or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers - Page 58

post #856 of 10933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioking59 View Post


What about these Telefunken ECC88s from Mercedesman?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TELEFUNKEN-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1968-DIAMOND-MATCHED-PAIR-PRECISE-TONE-417-/321265930260?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4accf11014

What is the going rate for the PCC88s?

 

Those Telefunken 6DJ8 were my fave tube in the Lyr. For me the Lyr really came alive with either Telefunken or Siemens tubes.

 

The tubes in the pic are not 68 as per the auction title but rather 66.

post #857 of 10933

Should I switch the Lyr off when I'm not using it when I sleep or just keep it on? I use it everyday for most of the day when I'm working.

post #858 of 10933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textfeud View Post
 

Should I switch the Lyr off when I'm not using it when I sleep or just keep it on? I use it everyday for most of the day when I'm working.


I switch my Lyr off when I'm not listening. No sense in using up your tube hours.

 

BTW, I also unplug my headphones before I turn on/off...just to be safe.

 

Cheers! :beerchug:

post #859 of 10933
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post
 


I switch my Lyr off when I'm not listening. No sense in using up your tube hours.

 

BTW, I also unplug my headphones before I turn on/off...just to be safe.

 

Cheers! :beerchug:


...and just for good measure turn the volume down to zero before unplugging. Then you're at zero volume when you re-plug too.  Neurotic? Yep...you got a problem with that ??!! Lol, hey this gear's expensive ! I've got a blown pair of Denon D5000's in my not so distant past. That kind of stuff will make you this way.


Edited by billerb1 - 12/7/13 at 4:54pm
post #860 of 10933

Allright guys, will do it both. Will keep it on between listening sessions and just switch it off when I'm off to bed and then switch it on the next day when I'm going to listen again. Because I've read that switching on/off is bad for tubes too.

post #861 of 10933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textfeud View Post
 

Allright guys, will do it both. Will keep it on between listening sessions and just switch it off when I'm off to bed and then switch it on the next day when I'm going to listen again. Because I've read that switching on/off is bad for tubes too.


I never worry about wearing the tubes by switching on/off because I don't "short cycle" and I always listen for at least 2 hours. :smile:

 

YMMV.

post #862 of 10933

I kinda do the same. I listen for two hours then I take a five minute break and I listen two hours again and so on :tongue: It's one of the advantages of working at home. :L3000:

post #863 of 10933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textfeud View Post
 

Should I switch the Lyr off when I'm not using it when I sleep or just keep it on? I use it everyday for most of the day when I'm working.


You should turn it off when not using it. The tubes have a finite life.

post #864 of 10933

If you are listening "on and off" for reasonable periods during the day, I'd keep it on all day (in fact I do).  Definitely switch it off at night though ... both points are correct - tubes do have a finite life, but switching on and off does also affect them more than keeping them on ... so it is just a case of judgement as to how long you think you'll be listening etc.  There is no strict "right or wrong" answer, here (though definitely turn the amp off if you know you won't be using it for a long period of time (overnight etc.)

post #865 of 10933

I kinda listen to it all day long and never with more than 2-3 hour breaks normally so I'll just switch it off over night!

post #866 of 10933

Yep - that's what I do.  The other thing I do which MAY increase the longevity of your tubes, is that I always let them warm up to operating temperatures for a few minutes before first playing music through them.

post #867 of 10933
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaHamster View Post
 

Yep - that's what I do.  The other thing I do which MAY increase the longevity of your tubes, is that I always let them warm up to operating temperatures for a few minutes before first playing music through them.


I do the same but unintentional. My Aune T1 always had to warm up for a minute or so before it started playing music so now I'm kinda used to put my Schiit on before breakfast. :tongue:

post #868 of 10933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textfeud View Post


I do the same but unintentional. My Aune T1 always had to warm up for a minute or so before it started playing music so now I'm kinda used to put my Schiit on before breakfast. tongue.gif


Tubes usually take around 20-30 minutes to warm up in the Lyr; before they operate to their fullest. This should be audible to most everyone. The first 10 minutes are the worst, ad IMHO, not even with listening to - depending on tube and mood. I think this is true of all tubes in all amps, and if your not noticing it - possibly something is masking the potential in your chain.
post #869 of 10933
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFlight View Post


Tubes usually take around 20-30 minutes to warm up in the Lyr; before they operate to their fullest. This should be audible to most everyone. The first 10 minutes are the worst, ad IMHO, not even with listening to - depending on tube and mood. I think this is true of all tubes in all amps, and if your not noticing it - possibly something is masking the potential in your chain.

It is probably also the mosfets warming up too, given they are biased to run fairly heavily in Class A (single-ended) under most loads.  I remember back when I had a Pass Aleph 3 (30w single-ended Mosfet amplifier made by Nelson Pass), he recommended (and it was easy to hear the change) that the amplifiers would sound at their best after 1 hour ... Man, those amplifiers got HOT too - almost the entire chassis was actually covered in finned heatsinks !  Wonderful amplifier, that.  Fond memories ... :biggrin: 

 

Then there were the Naim amplifiers (bipolar transistors, which I believe were only run in Class B).  In those amplifiers, it was best to never switch them off - not even overnight !


Edited by NinjaHamster - 12/7/13 at 8:43pm
post #870 of 10933
Quote:
Originally Posted by billerb1 View Post


I've got a blown pair of Denon D5000's in my not so distant past.

Which amp blow your Denon? Lyr?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers