Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers - Page 124

post #1846 of 3060
There are some new ads from delax777mechanics - the last batch I got from him had 40% failing testing, two with broken pins, a '75 that was dead on arrival. Ugg! He has a picture with 4 available at that price. So the picture is bs. And no description of the tubes he will send you. Buyer beware.
post #1847 of 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavcalade View Post


Thank you very much for your help. If I can assist you guys with tubes from Germany don't hesitate to contact me. I will try my best.

I'll give this one a try: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N23P-E88CC-ECC88-6DJ8-Matched-Selected-Quad-Voskhod-Rocket-NOS-Strong-/181364001328
Ok the deal with this seller - it's a 4 seperate lot in one ad setup. He shows 4 seperate pictures. Now it's hard to tell from each picture what each tube date is - as he has them turned around facing backward. The 1st pic shows what looks like a '83, '76, and '86 can't tell the other. But since he has sold 3 of the lots you don't know what you're going to get sent to you.

It's very important to try and get at least a year matching pair with the same shield color and construction ( wire vs plate getter post). Mismatched pairs muddy the sound quaility - the focus, detail, clarity & transparency. It will also degrade the soundstage. Same goes for section matching in each tube and balance between the tubes in the pair.

I would ask him, what exactly is he sending you! Get a picture with the date codes facing forward, and put it up here. I'll try and get a reading for you. If you don't mention anything to him - it will likely be a mismatched set.

Good luck!
Edited by rb2013 - 4/15/14 at 8:59am
post #1848 of 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2013 View Post


The date is not in code (other then Roman numerals for the month in the '70s and early '80s). But it can be a bit faint, it's usually under the little rocket logo. I can see one is a 1982 from your picture. But the other is turned around. The ebay ad picture is of course the better 1970s! But burried in the ad it says they are both March 1982. That would show up as a lll 1982.
It'd be nice if they would show the picture of what they were selling! Talk about bait and switch! Especially for $72! Buyer beware.

 

The date codes match alright. The seller's rating and tube condition was one of the reasons why I got them.  

So far I'm enjoying the sound of these over the BBs. I'm actually surprised with the excellent packing, way better than what I expected.

post #1849 of 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2013 View Post


Ok the deal with this seller - it's a 4 seperate lot in one ad setup. He shows 4 seperate pictures. Now it's hard to tell from each picture what each tube date is - as he has them turned around facing backward. The 1st pic shows what looks like a '83, '76, and '86 can't tell the other. But since he has sold 3 of the lots you don't know what you're going to get sent to you.

It's very important to try and get at least a year matching pair with the same shield color and construction ( wire vs plate getter post). Mismatched pairs muddy the sound quaility - the focus, detail, clarity & transparency. It will also degrade the soundstage. Same goes for section matching in each tube and balance between the tubes in the pair.

I would ask him, what exactly is he sending you! Get a picture with the date codes facing forward, and put it up here. I'll try and get a reading for you. If you don't mention anything to him - it will likely be a mismatched set.

Good luck!

Thanks again!

 

I contacted the seller, as soon as I have the info I'll post it here. Also asked, if he's only selling a matched pair of Voskhods.

post #1850 of 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by delancyst View Post




The date codes match alright. The seller's rating and tube condition was one of the reasons why I got them.  
So far I'm enjoying the sound of these over the BBs. I'm actually surprised with the excellent packing, way better than what I expected.
That's good they are matched. The price was kind high for a pr of '82 grays - for example I have a matched pr of '71 Single Wire Getters on ebay for about the same money. These '70s are a really sweet sounding tube - very musical. The 80's gray will have just a hint of edginess to them. But they all share that legendary bass, detail, clarity and sounstaging.

As they settle in they'll open up and the soundstage will expand.

To check the degree of microphonics on yours you can listen with the music off, but the vol at moderate. Lightly tap on the top of the Lyr. Does it make that 'ting' sound? If you very gently tap the top of the tube does it make any noise?
post #1851 of 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavcalade View Post

Thanks again!

I contacted the seller, as soon as I have the info I'll post it here. Also asked, if he's only selling a matched pair of Voskhods.
That would be ideal.
post #1852 of 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2013 View Post


That's good they are matched. The price was kind high for a pr of '82 grays - for example I have a matched pr of '71 Single Wire Getters on ebay for about the same money. These '70s are a really sweet sounding tube - very musical. The 80's gray will have just a hint of edginess to them. But they all share that legendary bass, detail, clarity and sounstaging.

As they settle in they'll open up and the soundstage will expand.

To check the degree of microphonics on yours you can listen with the music off, but the vol at moderate. Lightly tap on the top of the Lyr. Does it make that 'ting' sound? If you very gently tap the top of the tube does it make any noise?

I notice they have this holographic soundstage that's almost akin to the description of swirling wine in a glass when instruments pan left and right repeatedly.

The BBs are simply a horizontal line in this regard but both compare quite closely in terms of balance with the Voskhods having a tad more punch in the bass dept.

They do make a ringing noise when i tap on them, but dead silent when I leave them alone.


Edited by delancyst - 4/15/14 at 10:10am
post #1853 of 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by delancyst View Post

I notice they have this holographic soundstage that's almost akin to the description of swirling wine in a glass when instruments pan left and right repeatedly.
The BBs are simply a horizontal line in this regard but both compare quite closely in terms of balance with the Voskhods having a tad more punch in the bass dept.
They do make a ringing noise when i tap on them, but dead silent when I leave them alone.
Yes! With your matched pair you are hearing that amazing soundstaging these are capable of. Holographic is a perfect description! The sound emanates out in a 3 demensional fashion from the source, versus a kind of layering of flat cardboard cutouts. This is truly one of the most amazing effects. Especially on headphones. This is produced by very low level ambient clues very deep in the sound mix. These low level micro-details trick the ear into recreating this new image projection.

What great audio is all about!

Since your tubes only have a bit of microphonics, I wouldn't worry about it. As long as they are quite when you're listening. It's more influenced with speakers at high volume, headphones not really (no sound waves to create feedback). I have notice that overall the 6n23p to be a really quite tube. The other tube noise, aside from microphonics, is 'tube rush' or static. This masks those very low level details that produce that amazing ambient effect.

They'll get better as they settle in. Welcome to the Rocket club!
Edited by rb2013 - 4/15/14 at 11:31am
post #1854 of 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2013 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by delancyst View Post

I notice they have this holographic soundstage that's almost akin to the description of swirling wine in a glass when instruments pan left and right repeatedly.
The BBs are simply a horizontal line in this regard but both compare quite closely in terms of balance with the Voskhods having a tad more punch in the bass dept.
They do make a ringing noise when i tap on them, but dead silent when I leave them alone.
Yes! With your matched pair you are hearing that amazing soundstaging these are capable of. Holographic is a perfect description! The sound emanates out in a 3 demensional fashion from the source, versus a kind of layering of flat cardboard cutouts. This is truly one of the most amazing effects. Especially on headphones. This is produced by very low level ambient clues very deep in the sound mix. These low level micro-details trick the ear into recreating this new image projection.

What great audio is all about!

Since your tubes only have a bit of microphonics, I wouldn't worry about it. As long as they are quite when you're listening. It's more influenced with speakers at high volume, headphones not really (no sound waves to create feedback). I have notice that overall the 6n23p to be a really quite tube. The other tube noise, aside from microphonics, is 'tube rush' or static. This masks those very low level details that produce that amazing ambient effect.

They'll get better as they settle in. Welcome to the Rocket club!

Indeed, I'm hoping that they will break-in after awhile.
Right now, I'm quite digging the soundstage that they are producing.
I didn't have much expectations in the first place as I was only looking for something with better bass than the Bugle Boys, but this is a pleasant addition to the sound that is proving to be quite addicting. smily_headphones1.gif
post #1855 of 3060
New auction on ebay by alekstel for 30 6n23ps - shows a '75 gray. This guy is one of the worst sellers on ebay! I have been burned by him before. Ove 50% were fails, sent tubes completely different from his ad. He refunded me then ebay removed the negative feedback! I won't be bidding on that one for sure. Buyer beware.
post #1856 of 3060

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm Bidding on one of his item!!!

 

:eek:

post #1857 of 3060
Quote:
name="gmahler2u" url="/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/1845#post_10463893"]OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm Bidding on one of his item!!!

eek.gif
Well you might get lucky with him. My experience was bad. Good luck!
post #1858 of 3060

I've been dying to hear one of these. Can someone please describe the sound for me?

post #1859 of 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmahler2u View Post

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm Bidding on one of his item!!!

eek.gif

good luck
post #1860 of 3060
I have to annouce kudos to 2 excellent sellers on ebay. 1st many thanks to Mike - goes by pig_on_the_wing. Found me two awesome '75s! One the long sought after '75 Reflector with the Single Wire Getter Post and Silver Shield. Tested perfect like NOS. Excellent packing and only a week from the UK. Even included a NOS pair of1980 to boot.
Many thanks Mike!

The other seller is valery_b from the Ukraine. Excellent packing, tubes as pictured. Tested NOS. A beautiful '74 SWGP and a common '82. It was the '74 I was after, next to the '75s these early '70s SWGP Voskhods are excellent!


Edited by rb2013 - 4/17/14 at 11:52am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers