or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers - Page 147

post #2191 of 10929
Quote:
Originally Posted by satwilson View Post

Kevin's description on the Upscale website,"97% of these test Platinum or better", so I ordered Gold like you. However my pair were:T1-11500,T2-14200 and T1-11700,T2-14800, noise and microphonics "A". Just the luck of the draw so to speak. So for my backup pair I just ordered a couple days ago I specified Platinum. BTW, what is the math equation you use to derive % matched? My favorite recording at the moment that really shows the micro-details these Tele's reproduce is Pat Metheny's "Unity Band" His drummer, Antonio Sanchez is amazing, master of the cymbals! There is a lot going on in this album, and other tubes I have used sound congested compared to the Tele's. It is very complex straight ahead Jazz, not to everyone's liking. It won the Grammy Award last year for Best Jazz Recording. satwilson
I love Dave - will pickup that cd from amazon today.

Well the math is pretty straight forward: take the higher minus the lower reading/lower reading. For example on mine 14,800-13,900/13,900= 6.47%.
Luck of the draw for sure.

Edit- Did I say Dave! I mean Pat - Love American Garage
Edited by rb2013 - 6/6/14 at 5:07pm
post #2192 of 10929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco1965 View Post

This thread is like Slim Fast for the wallet.
I'm down to Top Ramien noodles :-)
post #2193 of 10929
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLed View Post

Tell me about it.... in 2 weeks....

3 Pairs of Teles - 700$

Moon audio Black dragon v2 10ft - 350$

Paul Pangs USB - 130$

Bifrost USB Upgrade - 100$

Massively improved headphone setup - Priceless 

beerchug.gif
Och! Are you keeping your LCDs, now you have the Moon cable on the HDs?
post #2194 of 10929

I have to say, with usb, moons black dragon and the right tubes, HD800s match if not beat the LCD 2 in the bass department. No reason to keep them now. 

 

At least from initial impressions.


Edited by PinkLed - 6/5/14 at 8:41am
post #2195 of 10929
Yes. I am getting the moon audio black dragon v2 headphone cable for my alpha dogs, because I need a 10 foot cable, wish the stock cables were longer, but oh well, one does not get what one desires lol.
post #2196 of 10929
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post

Yes. I am getting the moon audio black dragon v2 headphone cable for my alpha dogs, because I need a 10 foot cable, wish the stock cables were longer, but oh well, one does not get what one desires lol.
They worked really well in curing the slight sibilance issues with my hd800s, improved the bass as well, and added to their musicality. I bought the 10ft as well.
post #2197 of 10929
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLed View Post

I have to say, with usb, moons black dragon and the right tubes, HD800s:-):-) match if not beat the LCD 2 in the bass department. No reason to keep them now. 

At least from initial impressions.
Thanks for the update - I was on the fence about getting a pr of LCDs to backup the HD800s. I think l'll just keep adding to my tube collection instead. :-)
post #2198 of 10929
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2013 View Post


Thanks for the update - I was on the fence about getting a pr of LCDs to backup the HD800s. I think l'll just keep adding to my tube collection instead. :-)

Mind you RB, I have not yet tried the LCD2 yet with USB or the with the 69 orange shields. I will also listen to them with the Teles when they arrive and give you my impressions. I may have spoken too soon.

post #2199 of 10929
I was reading the FAQ page on the Lyr 2 and it say not to use "6n1p tube or any tube that needs more than a 415ma heater current".. Guess I shall find some other tube to try any one know of any moderately priced tubes to run in my lyr2, to run my soon to be ordered alpha dogs. The stock tubes seem to run my beyerdynamic dt 880 600 ohm headphones just fine.
Edited by reddog - 6/5/14 at 1:55pm
post #2200 of 10929

6DJ8, ECC88 or 6922 tubes are just fine with the Lyr. I am using the 6BQ7A just fine and it is one of my favorite tubes. I am sure others will chime in. 

post #2201 of 10929

Disregard this comment.


Edited by PinkLed - 6/5/14 at 4:54pm
post #2202 of 10929
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLed View Post

Mind you RB, I have not yet tried the LCD2 yet with USB or the with the 69 orange shields. I will also listen to them with the Teles when they arrive and give you my impressions. I may have spoken too soon.
I think when you get the Teles, you'll be even more impressed. After hearing the uber euphonic (always wanted to say that!), ultra bass heavy, masters of darkness Amperex Pinched Waist - I think that will more then satisfy my bass lust.

Give your Moons at least 100hrs for the bass to flesh out, they might just do it for you. I'll be interested in your comparison.

Btw: If you like bass and excellent mxing, get this new Lorde cd 'Heroine'...it's a trip. The cans are almost rattling off my head.
post #2203 of 10929
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post

I was reading the FAQ page on the Lyr 2 and it say not to use "6n1p tube or any tube that needs more than a 415ma heater current".. Guess I shall find some other tube to try any one know of any moderately priced tubes to run in my lyr2, to run my soon to be ordered alpha dogs. The stock tubes seem to run my beyerdynamic dt 880 600 ohm headphones just fine.
That's interesting. I never liked the sound of 6n1p in the Lyr. The 6n23p is way better. I have a couple of extra pairs of modestly priced Voskhod Rockets available. PM and I can let you the ones I have.
post #2204 of 10929
Thank for the information, will start to try moderately priced tubes with in the month, need to let my wallet refill a bit. But it is worth it, the music real helps me cope with my bad back, without any pain meds.
post #2205 of 10929
Stock tubes will likely take quite a few hours to sound their best.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers