You guys who received the tester IEMs and didn't post impressions are enormously selfish scumbags.
- productHiFiMAN RE-400tagged by System, 7/25/13
Related Forum Threads
- 1MORE Triple Driver IEM vs HiFiMAN RE-400? Last post on Yesterday at 12:39 pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- WTB: Hifiman RE-400 Last post on 5/20/15 at 9:14pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Has anything emerged better than Shure SE215 in its price range? Last post on 1/25/17 at 4:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Marshall Mode EQ, a very underrated set Last post on 10/5/16 at 9:54pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- RE-400 vs Dunu Titan 1 vs CX300 II vs MEElectronics M-Duo Last post on 6/5/15 at 5:32pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Bought these bad boys on sale from Harman Audio. Very clear and balanced sound for the price range, I have also had some good Grado SR80i headphones that I gave to my brother but the AKG K550 has...
Introduction Based on the very successful Delta earphones previously, Brainwavz has come up with a second version of the Delta’s, now upgraded with Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity. As these are...
Introduction FiiO X5 3rd generation is the successor of the loved by many X5 2nd generation DAP from FiiO. I requested to be a part of the tour for X5 3rd gen because I really wanted to hear...
After spending over a week of daily listening to these ciems I can confidently say that I have made an excellent choice with these ciems. There is nothing that i can say that hasn't been already...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we'll be checking out a micro-driver that's been, for the most part, well-received around the forums. Their small size, low price, and sonic performance have made them a...
Hifiman RE600 vs RE400 Tour Thread - Page 7
Gear mentioned in this thread:
See first post. Afaik it's only Sweden and you.
Speaking of which, after quite a looong wait I've finally received the RE600 and already forwarded it to Sweden. So the tour is officially back on track now.
excellent - i will be looking fwd to getting them from sweden and posting my impressions
This wasn't the easiest thing to do as I found the RE-400 and RE-600 rather similar. With some music and with volume matching I had a hard time picking them out some times so close was they in sound for me.
The RE-600 is slightly darker and smoother with a little more finesse to the sound. In a way the slightly darker presentation can make them sound even duller than the already dull RE-400 at the same time.
Just like the RE-400 the treble can take quite a bit of boost with an EQ without sounding harsh. These in-ears really need a boost up top to sound balanced.
Bass is similar to RE-400. It's there and somewhat neutral in quantity or below, but not much bass impact and not very textured.
Mids is the best part of these. It's rather transparent. Still very similar to RE-400 but maybe slightly more refined and detailed, but just slightly.
Build is slightly better with the cable running from the splitter to the phones being better in quality, but still not 400 dollar quality.
The housing being glossy looks better and feels more solid but is probably more like a shiny fishing lure for audiophiles than an increase in construction quality.
Overall not worthy of a 4 times increase in price. Not even close.
Here are my honest impressions.
Thank you james444 for the loaner. This is what a headphone community is all about. I will probably repay the favour some day.
I'm not part of the tour but I've heard both recently and can agree with some of the ways Sweden hears them. After spending a lot more time with it, I don't find the RE600 to be an upgrade in SQ to any previous or current HiFiMan offerings; it however does have the best build quality of any HiFiMan iem to date (especially the cable). The only improvements I find in the RE600 are some refinement in the midrange and treble but, IMO, the treble is shelved down too much and negatively affects timbre of instruments like acoustic guitar and piano. I find the RE400 brighter (and the RE262 for that matter) than the RE600; and while the RE400 has a little grain and a bit more peaky in treble compared to the RE600, I greatly prefer it. It has better dynamics, timbre and over all tonality.
I had originally tried the RE400 when they were first released and for whatever reason, I didn't really care for them- they were bit a sleepy sounding and too polite. However this time around I don't hear it that way- it's much better with a nice blend of being easy to listen to yet containing a bit of liveliness. No idea if there is product variance or it's just me being more receptive to it the second time or being able to compare it to its much more expensive brother.
At the end of the day, I still think the RE272 and RE262 are the best HiFiMan offerings in terms of both technicalities and musicality but the RE400 is an exceptional value while maintaining a very good neutralish frequency response that is a little more linear than even the RE262.
For those looking for a real RE400 future/companion upgrade maintaining a similar signature, I would recommend both the FitEar F111 and the Custom Art Music Two.
I find the RE-400/600 to be the V-Moda M-80 version of an in-ear. Not the most exciting sound with it's mid-centric qualities and way too polite treble. Maybe it's a sound that works with specific genres like Asian style vocal music(I don't listen to that stuff so maybe someone will correct me here) but for pop, rock, classical and all-round it doesn't work for me.
No real sense of power.
The RE262 was an even bigger disappointment for me. Dull sound + painful vacuum suction in my ear.
Edited by Sweden - 3/9/14 at 6:53am
First of all , thanx to James for loaning his RE-600 to us
I had the chance to compare it not only with RE400 but with those other mid/top-tier iems
RE-262 , RE-272 , EQ-5
maybe i had a bad pair or something but i almost hated my re400 - very dull and mediocre sound - therefore i focused on comparing the re600 with the other 3 iems
First of all , did i like the re600 ? definite yes - no contest whatsoever with the dull/grainy re400
Second , is it worth 400$ ? This i can not answer - i really liked it , but when comparing it to the 150$ re262 and the 250$ re272/eq5 , i didn't find that big improvement to justify the extra money.
My main observation is that none of the above 4 very good iems is the one and only to have iem - i caught myself rotating between all 4 , as all have a different distinct sonic presentation which worked for specific music genres
The only iem sounding like the re600 was the re262 as it seemed to sound like a less refined re600, sharing similar mid-centric sound signatures, but considering i bought mine used for 60$ , i don't think i would have gone for the 400$ re600 if i had to choose between the 2.
the 272 and eq5 seemed to copliment the re600 as they were more airy , with more extension up highs
here are some notes/thoughts i wrote down when listening to the re600
wore them straight down
nice robust bass
better detail extraction from 262/272 (but not much)
a tad too thick mids
treble is airy without being extra crispy or sibilant
very tight bass
balanced , all freqs present
musical and controlled
like an improved 262 version
eq5 and 272 are better suited for fast music like rock
in the end , i decided that i am fine with the 262/272/eq5 , especially when considering the prices i paid to obtain them
if Hifiman lowers the price for the re600 around 250$ i would definitely grab it , but atm i think 400$ is a tad too much.
Keep in mind that this is the first 400$ i audiotioned and being used to the TERRIFIC bang-for-buck value of the hifiman iems (i have owned re-zero/252/262/272) i may be a bit picky with my observations -
- Hifiman RE600 vs RE400 Tour Thread
- › AKG K404 in 2017 19 seconds ago
- › Any LPCM 5.1 headphone solutions? 49 seconds ago
- › Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software 1 minute ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 2 minutes ago
- › What the $^&# heck is it?.........iFi iEMatch! 2 minutes ago
- › great find:: cleanest usb audio,best sound 2 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 3 minutes ago
- › Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10! 4 minutes ago
- › Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android |... 5 minutes ago
- › Choice earphone like or better my Shure 940 headphone, help me,... 5 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by Simurgh
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by ss5972
- › Joyroom JR-E107 Metal Headphone In-Ear Earphone With Control And... by B9Scrambler
- › Chord MoJo by mswlogo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Jackpot77
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by BillsonChang007
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by mrstrangeguy
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear