New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman He-400 or He-500? - Page 26

post #376 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubiboy90 View Post

HE500 is almost double price with HE400, can't expect HE400 better than HE500.
Quick question: how many percent that HE500 better than HE400?

 

That's totally impossible to answer as it depends on personal preference concerning sound signature as well as on the type of music one listens to.  The only real way to decide is to audition them both and then decide.  I know auditioning a variety of headphones is not always easy, depending on your location, I was in the same situation a couple of weeks ago but in my case the decision was between the HE-500 and HE-6.  To give you an idea about the factors involved (for me), I posted a thread about the process:

 

 http://www.head-fi.org/t/680974/my-quest-for-the-perfect-classical-music-headphone-a-brief-visit-of-the-dt-880-t1-hd-800-he-6-and-he-500-long

post #377 of 507
I am planning to get a HE-400 or HE-500 and use it with my 801 with balanced amp card. How will it sound? I've read that balanced amp card should be enough for HE-400/500. Which should I choose?
post #378 of 507
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menkau-ra View Post

I am planning to get a HE-400 or HE-500 and use it with my 801 with balanced amp card. How will it sound? I've read that balanced amp card should be enough for HE-400/500. Which should I choose?

 

IMO, if you can afford the HE-500, purchase that first and worry about amping requirements after. It seems that the 

Max Output: 440 mw for the 801. If you decide to go for the HE-500 you won't be getting the most out of the headphone and will eventually need a more powerful amp (recommend the Emotiva Mini-x a-100). If you decide the HE-400, I'm unsure as to how much it will power the headphone and if it would be reaching is maximum potential in terms of amping power. From my experience so far, after purchasing the HE-500 from the help of others through this thread I created, I have not been disappointed and I am glad to have much more room for improvement either through mods or with proper amping and sourcing. Even without proper amping or source I still enjoy these headphones to the point that I know I do not want to get rid of them. They will most likely be end-game for me once I get the proper rig to run them. The HE-400 I've heard is much more fun and has better bass texture, but the fun factor of the headphone for many doesn't satisfy their long term desire for a headphone. I think you'd be happy with the HE-500 whether its properly amped to begin with or not, but remember that when they are properly amped, they will be comparable to summit-fi headphones in terms of enjoy-ability and musicality.

post #379 of 507

+1 Just get the HE-500 and worry about amping it later. It still sound okay from whatever you have. Later you can get something more powerful ike the Emotiva which will make you even happier.

post #380 of 507
Thread Starter 

Man, looking back at before I even started this thread 'till now feels like its been ages. I've fallin in love with these headphones. I do not regret buying these one bit. I absolutely LOVE how I still can look forward to improvement with jergpads, new grills, emotiva, and modi. Meanwhile, I've been enjoying my every now and then experience with the Denon AVR-CI2808 speaker taps and can say that it definitely helps me look forward toward the emotiva as my dedicated amp to use at my computer or room. Thanks to EVERYONE that helped me decide on this headphone over the HE-400 and any other headphone, as I believe I wouldn't have been as satisfied with the HE-400 as I would have with the HE-500 I currently have. So far I have modded the pleathers with damping holes and removed the cloth on the grills. I'd really like to say thanks to Modulor and Koiloco so far for both their help with ANYTHING I've asked and advice they've given me. And Koiloco, thanks for the adapter, it's been really nice to be able to listen to the Denon every now and then to remind me what I have in store with the Emotiva ;)

post #381 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post
 

Man, looking back at before I even started this thread 'till now feels like its been ages. I've fallin in love with these headphones. I do not regret buying these one bit. I absolutely LOVE how I still can look forward to improvement with jergpads, new grills, emotiva, and modi. Meanwhile, I've been enjoying my every now and then experience with the Denon AVR-CI2808 speaker taps and can say that it definitely helps me look forward toward the emotiva as my dedicated amp to use at my computer or room. Thanks to EVERYONE that helped me decide on this headphone over the HE-400 and any other headphone, as I believe I wouldn't have been as satisfied with the HE-400 as I would have with the HE-500 I currently have. So far I have modded the pleathers with damping holes and removed the cloth on the grills. I'd really like to say thanks to Modulor and Koiloco so far for both their help with ANYTHING I've asked and advice they've given me. And Koiloco, thanks for the adapter, it's been really nice to be able to listen to the Denon every now and then to remind me what I have in store with the Emotiva ;)

 

What kind of music do you listen to on the 500? 

post #382 of 507
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulmaster View Post

What kind of music do you listen to on the 500? 
Just about all genres except for classical, country and metal
post #383 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post


Just about all genres except for classical, country and metal

 

Same here (but mostly electronic). I'd like to try the 500 to see if I like it more than 400. I love how pronounced the bass is on the 400, but I would like to hear nicer treble and mids. 

post #384 of 507
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulmaster View Post
 

 

Same here (but mostly electronic). I'd like to try the 500 to see if I like it more than 400. I love how pronounced the bass is on the 400, but I would like to hear nicer treble and mids. 

 

I can see why more bass would be nice, but I don't exactly see it "needed" either. I haven't heard the HE-400 as I ended up choosing the HE-500 over it, and I'd say the extra treble does add some more "sparkle" to electronic music. Mids aren't as relevant to electronic music, but still, the fact that it's in line with the rest of the FR helps to keep the music sounding "right" IMO. Sure, some coloration that the HE-400 does would be nice for some time, but I feel like it would only become so repetitive and common over time that it wouldn't be something that special anymore.

post #385 of 507
I've HE400 and want to upgrade to HE500. But my combo is iBasso DX50 + Meier 2Stepdance

Is my combo is powerful enough to drive HE500 ?
post #386 of 507
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaan View Post

I've HE400 and want to upgrade to HE500. But my combo is iBasso DX50 + Meier 2Stepdance

Is my combo is powerful enough to drive HE500 ?
It's said that the he-500 needs a minimum of 1W of power. If that setup reaches that id say it's good. But, I'd consider saving up for the emotiva mini-x a-100 speaker amp at only $169 right now to power the he-500 to a very good level.
post #387 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post

It's said that the he-500 needs a minimum of 1W of power. If that setup reaches that id say it's good. But, I'd consider saving up for the emotiva mini-x a-100 speaker amp at only $169 right now to power the he-500 to a very good level.
I heard the Stepdance has enough power to drive orthos. I've got a PB2 and it sounds great with the HE500s and it's a portable. It sounds better than my desktop amp the AudioGD 15.32 which has more than 1w at the HE500s impedance
post #388 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaan View Post

I've HE400 and want to upgrade to HE500. But my combo is iBasso DX50 + Meier 2Stepdance

Is my combo is powerful enough to drive HE500 ?
occasionally I drive my HE500s from the DX50s, PB2 combo and it does sound fantastic
post #389 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post



It's said that the he-500 needs a minimum of 1W of power. If that setup reaches that id say it's good. But, I'd consider saving up for the emotiva mini-x a-100 speaker amp at only $169 right now to power the he-500 to a very good level.

 



Sory but how can I understand power is 1W of my combo. No infos at Meier 2stepdance page : http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/2stepdance.htm
post #390 of 507
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post



It's said that the he-500 needs a minimum of 1W of power. If that setup reaches that id say it's good. But, I'd consider saving up for the emotiva mini-x a-100 speaker amp at only $169 right now to power the he-500 to a very good level.

 



Sory but how can I understand power is 1W of my combo. No infos at Meier 2stepdance page : http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/2stepdance.htm
That is what I'm not sure about. Hopefully someone else can help you out with that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home