or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman He-400 or He-500? - Page 22

post #316 of 508
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

In your dream...  At least for now.  But if you want to save $100, then go ahead.  You won't be missin much since you haven't had your HE500 for that long to really find out what it can do.

Don't get sucked into new product hype.

Nah, I've realized I already love these with them not even being properly amped yet. And I love the look, make, everything about the HE-500. I bought mine like-new for $614 so i wouldnt even be saving anything. Looks like the hype also makes them seem a bit better than they probably are too, so I'm gonna keep the HE-500 atsmile.gif

post #317 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

That may be how you view them, but I wouldn't say that those comments are a consensus. 

 

1. They are itchy to stiff to some but I think that with the warm water bath trick, they are quite supple and comfy.

 

2. Thin? Hmm...what is your source/amp?

 

3. The midrange will certainly improve with the jergpads but I just can't call the pleathers "bad" at all.

+1000.  Agree with you 100%.

While I have no doubt that modulor jergpad could bring some improvement, dissing stock velours/pleathers like they are so horrible is too a little too much.  Get off the freaking band wagon, please.

post #318 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

+1000.  Agree with you 100%.

While I have no doubt that modulor jergpad could bring some improvement, dissing stock velours/pleathers like they are so horrible is too a little too much.  Get off the freaking band wagon, please.

rolleyes.gif

 

What next, gonna call T50RPs modding bandwagons because everyone praises how they sound so much better than stock ones? Haha!


Edited by jerg - 8/14/13 at 9:27pm
post #319 of 508
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

+1000.  Agree with you 100%.

While I have no doubt that modulor jergpad could bring some improvement, dissing stock velours/pleathers like they are so horrible is too a little too much.  Get off the freaking band wagon, please.

Didn't call them HORRIBLE, but I do find them very...thin still. I did begin with them and enjoyed them UNTIL I tried the jergpads.. Haven't really gave them a full shot yet again (try them for more than a few min, rather than letting my ears adjust again)

post #320 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post

Nah, I've realized I already love these with them not even being properly amped yet. And I love the look, make, everything about the HE-500. I bought mine like-new for $614 so i wouldnt even be saving anything. Looks like the hype also makes them seem a bit better than they probably are too, so I'm gonna keep the HE-500 atsmile.gif

I wish you live by either M-13 or me.  You can come over and try your HE500 on the Emotiva.  In 8 weeks, you can try it on my incoming Taboo MKIII.  

post #321 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post

Didn't call them HORRIBLE, but I do find them very...thin still. I did begin with them and enjoyed them UNTIL I tried the jergpads.. Haven't really gave them a full shot yet again (try them for more than a few min, rather than letting my ears adjust again)

You didn't.  Jerg did.

Remember that I am in for the 2nd round of jergpad so I am not dissing modulor jergpad or anything but I love to verify myths, especially subjective ones.

post #322 of 508
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

I wish you live by either M-13 or me.  You can come over and try your HE500 on the Emotiva.  In 8 weeks, you can try it on my incoming Taboo MKIII.  

OMG. Lol, that would've been amazing biggrin.gif

post #323 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalker81598 View Post

I really like the Lyr with the HD800. The HD800 is, by design, a really quick headphone. The Lyr slows down the attack a little bit and lushes up the mids and bass. There are other amps that are more "transparent" or "detailed" or whatever other Head-Fi cliché you can think of, but I think the Lyr really makes the HD800 much more enjoyable to listen to. I haven't had an opportunity to hear the Valhalla so unfortunately I can't make a comparison to the Lyr.

Yeah I've asked for a Vahalla + HD800 comparison like a dozen times on various related thread and haven't gotten a response from anyone. Perhaps the lack of response is a response?

 

When I first bought my Lyr I bought it to power the HE-500 because I thought that's what I needed. I was pleasantly surprised that the Lyr was wonderful combo with the HD650/Q701/D2000. It drove these mid-fi headphones to incredible heights with lushness and aplomb. Now coming around full circle I'm happy with the Emotiva driving the HE-500. Happier than I was with the Lyr, yet I still long for the Lyr for it's tube goodness and it's ability to drive many headphones to awesomeness.

 

One fault of the Lyr I guess is that it wasn't particularly a transparent amp. Even with awesome $150+ vintage tubes, although this did help of course. The $189 Emotiva is more transparent, which I was pleasant surprised at.

post #324 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

 In 8 weeks, you can try it on my incoming Taboo MKIII.  

Awesome!

 

Taboo MKIII is so hot right now. It's "the amp" under $2000 in my opinion. Welll I guess there is the Super-7 as well, but Taboo is really cool. Koiloco you need to get the HD800 now, because I hear the Taboo makes love to it.

 

*BTW Koi, thanks for your honest accessment of the Alphas. I actually sent my Mad Dog 3.1 back to Dan because I had some issues with it. I liked them a lot the first few hours and wrote a raving/crazy/lunatic impression for them, and then some flaws creapt up. I felt bad, so I e-mailed Dan the issues I had with them and quietly sent them back without much fuss. I'm somewhat dubious of the Alphas. I'm sure they're nice and sound even better than the Mad Dog, but not sure I would pick it over the upcoming Audeze closed-back. Well I guess the Audeze is going to be at least 2X the price if not 3X, but still could put the money toward that eventual goal. Also the TH600 is $800~ or so from Japan these days, which also has me interested...


