or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers - Page 66

post #976 of 10917
Quote:
Originally Posted by delancyst View Post

Anyon find the tube glove by Electro Harmonix useful?
I fin that they aren't helpful in removing the tubes at all.
They simply slip off when i tried to pull upwards.
And because of the added thickness against the socket, there isnt enough room to wiggle the tubes out. In the end i have to remove them using bare hand by tilting to n fro until they come out.

Use a piece of packing tape on the top of the tube so you can get an easier grip.
post #977 of 10917

I use rubber dishwashing gloves.

post #978 of 10917

$2 gardening gloves with tiny rubber nubs.  Got 'em at CVS.  No prints on my glass ;)

post #979 of 10917
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post

Don't have the Bifrost (have to wait, sadly), but using my Sabre U2 DAC I rolled different tubes with my new HD 650s and really like the 1961 Bugle Boy Straight Mans.  1967 Orange Globes were OK, too.  I'm curious what people using Siemens or Telefunken E88CCs think.  I'd love to hear either with the HD 650s.  I suspect good things, but ya never know.  I wasn't blown away by my 1966 RTC E188CCs, and they are very nice tubes.

I did just get four 1974 Voskhod Rockets.  Need to give them a Deoxit soak and try them tomorrow.  
Did you get the wire post '74 Voskhods with the Silver shields? The ones I have are just incredible. My USN CEP 7308 white labels sold pretty quick on Audiogon. I have some funds to look for more.
post #980 of 10917
do u all still need to jiggle the tubes back n forth with those rubber gloves in order to pull them out?
I find that they sit pretty tight on the socket, surprisingly there were no pins bent in the process.
Wonder those of you who use socket-savers, do the savers stay permanent inside the amp once you install them?
post #981 of 10917
Rubber dish washing gloves work great
post #982 of 10917
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2013 View Post

Did you get the wire post '74 Voskhods with the Silver shields? The ones I have are just incredible. My USN CEP 7308 white labels sold pretty quick on Audiogon. I have some funds to look for more.

 

No time to post photos now, but I'll try to remember to do so later.  I suck at describing tubes, but these are all gray between the mica(?) plates, and have the inverted UFO getter which has the single support.  The "UFO" is at a slight angle.  I recall from the old Lyr tube rolling thread that there was some confusion about what the "shield" is.  I will say that on the top mica(?) plate there is a long, low gray piece that extends up perpendicular to the plate, just below the "UFO".  Think of a rectangle that is wider than it is tall.

 

I'd refer you to the eBay listing, but the seller used a pic of the '78 Rockets, which have a different construction (at least they were honest enough to state that they used a stock photo that may not match the actual item).  Mine are clearly 1974s.  Irresistible at that price.

 

I don't want to judge them yet, as I think they really need to burn in.  I did listen right after I rolled them and heard a lot of room for improvement.  Eight or nine hours later I thought they sounded better.  After a couple more hours today, with different tunes, better still.  I like to give whatever tubes at least 100 hours before some seriously critical listening.  Still, the first pair is very promising, esp. with the HD 650s.

post #983 of 10917
Quote:
Originally Posted by delancyst View Post

do u all still need to jiggle the tubes back n forth with those rubber gloves in order to pull them out?
I find that they sit pretty tight on the socket, surprisingly there were no pins bent in the process.
Wonder those of you who use socket-savers, do the savers stay permanent inside the amp once you install them?

 

I'd be surprised if you didn't need to wiggle them before extracting.  Even with the socket savers I wiggle them before pulling them out.  I just don't like finger prints, but I'm sure any rubberized glove would help removing tubes, esp. if you're not using socket savers.

 

re: the socket savers, I have a piece of wood about the size of a tongue depressor that I use to keep the socket savers in place when extracting tubes.  Works like a charm.

post #984 of 10917
I buy mine from Brent Jessee. Not the cheapest, but has probably forgot more about tubes than all of us together know.

http://www.audiotubes.com
post #985 of 10917
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna47 View Post

Rubber dish washing gloves work great


Yup. I agree. That's what I use.

post #986 of 10917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themorganlett85 View Post
 

Hey guys I was wondering if any of you could help me out. I'm going to be getting a Schiit Lyr and an Uber Bifrost in the very near future along with a pair of Sennheiser HD 650 and I was curious as to what set of tubes would make them shine? Price isn't an option I just want them to sound as good as they can with my setup. Thank you in advance.


I have hesitated to reply to this as I am relatively new to this game, having only owned the Lyr for a few weeks. I ordered the Lyr with some Tungsram tubes that were available at the time, and subsequently got some Amperex Orange Globes and Bugle Boys. They have merits, but it was when I got some Siemens E88CCs that I discovered a sound that was beautiful beyond belief in my Oppo 103EU - Audiolab M-DAC - Schiit Lyr - HD650 setup. The Siemens are on another level to the other tubes. I have also ordered some (for me) expensive Siemens E288CCs from the same source. I'll let you know if Nirvana has a new name after they have arrived. My diet is classical. Very Mahler-based at the moment... FWIW.

post #987 of 10917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amictus View Post
 


I have hesitated to reply to this as I am relatively new to this game, having only owned the Lyr for a few weeks. I ordered the Lyr with some Tungsram tubes that were available at the time, and subsequently got some Amperex Orange Globes and Bugle Boys. They have merits, but it was when I got some Siemens E88CCs that I discovered a sound that was beautiful beyond belief in my Oppo 103EU - Audiolab M-DAC - Schiit Lyr - HD650 setup. The Siemens are on another level to the other tubes. I have also ordered some (for me) expensive Siemens E288CCs from the same source. I'll let you know if Nirvana has a new name after they have arrived. My diet is classical. Very Mahler-based at the moment... FWIW.

Owning or having owned the Amperex BB, OG and the Siemens E88CC and E288CC I have to agree with you. The Siemens E88CC are a big step up from the Amperex tubes. The E288CC have a insane soundstage that should work wonders with classical. For me the E88CC are my favourite between the two because I just love love the bass from them and they have great soundstage as well (I have the one with double o stage getter). 

 

That's why I'm selling the E288CC while I'm probably keeping the E88CC (still on the fence though because I really really love the Telefunken ECC88 and want a taste of the E188CC). For me they are both very alike. E288CC just have a wider soundstage with less bass. The E88CC still have great soundstage with tighter bass. That's really a matter of preference and musical taste. 

post #988 of 10917
Can folks recently in love with Siemens E88CC tubes please mention (or PM me) where you bought matched pairs and a price estimate?
TIA
post #989 of 10917
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexby View Post

Can folks recently in love with Siemens E88CC tubes please mention (or PM me) where you bought matched pairs and a price estimate?
TIA

Are you in the us or europe?
post #990 of 10917
US.
I am supposing Upscale Audio or Brent J?
But other sources appreciated.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers