- 5,932 Posts. Joined 9/2010
- Location: hotlanta
- Select All Posts By This User
- productHiFiMAN RE-400tagged by System, 7/25/13
Related Forum Threads
- 1MORE Triple Driver IEM vs HiFiMAN RE-400? Last post on Yesterday at 12:39 pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- WTB: Hifiman RE-400 Last post on 5/20/15 at 9:14pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Has anything emerged better than Shure SE215 in its price range? Last post on 1/25/17 at 4:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Marshall Mode EQ, a very underrated set Last post on 10/5/16 at 9:54pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- RE-400 vs Dunu Titan 1 vs CX300 II vs MEElectronics M-Duo Last post on 6/5/15 at 5:32pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Empire Ears & Effect Audio Collaboration “ARTHUR” Intro Specifications Arthur frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz Sensitivity: 21ohm @ 1mw 14 Balanced Armature drivers...
I love Ibasso, really respect there products, especially the DX90 wich I still use everyday after 3 years and have lot of pleasure to listen to, i'm still amaze by the clear, neutral and analytical...
Wow is the first word that popped into my mind after putting on these IEMs. Dunu has outdone themselves again. SOUND These are quite possibly the best IEMs I have ever listened to. These...
Design & Comfort: Why can't you all do this? AudioQuest makes their first headphone and immediately gets so many things right that other companies seem to completely ignore. They even had the...
Bought these bad boys on sale from Harman Audio. Very clear and balanced sound for the price range, I have also had some good Grado SR80i headphones that I gave to my brother but the AKG K550 has...
Hifiman RE600 vs RE400 Tour Thread - Page 4
Gear mentioned in this thread:
X2, your frank and straightforward impressions are the main reason why I'm sponsoring the tour. We all owe Inks special thanks for organizing it, but you don't need his ok to post your feedback.
The first two users will post impressions soon. One user from the US tour has been taken off due to no response, so its going to the first Canadian at the moment.
I ask those in the tour to NOT read previous impressions until you have posted yours, which will be hidden by a spoiler alert.
FYI the first user has already told me a summary of his impressions and the second is going to ship sometime soon, so no, time isn't distorting anything.....
Edited by Inks - 9/18/13 at 7:50am
I think the point of this tour is more to compare the "mod" on the RE-400 to an RE-600 than just to leave impressions on the RE-600 themselves. I like that we're not supposed to read other's impressions first. Let's make ourselves accountable!
I will have my impressions up Sunday night if I can get this move done and over with. If not then Monday night I will have them posted for anyone who cares to read them. Let's just say I have learned some surprising things in the process!
Filtered RE-400 Impressions (Click to show)
Ok, I have received the RE600s today and I think its time to post some initial impressions (note I have not tried the filter mod yet). Since this is a simple comparison between the re400s and re600s I don't think I need to hide these to reduce bias (please pm if you think otherwise inks).
I will take this time to state a couple of things. I am a firm believer in the law of diminishing returns and have never owned an IEM that costs over $200. In addition my preference for sound signature is a coloured one, one that is mid centric with a little bit of rolled off treble. Also note I am not good at picking out differences in sound based on their frequency so a lot of my descriptions will be more qualitative in general. Lastly I have not written any reviews in the past so flow, terminology, and certain details will be lacking.
Straight out of my portable setup (nexus 4) the comparison between the re600s and re400s is similar to what people have previously mentioned. The 600s appear to have tamed the forward treble/uppermids of the 400s with a little bit more emphasis on the bass and mids compared to the 400s. All in all not much of a sound difference when you think about it and certainly not worth the $300 premium.
However the story changed when I plugged the re600s into my desktop setup (fiio e10 DAC -> Millet hybrid tube amp). The re600s start to sound really good to my ears here. The treble is more forward and extended (but never too bright), the mids became more be more smooth and revealing (vocals specifically), and the bass is very punchy and and can extend pretty far down when the recording calls for them to be. In comparison the re400s the difference is quite striking. The treble of the 400s is actually a bit rolled of and not as extended or forward as the 600s, the mids sound congested, and the bass becomes a lot less controlled in this setup.
I am sure that none of what I posted makes too much sense but I will add onto this with specific recordings and the differences I personally hear. Based on my initial impression it appears that the re600s need a bit of juice to shine sonically which I think has been mentioned in the other re600 threads out there.
Edited by monoglycer - 9/29/13 at 12:16am
- Hifiman RE600 vs RE400 Tour Thread
- › 3.5mm Mini Interconnects Galore! <UPDATED!> 28 seconds ago
- › Apple cck not as good as USB? 32 seconds ago
- › Apple cck not as good as USB? 40 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › The Ear Pads Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 2 minutes ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90) 5 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 5 minutes ago
- › Effect Audio X Empire Ears : "Arthur" by justrest
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › DUNU DN-2000J by EZE99
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by snapacap
- › AKG K 550 by Simurgh
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by ss5972
- › Joyroom JR-E107 Metal Headphone In-Ear Earphone With Control And... by B9Scrambler
- › Chord MoJo by mswlogo
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear