Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Any recommendations for some headphones under $300?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any recommendations for some headphones under $300?

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 

Hi there.

 

Currently I've a pair of Sennheiser HD 558 and they do sound pretty good but lack of bass, which lead me to search for some headphones that somewhat focus on bass, or have a nice precense of it.

 

I've been reading several reviews, mainly of this forum as the community seems to look after quality rather than fancy looks. Currently Im keen to buying a pair of JVC - Ha-fx700 or perhaps some beyerdynamic dt-770 or dt-990 but everytime I think about the thing I just cant decide.

 

 

I enjoy listening to metal, games music and a little techno.

 

-Metal such as dream theater and maybe heavier.

 

-Game music involves many genders, most of them purely instrumental going from rock to something I would call "orchesta like", basically an arrangement of several instruments. (such as fulfilled desire - final fantasy 7)

 

-Techo, not very keen to the gender but there are some songs of artists like David Guetta I like.

 

 

Does anyone can suggest anything that you might consider that does the job and that has a decent/long lifespan. Im not willing to replace my hd 558, but looking for something that does bassy things better than the sennheiser. Im not looking for some totally overwhelming bassy headphones, just some that have a strong, tasty-funny bass.

 

Also im from Mexico and currently studying, so for me its not viable to spend more than $300 in a pair of headphones, if there's any under the $300 mark that needs amp, suggest only if they really worth it because that would probably be another $100.

 

No headphones that have problems please, planning to buy them through amazon and if somehting happen to them its not viable for me to use the warranty and buying them in mexico makes them about 30%-50% more expensive, which ends up being not viable either. Just as a reference, the hd 558 were somewere around 250 dollars because i bought them from the official seller of senn in mexico. 

post #2 of 24

What source(s) are you plugging the headphones into?

Did you remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558s?

post #3 of 24
Thread Starter 

Yes I did, although I didn't realy felt a bass boost, so Im looking for a new pair for the kind of music that needs a strong bass.

 

Currently I just plug it into my laptop, If im not mistaken the sound card is a creative "Sound Blaster Recon3Di", the one that comes by default on dell's alienware products.

 

This is pretty much my only source of music, since I damaged my Galaxy S2 audio jack due to the length of the hd's cable.

post #4 of 24

Under $300, I recommend Philips flagship headphones (came out this year), the X1. I just bought one a week ago, and been using it for the pas few days. Still burning it in, but the bass is heavy! Haha, it's not tight bass, but it's like subwoofer bass. It has a very nice bass presence but is still balanced enough to be called audiophile grade. 
It's a very fun headphone, and it's also open, so you'll feel just like home since your HD 558 is open.
When it came out it was $399, now Amazon has it for $262.64! :D
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X1-28-Fidelio-Headphones/dp/B00B3QD94O/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1374801080&sr=8-7&keywords=x1+headphones

I
f you have any question on the sound signature, I can go into more depth. But as for the beyerdynamics, I heard their treble is something to talk about. Haha, whether it's good or bad, it's something. tongue.gif

post #5 of 24

The Ultrasone Pro 750 has a fair share of top-notch bass. It's easy to drive from a mobile device, and has excellent clarity.

 

They can be had for ~$135 in used like-new condition on Amazon (this is how I got mine): http://www.amazon.com/PRO-750-Closed-Back-Professional-Headphones/dp/B003USCCFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374802566&sr=8-1&keywords=ultrasone+pro+750

 

MSRP is $430, Amazon price is $280, and eBay street value is $150 - $250. Highly recommended!

post #6 of 24

M100, or the Philips
 

post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 

I've been doing some research about the philips and the ultrasone.

 

Most of what I read related to the philips was good but there's one little detail, amazon says they don't ship to Mexico, and the cheapest I found on Ebay with the shipping is $321, It's quite a bit of money, I would probably be able to afford it but, Would you pay that amount for that pair of heaphones?, does it worth it? Im sure other headphones that are cheaper are available as well, but if they are worthy, then I might look forward to these.

 

The ultrasone ones, I've read quite a few reviews, and it seems that many persons consider the bass "unnatural" or just bad, besides the fact that an amp seems to be obligatory for the sound to be acceptable/good.

 

About V-moda, I know little about the brand because I just found they were not an option since; as far as I know, they are similar to the beats when it comes to bass, Might be mistaken but am I right?   I do not want bad mids-highs.

 

 

About the kind of headphones, I dont mind if they have open circumaurals or closed, or if they are in ear, but I would like to avoid on the ear since Im aware they dont do the job just right.

post #8 of 24

The V-Moda M100s that are mentioned above are a good bass heavy headphone. 

post #9 of 24
Thread Starter 

You see, the main problem here is that I dont want to much bass, the problem with the hds I own is that they do have bass, its present, you can hear it, but in many songs you just cant feel it (dont know if I explain myself), specially in those that have an exciting fast part. This is after using the software which comes with the soundcard (and can only work with it), which greatly improves the audio sound, cant compare it to an amped headphone but I can tell it's greatly better than things such as 5.1 surround sound softwares or anything similar.

 

On the m-100 most reviews state as a pro the punchy bass, yet as a con that its to much, aside the uncomfortability.

 

I listen to music several hours a day, probably 5 the least, not very keen to the m-100.

 

Perhaps the X1 are the best option, as they seem to have some deep bass but controlled, good soundstage and are easy to drive.

post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick0 View Post

You see, the main problem here is that I dont want to much bass, the problem with the hds I own is that they do have bass, its present, you can hear it, but in many songs you just cant feel it (dont know if I explain myself), specially in those that have an exciting fast part. This is after using the software which comes with the soundcard (and can only work with it), which greatly improves the audio sound, cant compare it to an amped headphone but I can tell it's greatly better than things such as 5.1 surround sound softwares or anything similar.

On the m-100 most reviews state as a pro the punchy bass, yet as a con that its to much, aside the uncomfortability.

I listen to music several hours a day, probably 5 the least, not very keen to the m-100.

Perhaps the X1 are the best option, as they seem to have some deep bass but controlled, good soundstage and are easy to drive.
A used HD650 would be a good choice if you are OK with one headphones.
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick0 View Post

Currently I've a pair of Sennheiser HD 558 and they do sound pretty good but lack of bass, which lead me to search for some headphones that somewhat focus on bass, or have a nice precense of it.

 

I've been reading several reviews, mainly of this forum as the community seems to look after quality rather than fancy looks. Currently Im keen to buying a pair of JVC - Ha-fx700 or perhaps some beyerdynamic dt-770 or dt-990 but everytime I think about the thing I just cant decide.

 

Does anyone can suggest anything that you might consider that does the job and that has a decent/long lifespan. Im not willing to replace my hd 558, but looking for something that does bassy things better than the sennheiser. Im not looking for some totally overwhelming bassy headphones, just some that have a strong, tasty-funny bass.

 

 

Never heard the HA-FX700 but have the 558, 770, and 990. 

 

Either of the Beyers will give you more bass than the 558.  Of those two, I'd personally go with the 990's.  Not sure about the power level coming from your Sound Blaster card but you can power 990s fine with a Fiio E10 (~$55).

 

That said, the recommendation for the X1's mentioned above may be the best one as you said -- just haven't heard them.  If you haven't seen Mad Lust Envy's gaming thread it's worth a look

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-7-18-2013-philips-fidelio-x1-added

post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Kramnik View Post

The Ultrasone Pro 750 has a fair share of top-notch bass. It's easy to drive from a mobile device, and has excellent clarity.

 

They can be had for ~$135 in used like-new condition on Amazon (this is how I got mine): http://www.amazon.com/PRO-750-Closed-Back-Professional-Headphones/dp/B003USCCFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374802566&sr=8-1&keywords=ultrasone+pro+750

 

MSRP is $430, Amazon price is $280, and eBay street value is $150 - $250. Highly recommended!

 

I've owned the Ultrasone Pro 750 in the past and I don't recommend them. It has too much boomy/sloppy bass with a sucked out mid range IMO.  The current price and  msrp are way overpriced. There's probably a reason why they are sold for so low under used condition.

 

X1, K550, DT770, and used Denon D2000 are pretty good choices IMO.


Edited by cheuh - 7/26/13 at 3:52am
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheuh View Post

I've owned the Ultrasone Pro 750 in the past and I don't recommend them. It has too much boomy/sloppy bass with a sucked out mid range IMO.  The current price and  msrp are way overpriced. There's probably a reason why they are sold for so low under used condition.

 

X1, K550, DT770, and used Denon D2000 are pretty good choices IMO.

 

Not a big fan of my Ultrasone's either (DJ1 Pro); they get little listening time.


Edited by GearMe - 7/26/13 at 5:24am
post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearMe View Post

 

Never heard the HA-FX700 but have the 558, 770, and 990. 

 

Either of the Beyers will give you more bass than the 558.  Of those two, I'd personally go with the 990's.  Not sure about the power level coming from your Sound Blaster card but you can power 990s fine with a Fiio E10 (~$55).

 

That said, the recommendation for the X1's mentioned above may be the best one as you said -- just haven't heard them.  If you haven't seen Mad Lust Envy's gaming thread it's worth a look

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-7-18-2013-philips-fidelio-x1-added

 

Thanks for the link, it seems that the X1 are the best so far, also, in that link I was able to see an amp from creative whose software is very similar to the one I've, taking in count that my sound card and the one I saw there were similar (or perhaps mine worse, since its included on the laptop..), it seems like; although its decent-good, there are better ones. 

 

Any recommendation of which amp would be the best for the X1?    Budget of $100, $150 as top if its really worthy, but no more.

post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick0 View Post

Yes I did, although I didn't really felt a bass boost, so I'm looking for a new pair for the kind of music that needs a strong bass.

Currently I just plug it into my laptop, If I'm not mistaken the sound card is a creative "Sound Blaster Recon3Di", the one that comes by default on dell's alienware products.

This is pretty much my only source of music, since I damaged my Galaxy S2 audio jack due to the length of the hd's cable.

I would guess keeping the black rubber tape inside the cups would offer more bass (but lose a little of the mids/sound stage and treble.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Any recommendations for some headphones under $300?