Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers - Page 100

post #1486 of 2742
Wow noon on the Lyr! I never get much past 10 o'clock - does the top of the Lyr get hot? Btw - I believe that metalic coating is refered to as the getter 'flashing' as oppose to the getter. But I guess some folks use just 'getter' for short. I could be wrong.
Edited by rb2013 - 3/12/14 at 12:20pm
post #1487 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2013 View Post

Wow noon on the Lyr! I never get much past 10 o'clock - does the top of the Lyr get hot? Btw - I believe that metalic coating is refered to as the getter 'flashing' as oppose to the getter. But I guess some folks use just 'getter' for short. I could be wrong.

 

Yeah, I'm rarely past 11, though IIRC another pair of tubes I have requires a bit more juice with the HE-500s, so I'm not too surprised.  Maybe it has something to do with the age of the tubes.  I did recently switch from a dying old PC to a slightly more modern laptop, but it's still foobar2000 via USB out to Bifrost to Lyr, so I doubt PC vs. laptop would matter.  With the Q701s and SR-225s I rarely approach 10 o'clock.  The whole damn unit gets hot, but with the socket savers I can still use the volume knob ;)

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getter

 

"A getter is a deposit of reactive material that is placed inside a vacuum system, for the purpose of completing and maintaining the vacuum."

 

I recall a discussion about getter vs. getter holder vs. just-use-getter-to-describe-the-shape-cuz-that's-what-everyone-does... @ Audio Asylum.  Fun stuff.  I'm happy to keep calling the physical piece the getter, as that's accepted parlance.

post #1488 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

My toys from Russia arrived :D

 

.............. I also got some Tesla E88CCs (6922s) from the '60s.  Haven't tried to figure out the exact date, if that's possible.....

 

If the text is legible on the Teslas, this site can be useful for dating:

 

http://tubes-store.com/article_info.php?articles_id=5

post #1489 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibosi View Post

 

If the text is legible on the Teslas, this site can be useful for dating:

 

http://tubes-store.com/article_info.php?articles_id=5

 

Thanks!  Yep, it's pretty clear.  I'll have a look....

 

I see "158" with "YH" below that, so, guessing August 1968.  The printing is really nice, actually, as are the pins.


Edited by ThurstonX - 3/12/14 at 6:33pm
post #1490 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post

Yeah, I'm rarely past 11, though IIRC another pair of tubes I have requires a bit more juice with the HE-500s, so I'm not too surprised.  Maybe it has something to do with the age of the tubes.  I did recently switch from a dying old PC to a slightly more modern laptop, but it's still foobar2000 via USB out to Bifrost to Lyr, so I doubt PC vs. laptop would matter.  With the Q701s and SR-225s I rarely approach 10 o'clock.  The whole damn unit gets hot, but with the socket savers I can still use the volume knob wink.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getter

"A getter is a deposit of reactive material that is placed inside a vacuum
 system, for the purpose of completing and maintaining the vacuum."

I recall a discussion about getter vs. getter holder vs. just-use-getter-to-describe-the-shape-cuz-that's-what-everyone-does... @ Audio Asylum.  Fun stuff.  I'm happy to keep calling the physical piece the getter, as that's accepted parlance.
Thanks for setting straight on the getter parlance. Yes, if the Lyr get so hot you can't touch the volume knob - that would not be good! LOL!! The heat from the case is from the solid state Mosfet output transistors running in class 'A'. It appears that the case is the thermal cooling for these toasty bits, as opposed to cooling fins.
post #1491 of 2742
Speaking of toastie Class A amps. Over many years and many amps, Class A solid state Mosfets in particular seem to sound best - very warm. They should be run for several hours before listening. In fact, I turn them on in the morning and let them idle all day, or listen to them. My office amp is run 10hrs a day. Same for the Lyr, if I'm even planning on listening that day. The amps run, fully warmed up, sweeter sounding. Cold they have a touch of hardness. The downside tube life, and a very small increase in electricity usage.
post #1492 of 2742

I fire my Lyr up about an hour or so before use.  When the volume knob is warm, it's good to go for me.

post #1493 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco1965 View Post

I fire my Lyr up about an hour or so before use.  When the volume knob is warm, it's good to go for me.
What was that Beatles song...'Happiness is warm...
post #1494 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2013 View Post

What was that Beatles song...'Happiness is warm...

 

"Oh, don'tcha know that HAPPINESS is a waaaaaarm... yes, it is.... TUUUU-UUUU-UUUBE"

:D

post #1495 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

"Oh, don'tcha know that HAPPINESS is a waaaaaarm... yes, it is.... TUUUU-UUUU-UUUBE"

:D

What he said!  :biggrin:

post #1496 of 2742

A while back, Schiit used to offer Tungsram ECC85 as an option for the Lyr, but no longer. I'm kinda curious about these tubes. Does anyone know if these tubes from eBay seller TubeMaze are the same as what Schiit used to sell?

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-2x-Tungsram-EI-NOS-NIB-6AQ8-ECC85-6N1-tubes-Ships-from-US-/181321881496?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a37a05798

post #1497 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by guildenstern View Post
 

A while back, Schiit used to offer Tungsram ECC85 as an option for the Lyr, but no longer. I'm kinda curious about these tubes. Does anyone know if these tubes from eBay seller TubeMaze are the same as what Schiit used to sell?

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-2x-Tungsram-EI-NOS-NIB-6AQ8-ECC85-6N1-tubes-Ships-from-US-/181321881496?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a37a05798


Well...I can't speak for the sound quality, but I ordered a pair of Tungsram ECC85s from that exact seller via ebay. They sent me a "matched pair" with completely different getters in them. :eek:

 

What do you expect for $29 bucks?

post #1498 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post
 


Well...I can't speak for the sound quality, but I ordered a pair of Tungsram ECC85s from that exact seller via ebay. They sent me a "matched pair" with completely different getters in them. :eek:

 

What do you expect for $29 bucks?


Ah, well, hope springs eternal! Thanks for the heads-up. You know, these stock GEs are starting to sound better all the time...:happy_face1:

post #1499 of 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by guildenstern View Post

 

Ah, well, hope springs eternal! Thanks for the heads-up. You know, these stock GEs are starting to sound better all the time...:happy_face1:

 

LOL.  There are some not expensive alternatives to explore: some Amperexes, Voskhod Rockets... hell, the 1968 Tesla E88CCs I just got from Russia are excellent for the $$$.

 

Love your nick and avatar.  Watch out for that Hamlet guy.  He may be mad north-north-west, but when the wind is southerly, he knows a hawk from a handsaw ;)

 

Cheers from... central VA :)

:beerchug:

post #1500 of 2742

My setup is Foobar2000 -> ASUS Maximus VI Impact Mobo (TOSLINK 24/192) -> Audioengine D1 -> Schiit Lyr (Late 70's Voskhods OR Amperex OG tubes) -> DT880.  

 

I LOVE this setup, but I'd like to try and open the soundstage a bit more.  Other than that, I just love to stare at the Lyr.

 

I'm mainly a Jazz / Classical kinda guy entering into the tube rolling arena.  This weekend a friend is going to a radio/hobbyist get together in NC, so I should be able to get a bunch of interesting tubes.  I'm finding that the stories behind these tubes are more interesting to me than most of the tubes themselves.  Example: the fact I possibly own tubes from the Russian space program and can use them in a headphone amplifier is just downright cool.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers