Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Headphones to Replace my Snapped Beats Solo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headphones to Replace my Snapped Beats Solo

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
My Beats Solo snapped recently, and I'm looking for a replacement. So here I am asking for recommendations. I really loved my Beats, but after servicing me for quite some time, it is time for it to retire.
 
Budget: Up to $200, but the lower the better.
 
Intended usage: General, average-person usage for movies and music. Long hours of usage every day is expected.
 
Location of usage: Mostly only at home. I normally settle with my more discrete Apple EarPods when going out for short travels. But for longer travels, I will use the better one. Less sound leak is preferable, but not necessary.
 
Equipment: HP Pavilion dv6 Series laptop with Beats audio and iPhone 5.
 
Additional information: (1) It has to be comfortable for long hours of use. For comparison purposes, when I was using my Beats, my ears would hurt after hours of usage. For EarPods, it hurts the insides of my left (right side is fine) ear only after about 30 to 60 minutes of usage. (2) I value aesthetics. However, I do not like "flashy" headphones. I think simplistic designs, mesh-designs or wood-designs look nice. In general, a timeless piece.
 
Thanks in advance!

Edited by ahmada - 7/25/13 at 9:44am
post #2 of 8

If you are looking for something with more comfort I would suggest around ear, or circumaural, type headphones. Also, do you still want the "beats" sound are something a little more neutral?

 

For your price range I would suggest Audio-Technica ATH-M50 or Denon D1100. The M50s seem to be a pretty popular set of cans and are usually recommended as an alternative to Beats, if you are still looking for that type of sound the M50s should provide a better listening experience than you Beats did. The Denon D1100 are also pretty good, my roommate had them and they were pretty comfortable and also a decent amount of bass.

 

D1100 $199.99

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AH-D1100-Advanced-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0042ETXRQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2

 

M50 $159

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U/ref=pd_cp_e_0

 

Now if you want a pair that look stunning, there are the Audio-Technica ESW9. A little past your price range, but they have wooden cups, can be easily driven by any source, have great bass and a nice warm sound to them. They are my favorite portables at the moment. These sell well on the used market so if you decide you don't like them you won't lose much. They aren't around ear but they have lambskin leather pads that are very comfortable. 

 

ESW9 $232 currently

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATHESW9A-Portable-Wooden-Headphones/dp/B0030O0Q2U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374773975&sr=1-1&keywords=esw9

 

If you don't mind waiting and looking at used cans then I have other suggestions as well that can fall in your price range.

 

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 

Hi toonsnstuff, thanks for responding!

 

I like the sound Beats produced, but I am willing to try some new stuff. Nothing too different though, I still want the bass.

 

Ok, going through reviews on YouTube for the M50 and D1100, I prefer M50's design to D1100's so I'm going to drop D1100.

 

But after watching the reviews talking about sound quality and all that, I realize I'm not buying for the sound quality, I realized I'm buying for the design and comfort. I mean, the best cans I had was Beats Solo and that's not a pair that is known for its audio quality. So with my untrained ear, I probably am not good enough to listen past Beats' audio quality. Furthermore, I intend to use it for videos and music. 

 

Anyway, are there any headphones that match Beats Solo's audio quality, looks good and is comfortable, but cost less than $100?

 

I'm considering the M50's though. It has the audio quality, the looks and I assume, is very comfortable. 

 

EDIT: Looking for a pair of new cans, so no second-hands.


Edited by ahmada - 7/25/13 at 11:19am
post #4 of 8
I'm assuming you like bass? DT770. Get an E11 for $50 and you'll be fine with them.

Another option is the SRH 840.
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmada View Post

But after watching the reviews talking about sound quality and all that, I realize I'm not buying for the sound quality, I realized I'm buying for the design and comfort. I mean, the best cans I had was Beats Solo and that's not a pair that is known for its audio quality. So with my untrained ear, I probably am not good enough to listen past Beats' audio quality. Furthermore, I intend to use it for videos and music. 

 

Anyway, are there any headphones that match Beats Solo's audio quality, looks good and is comfortable, but cost less than $100?

 

Tyll speaks highly of the Zoro's (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/inexpensive-and-terrific-noontec-zoro) as does Guttenberg of the Zoro HD's (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/inexpensive-and-terrific-noontec-zoro)

 

Noontec Zoro HD for $65: https://www.tanga.com/deals/a84a88d2eb/noontec-zoro-hd-true-sound-headphones-with-inline-mic-and-answer-end-button-2-color-options

 

Tanga also has the Zoro (without inline mic and lower impedance) for $49.99 with Free Shipping

https://www.tanga.com/deals/90b0c1b37d/noontec-zoro-high-fashion-steel-reinforced-sccb-sound-technology-headphones-3-color-options

post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonfuzed View Post

I'm assuming you like bass? DT770. Get an E11 for $50 and you'll be fine with them.

Another option is the SRH 840.

 

Yes, I like bass. Not excessive, but enough to feel it. Since the DT770 requires an amp, it's not suitable for me.

 

The SRH 840 though, satisfies my criteria. I'm currently comparing the SRH 840 to the ATH-M50. Thanks for the recommendation!

 

 

After looking at images and YouTube reviews, including Tyll's own review, I feel the Noontec Zoro is not suitable for me. But thank you for suggesting and giving me more options!

 

EDIT: I have read that if I don't need isolation, I should consider open headphones. Is there any (very) comfortable open headphones with good design and bass under $150? Never mind, closed headphones are more suitable for me.


Edited by ahmada - 7/26/13 at 4:03am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmada View Post

 

Yes, I like bass. Not excessive, but enough to feel it. Since the DT770 requires an amp, it's not suitable for me.

The SRH 840 though, satisfies my criteria. I'm currently comparing the SRH 840 to the ATH-M50. Thanks for the recommendation!

After looking at images and YouTube reviews, including Tyll's own review, I feel the Noontec Zoro is not suitable for me. But thank you for suggesting and giving me more options!

EDIT: I have read that if I don't need isolation, I should consider open headphones. Is there any (very) comfortable open headphones with good design and bass under $150? Never mind, closed headphones are more suitable for me.

 

Sounds good on the Zoro; thought the styling similarities might be appealing with much better sound than Beats. 

 

FWIW - I think you can get DT770's (32 Ohm) that don't need an amp.  The M50's are nice set of cans and should be a fit for what you've described..  Based on what I've seen in the threads about the 840 (haven't heard them), they are great as well, but you might not 'feel' the bass as much as the M50.  You'll feel the bass even more with the 770's.

 

Also, if your budget is ~$100, then the Shures and Beyers aren't close (new).  You can still get the M50s for $100 plus shipping (after $60 instant rebate) at http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50s.

 

'Audio Technica Special! Professional Closed-Back Studio Headphones with a Straight Cable (Black) Activate $60 instant order rebate – enter code [1-60-off-ATH-M50s] at checkout; Brand new, factory sealed unit with stock cable'


Edited by GearMe - 7/26/13 at 5:20am
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearMe View Post

 

Sounds good on the Zoro; thought the styling similarities might be appealing with much better sound than Beats. 

 

FWIW - I think you can get DT770's (32 Ohm) that don't need an amp.  The M50's are nice set of cans and should be a fit for what you've described..  Based on what I've seen in the threads about the 840 (haven't heard them), they are great as well, but you might not 'feel' the bass as much as the M50.  You'll feel the bass even more with the 770's.

 

Also, if your budget is ~$100, then the Shures and Beyers aren't close (new).  You can still get the M50s for $100 plus shipping (after $60 instant rebate) at http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50s.

 

'Audio Technica Special! Professional Closed-Back Studio Headphones with a Straight Cable (Black) Activate $60 instant order rebate – enter code [1-60-off-ATH-M50s] at checkout; Brand new, factory sealed unit with stock cable'

 

It does look similar, but somehow its design does not appeal to me.

 

Anyway, after looking through all the headphones listed in this thread, I think I'm going to go for the M50. I like the design (especially the white one) and the price. Many also claim that it is extremely comfortable, which suits my needs.

 

Thanks for letting me know about the link and the discount. What I want to know, at this stage, is (1) whether that website is trustworthy, (authorized reseller for A-T) and (2) if it is a good idea to buy the M50 in Australia (I live in Melbourne) instead of having it shipped overseas for warranty purposes.

 

Thanks a lot to everyone that responded! I can't wait to get my hands on the M50! The YouTube reviews have successfully hyped me up!

 

EDIT: Maybe I interpreted it wrongly, but I've read in other threads that the straight version cable of M50 is 11 feet long? That's 3.35m in length! Who needs 3.35m of cable?! eek.gif If it really is 11 ft, then how is it possible to wear it and go out? The pocket would be full of wound cables! 


Edited by ahmada - 7/26/13 at 7:58am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Headphones to Replace my Snapped Beats Solo