Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers - Page 40

post #586 of 3094
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukeman View Post
 

so are these the famous orange globes people keep talking about? http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-BUGLE-BOY-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1964-O-GETTER-MATCH-PAIR-SWEET-TONE-4F1-/221289744658

 

 

Bugle Boys are pretty sweet tubes also when you can find some in good shape BTW.

post #587 of 3094

Thanks everyone on these tube rolling threads for making me with my Lyr a tube rolling addict. Why is this so addictive? I guess it's better then doing drugs. In any case just curious how many companies around the world are still producing new tubes, any in usa ?

post #588 of 3094
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&J View Post
 

Thanks everyone on these tube rolling threads for making me with my Lyr a tube rolling addict. Why is this so addictive? I guess it's better then doing drugs. In any case just curious how many companies around the world are still producing new tubes, any in usa ?

 

Drugs would be a lot cheaper...

post #589 of 3094
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post
 

 

Drugs would be a lot cheaper...

You only get one hit, and then you have to go get more...

 

Tubes last....and last....and last...  :beyersmile:

post #590 of 3094
post #591 of 3094


i have a pair, they're good

post #592 of 3094
Great. Thanks. ^

Is $200 euro a good deal for

Brimar E88CC
Voskhod 6N1P
Novosibirsk 6N1P-VI
Voskhod 6N1P (different year)
Siemens PCC189
Lorenz PCC88 (has slight ringing problem till they get warmed up)
GE-6B27
JJ E88CC
GDJ8 Amperex E88CC
Valvo E88CC
PCC85
6N1P gold grid
6N2P

Mostly matched pairs.?
post #593 of 3094
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonolithNZ View Post

Great. Thanks. ^

Is $200 euro a good deal for

Brimar E88CC
Voskhod 6N1P
Novosibirsk 6N1P-VI
Voskhod 6N1P (different year)
Siemens PCC189
Lorenz PCC88 (has slight ringing problem till they get warmed up)
GE-6B27
JJ E88CC
GDJ8 Amperex E88CC
Valvo E88CC
PCC85
6N1P gold grid
6N2P

Mostly matched pairs.?


can't help you much with the list, i'm pretty new to these tubes myself, i've only had the lyr a couple of months

post #594 of 3094
I would buy a few better tubes not many fair tubes
post #595 of 3094
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna47 View Post

I would buy a few better tubes not many fair tubes

If the Valvo's are gold pin or Red Labels, they are some very nice tubes, worth about $80/pair (gold pins) up to $100/pair (Red Labels). The Brimars may be good too.
post #596 of 3094
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonolithNZ View Post

Great. Thanks. ^

Is $200 euro a good deal for

Brimar E88CC
Voskhod 6N1P
Novosibirsk 6N1P-VI
Voskhod 6N1P (different year)
Siemens PCC189
Lorenz PCC88 (has slight ringing problem till they get warmed up)
GE-6B27
JJ E88CC
GDJ8 Amperex E88CC
Valvo E88CC
PCC85
6N1P gold grid
6N2P

Mostly matched pairs.?

 

If you search this thread and the original Lyr thread, you will find that 6N1P do not get much love, so strike off 4 tubes. Other than one private email telling me that the 6N2P sounds terrible in the Lyr, I have found nothing regarding the 6N2P. So you should probably strike off one more tube. The GE 6BZ7 can be purchased very cheaply and it doesn't get much love either, so strike off another tube. The PCC189 / 7ES8 also hasn't gotten much love, so strike off another tube. The PCC85 / 9AQ8 has 9 volt heaters, so this one is questionable, so strike off another tube.

 

So.... let's see.... this leaves the Brimar, Lorenz, JJ, Amperex and Valvo for 200 Euro....  You might want to check eBay for comparable prices and then decide if this is a good deal.... 

post #597 of 3094
apologies if this is a daft question, but here goes...

When tubes fail, do they get gradually worse or just stop?

My right channel is making odd noises when no music is playing...
post #598 of 3094
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibosi View Post
 

So.... let's see.... this leaves the Brimar, Lorenz, JJ, Amperex and Valvo for 200 Euro....  You might want to check eBay for comparable prices and then decide if this is a good deal.... 

 

The JJ tubes are right there with the GE tubes (unless they're the gold pin variety.)  They don't sound horrible, but they don't add any tube character to the sound--very much a clean, solid-state amp sound.  It's also a starter tube that can be packaged with the Lyr, so strike another from the list.  [$14/ea at TubeStore]

post #599 of 3094

Thanks for the input guys. I've decided to give those tubes a miss.

post #600 of 3094

For my BiFrost Uber + Lyr + HE-500:

 

having pairs on hand of:

Ediswan CV2492

and

RTC E188CC 7822

and

National-Matsu 6922

=

end of rolling.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers