or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers - Page 249

post #3721 of 11383

It doesn't look like Philips glass. The tip shape is wrong and no seams.

post #3722 of 11383
Maybe sylvania....
post #3723 of 11383

I'm really confused as to what they could possibly be, they have a warm sound to them.  It brought the sub-bass up a tad bit, and the bass up a bit as well.  But they still sound neutral to me, I like them a lot.

 

(compared to GE stock tubes in the Lyr)


Edited by DarrenLays - 10/24/14 at 4:14pm
post #3724 of 11383
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenLays View Post
 

I'm really confused as to what they could possibly be, they have a warm sound to them.  It brought the sub-bass up a tad bit, and the bass up a bit as well.  But they still sound neutral to me, I like them a lot.

 

(compared to GE stock tubes in the Lyr)

 

And that's what matters :)

 

Thanks for posting the pic.  I'm putting it in my archive.  It'll be interesting to see if we get a fairly definitive ID.

post #3725 of 11383
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

And that's what matters :)

 

Thanks for posting the pic.  I'm putting it in my archive.  It'll be interesting to see if we get a fairly definitive ID.

 

 

Although one of em has a tiny bit of static :(  If it doesn't go away I may take them back to him, (he will swap them for another pair, or even give me my $20 back)

post #3726 of 11383
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenLays View Post
 

Although one of em has a tiny bit of static :(  If it doesn't go away I may take them back to him, (he will swap them for another pair, or even give me my $20 back)

 

That's a crazy good resource you've got there.  Hope the static clears up.  Did you clean them? Switch positions?

post #3727 of 11383
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

That's a crazy good resource you've got there.  Hope the static clears up.  Did you clean them? Switch positions?

 

he cleaned em before he tested em, it's just one of the tubes though.

 

 

What else should I look for tube wise? I can ask him to see if he has any.

post #3728 of 11383

Just rolled into my LYR some 6dj8 Toshiba circa 70s surprisingly ( to me ) extremely nice sounding tubes. I will only say after a short audition that the vocals are fuller then say my OGs. and the bass goes deeper

The Japanese have a long history of producing vacuum tubes. After the war American and British companies set up shop in Japan Mullard and Raytheon are two I'm familiar with producing tubes in Japanese plants but I'm guessing others used Japanese production. I've been really impressed by matsus and toshibs in my LYR

Interestingly these tubes are not all that cheap.

Soo many tubes so little time (at my age anyway)

post #3729 of 11383

Thanks for the kind words.  And very good question.  It may be, and I'm only guessing, they chose early on to implement the C-Media CM6631 chip - despite it's issues (no 176K sampling) - so when C-Media released the CM6631A version it was easier to use this with their board design for the GEN2.  In response to ThurstonX's question on the issues with the newer CM6631A clocking I mentioned- I put up a detailed post on the Gustard U12 thread.  It looks like Schiit has found a way around that problem - with a relay based DAC reset on clock changes.

 

 

I am really interested in the new Yggdrasil soon to be released. The claims of "Flagship", perhaps better than most anything else out there....Reading up on impressions from RMAF. Certainly out of my price range for now. Seriously considering selling my "big" system to fund my growing addiction to headphones. Gotta stop reading/posting here, LOL  

      (wonder what USB implementation will be on Yggy)


Edited by satwilson - 10/25/14 at 10:25am
post #3730 of 11383
Quote:
Originally Posted by satwilson View Post
 

I am really interested in the new Yggdrasil soon to be released. The claims of "Flagship", perhaps better than most anything else out there....Reading up on impressions from RMAF. Certainly out of my price range for now. Seriously considering selling my "big" system to fund my growing addiction to headphones. Gotta stop reading/posting here, LOL  

      (wonder what USB implementation will be on Yggy)

Well I expect a really inovative design - and some surprises!  

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/10/schiit-exhibit-fulla-usb-and-yggdrasil-dacs-at-canjam-14/

 

Quote:
 

“Ask me about my big DAC”, reads Mike Moffat’s t-shirt. A line straight out of The Benny Hill Show or the Carry On movies. The product being referred to is Schiit’s long-rumoured statement DAC: Yggdrasil. And Yggdrasil is finally with us. Almost.

This is very much Moffat’s baby. He claims features it’s his finest, lowest-jitter USB implementation to date. However, I’ve been asked to withhold the specifics until the DAC goes into production.

A key point of difference with the Yggdrasil DAC is its interpolation filter. Based on a Western Electric algorithm from 1918, it throws away none of the original samples. The only new samples created are those that sit between the originals. Not impressed? Think of it this way: the part cost of Yggdrasil’s filter sums to more than the total part cost of the entire Bifrost DAC.

The second point of difference is Schiit aren’t using an off-the-shelf decoder chip. Moffat has opted for unspecified silicon from medical electronics and weapons systems. A pair of which are deployed here in each channel. The output stage is all discrete FETs, transistors and film caps

post #3731 of 11383

Back on the tube front - these rare 'Fat D' getter 1950's Slyvanias are sounding very good.  Nice rich tone, kinda in the Lorentz Stuttgard family sound.  Good detail - a bit smaller sound stage then the '70s 6n23p Voskhods.  Not quite as sweet either - just a hint of glare at times.  Running them in for a few 100 hours to see if that goes away. 

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2


Edited by rb2013 - 10/25/14 at 11:17am
post #3732 of 11383
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&J View Post
 

Just rolled into my LYR some 6dj8 Toshiba circa 70s surprisingly ( to me ) extremely nice sounding tubes. I will only say after a short audition that the vocals are fuller then say my OGs. and the bass goes deeper

The Japanese have a long history of producing vacuum tubes. After the war American and British companies set up shop in Japan Mullard and Raytheon are two I'm familiar with producing tubes in Japanese plants but I'm guessing others used Japanese production. I've been really impressed by matsus and toshibs in my LYR

Interestingly these tubes are not all that cheap.

Soo many tubes so little time (at my age anyway)

I have a pair of 6DJ8 matsus, 74s, RCA labeled, that I like. Took me a while to ID them as they also have Holland printed on them. Did Toshiba have their own manufacturing plant? I know Matsu****a tubes were oftimes relabled as other brands and mislabled as to country of orgin.

post #3733 of 11383

edit


Edited by satwilson - 10/26/14 at 3:07am
post #3734 of 11383
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindingThud View Post

Maybe sylvania....

 

Could be. Additional photos might help.

post #3735 of 11383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskari View Post

Could be. Additional photos might help.

Can you tell l me what angles you need the pictures from? I'll do my best to get some decent pictures
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers