambers, IMHO.  The HF-1 comes very close to the RS-1 in sound, but in appearance it looks like an RS-60/80/125/225 except for wood buttons (old versions with bowls, though).  The major difference in the phones is that hidden inside is a mahogany cup - not plastic.

 

Since the GS-1000's use the giant bowls, then yeah - I bet the soundstage changes once more.  Most people who like Grado's seem a bit put off by the GS-1000's, though. 


But then the HD 518, 558 and 598 have exactly the same drivers and the differences between those cans is far less than the driver, cable, cup construction, ear pads, etc.differences through the Grado line.  Nevertheless the darker and more narrow sound staged HD 518 sounds quite a bit different than its upline siblings.

post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


But then the HD 518, 558 and 598 have exactly the same drivers and the differences between those cans is far less than the driver, cable, cup construction, ear pads, etc.differences through the Grado line.  Nevertheless the darker and more narrow sound staged HD 518 sounds quite a bit different than its upline siblings.

The grills change everything on a Sennheiser in that range.  It's the same effect as different style ear-cushions in Grados.  Take an old Sennheiser HD580, put 600 grills on it and it's the same headphone as an HD600.  The grills are all different on the headphones you mention - with increasing transparency and increased efficiency, to boot, as you move up the line.

post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 

thanks guys for clearing some of the questions that i had about the rsi1 and gs 1000. i think im going with the rs1i but im going to see what people think about rs1i vs the hifi man he 500 i however will post this in its own thread.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home