Edited by M-13 - 8/14/13 at 10:52pm
post #325 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post

OMG. Lol, that would've been amazing biggrin.gif

Wait Nimzerz, didn't you say you're already driving the HE-500 from a speaker amp? Just get the some banana cables to XLR adapter and plug the HE-500 in to the speaker taps in the back. And then upgrade your source.

 

For what it's worth I also find the velours to be superior because:

 

1. Timbre is more accurate. The pleathers sound slightly metallic to me.

2. The upper-mids are less recessed which gives them a feeling of openess and "air" : The HE-500 sounds muffled with a messy boosted bass with the pleathers. But yes it does sound "thicker" because it's missing all that upper-mid information.

 

IMHO of course. I'll say if you're more into the pleathers after a while you should check out the LCD-2, because that actually has a tonality similar to the pleather + HE-500, well sort of I guess, but more in a refined way with super accurate timbre.

 

*Haven't tried the jerg pads yet because I'm happy with the way it sounds with the velours, but A LOT of people love the jerg pad, so probably doesn't hurt to check them out.


Edited by M-13 - 8/14/13 at 10:44pm
post #326 of 508
After the DAC update, i know amp has to be Next before i can get The Hd800. I tried the hd800 on emotiva. It was not bad but quite far from good smily_headphones1.gif vs other heavy hitters at the meet not cuz of pwr lacking but bad synergy. After the meet, i knew i prefer tube amp with the hd800. Comparing q701 to hd800, IMO, the improvements range is from 10%-20% At most with biggest improvement in the bass. So i narrowed amp choices Down to one That can drive both planar and hd800 well. The taboo came up. The rest is history. I m now $2k poorer. After hd800, i will be Done. Final destination, Stax. I m hawaii blue tongue.gif cuz that sound signature still stuck in brain. Omfg.
Edited by koiloco - 8/14/13 at 11:21pm
post #327 of 508
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

Wait Nimzerz, didn't you say you're already driving the HE-500 from a speaker amp? Just get the some banana cables to XLR adapter and plug the HE-500 in to the speaker taps in the back. And then upgrade your source.

 

For what it's worth I also find the velours to be superior because:

 

1. Timbre is more accurate. The pleathers sound slightly metallic to me.

2. The upper-mids are less recessed which gives them a feeling of openess and "air" : The HE-500 sounds muffled with a messy boosted bass with the pleathers. But yes it does sound "thicker" because it's missing all that upper-mid information.

 

IMHO of course. I'll say if you're more into the pleathers after a while you should check out the LCD-2, because that actually has a tonality similar to the pleather + HE-500, well sort of I guess, but more in a refined way with super accurate timbre.

 

*Haven't tried the jerg pads yet because I'm happy with the way it sounds with the velours, but A LOT of people love the jerg pad, so probably doesn't hurt to check them out.

#1) I don't want to get my cable redone

#2) My speaker amp isnt mine, and doesnt share a common ground i'd assume

#3) It's just not convenient (its in my family room, and away from my computer etc.)

 

I also agree in every point you made for the velours, but I can't really stand the funky sounding midrange when compared to the pleathers...


Edited by Nimzerz - 8/14/13 at 11:22pm
post #328 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post

#1) I don't want to get my cable redone

#2) My speaker amp isnt mine, and doesnt share a common ground i'd assume

#3) It's just not convenient (its in my family room, and away from my computer etc.)

 

I also agree in every point you made for the velours, but I can't really stand the funky sounding midrange when compared to the pleathers...

Gotcha wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

After the DAC update, i know amp has to be Next before i can get The Hd800. I tried the hd800 on emotiva. It was not bad but quite far from good smily_headphones1.gif vs other heavy hitters at the meet not cuz of pwr lacking but bad synergy. After the meet, i knew i prefer tube amp with the hd800. Comparing q701 to hd800, IMO, the improvements range is from 10%-20% At most with biggest improvement in the bass. So i narrowed amp choices Down to one That can drive both planar and hd800 well. The taboo came up. The rest is history. I m now $2k poorer. After hd800, i will be Done. Final destination, Stax. I m hawaii blue tongue.gif cuz that sound signature still stuck in brain. Omfg.

You were able to pull off the Taboo without selling any Koi? evil_smiley.gif

 

Did the HD800 have a lot of hissing, noise floor hum from the Emotiva? That's what someone said in the Emotiva thread.

 

Yeah Taboo + HD800 is probably End Game for a lot of people. Now for even better DACs: Anedio D2, Yulong DA8, Matrix X-Sabre, or the little Concero I have? I guess you can spend more and get the Lynx Hilo or Perfect Wave MKII. But then you might need to really sell a Koi. very_evil_smiley.gif

 

Wow nevermind your DAC is actually a really expensive/awesome DAC I'm unfamiliar with... Sorry about this, my apologies to your kois as well.


Edited by M-13 - 8/14/13 at 11:34pm
post #329 of 508
Thread Starter 
Anyone here live close to Seattle? smily_headphones1.gif also how frequent are meets in Seattle?
post #330 of 508
I must be the only person who tried the jergpad mod and prefers the velour.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home