Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Big headed users, help a brother out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Big headed users, help a brother out. - Page 2

post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

Umm ... NO.  Impedance by itself has nothing to do with whether an external amp is needed or not.  Typically, high impedances require an amp because small portables/sound cards simply do not have the voltage swing necessary to power a high-impedance set of headphones.  However, low impedance phones that are very inefficient will also require an amp.

It's more accurate to state the impedance defines the type of amplifier required (voltage or current), while efficiency really determines how much amplification is needed.
I'm saying that the AKGs need an amp to sound at their best.
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post


I'm saying that the AKGs need an amp to sound at their best.

I never disagreed with that. wink.gif

post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

I never disagreed with that. wink.gif
If the OP doesn't want an amp, then the ATH-AD900X is a good choice.
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post


If the OP doesn't want an amp, then the ATH-AD900X is a good choice.

Geez, man ... let me make this clear: your statement about impedance was all wrong.  I never said anything about your headphone recommendations.

post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

Geez, man ... let me make this clear: your statement about impedance was all wrong.  I never said anything about your headphone recommendations.

I'm not on about that anymore. Not once have I mentioned impedance after your post. 

post #21 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post


If the OP doesn't want an amp, then the ATH-AD900X is a good choice.

reviews on amazon say that they should be driven through an external amp though.

 

i'm thoroughly convinced that the only headphones that don't need an extra source of driving are the ATH M50s and the sort of phones I have now. 

post #22 of 24

Didnt read your requirements but as a big headed guy myself. 

 

ATH! ATH! ATH!

 

My AD700's were actually a bit large until I stuffed the pads. 

post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicallyDead View Post

reviews on amazon say that they should be driven through an external amp though.

i'm thoroughly convinced that the only headphones that don't need an extra source of driving are the ATH M50s and the sort of phones I have now. 
The ATH-AD900X can be used without an amp but will perform better with one.
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicallyDead View Post

Reviews on amazon say that they should be driven through an external amp though.

I'm thoroughly convinced that the only headphones that don't need an extra source of driving are the ATH M50s and the sort of phones I have now. 

With 40-Ohm headphones, you really want to plug them into a source (headphone jack) with a really low impedance

External amplifiers come with the lowest impedance, some less then 1-Ohm.

Internal sound cards, with headphone amplifier,

seem to have an impedance of around 10-Ohm (still not too bad for 40-Ohm headphones like the A900x & AD900X).

Line-out jacks (on motherboards) and some internal sound card (non-amped) can have an impedance of up to 100-Ohms.

 

I believe headphones like the ATH-M50s are designed to work decently with line-out (non-amped) jacks.

But used with a true headphone amp can improve audio quality (to a point).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Big headed users, help a brother out.