or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman He-400 or He-500? - Page 16

post #226 of 508
Thread Starter 
How can I make a headphone cable terminate to a speaker input?... For something like the emotive. My cousin might make one for himself and maybe me
post #227 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post

How can I make a headphone cable terminate to a speaker input?... For something like the emotive. My cousin might make one for himself and maybe me

 

You'll need to terminate the end of the cable with banana plugs.

post #228 of 508
Thread Starter 
Is t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalker81598 View Post

You'll need to terminate the end of the cable with banana plugs.
is there a guide in that somewhere?
post #229 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post

Is t
is there a guide in that somewhere?

 

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+install+banana+plugs

 

tongue_smile.gif

post #230 of 508
Thread Starter 
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalker81598 View Post

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+install+banana+plugs

tongue_smile.gif
is there an adapter I can make or buy to attach to the headphone cable it came with so I don't have to strip it etc?
post #231 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post

I
is there an adapter I can make or buy to attach to the headphone cable it came with so I don't have to strip it etc?

 

It would depend on the amp. If the amp shares common between the two channels you could make a 1/4" to banana plug adapter. If the amp doesn't share common then you will potentially damage the amp by connecting the "-" terminals by using a single ended connector. In that case, you would have to put a different connector on the cable.

 

You could get a balanced cable for the HE-500 with either 3 pin or 4 pin XLR and make an XLR to banana plug adapter and an XLR to 1/4". That way you could use it for pretty much any amp by using various adapters.

post #232 of 508
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalker81598 View Post

It would depend on the amp. If the amp shares common between the two channels you could make a 1/4" to banana plug adapter. If the amp doesn't share common then you will potentially damage the amp by connecting the "-" terminals by using a single ended connector. In that case, you would have to put a different connector on the cable.

You could get a balanced cable for the HE-500 with either 3 pin or 4 pin XLR and make an XLR to banana plug adapter and an XLR to 1/4". That way you could use it for pretty much any amp by using various adapters.
Which one applies to the emotiva?
post #233 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post


Which one applies to the emotiva?

 

I believe the Emotiva does share a common ground so it should be safe to use a single ended cable. Might want to send an email to Emotiva and ask them first though.

post #234 of 508

With regards to using a speaker amp, etc. to drive a pair of HifiMan or any other headphone for that matter, all the answers one seeks is basically contained in the following thread:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project

 

It might be best to post your questions in that area where others have been working on this process.  It might be better than clouding up this thread with 40 questions on how to accomplish the task.  Plus, there's plenty of pictures, etc. in the thread, too.

post #235 of 508

Pardon the noobness, but doesn't pure direct also depend upon the source/output device? I know for my HTPC on pure direct if I play music using Plex (connected via AMD GPU using HDMI), I get audio out of the center channel. If I don't directly set it to stereo all channels are driven.

 

This thread is making me question the HE-400 purchase...:( OH WELL!

post #236 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by epyon415 View Post

Pardon the noobness, but doesn't pure direct also depend upon the source/output device? I know for my HTPC on pure direct if I play music using Plex (connected via AMD GPU using HDMI), I get audio out of the center channel. If I don't directly set it to stereo all channels are driven.

 

This thread is making me question the HE-400 purchase...:( OH WELL!

 

Don't doubt your purchase.  Been there, done that.  The HE-400, with a lil' help from some EQ adjustments will easily make the HE-400 sing like a bird.  Granted, not all here might agree with me.  But, to my ears, I'm finally hearing what I've been trying to hear and going through 7 pair of HifiMan headphones (2x the HE-500, 2x the HE-5LE, 2x the HE-400 and 1x the HE-4) is what it cost me to get there.

post #237 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by epyon415 View Post

Pardon the noobness, but doesn't pure direct also depend upon the source/output device? I know for my HTPC on pure direct if I play music using Plex (connected via AMD GPU using HDMI), I get audio out of the center channel. If I don't directly set it to stereo all channels are driven.

 

This thread is making me question the HE-400 purchase...:( OH WELL!


Not really, it should just be a direct stereo out put, if the source/output device was the determining factor as to what speakers played on Pure Direct and your center is playing, that would mean the source is putting out 2 channel logic or or some kind of 3.? surround sound natively.  Who knows what the computer "home theater" stuff is supposed to do? Haha! I know home audio and computers pretty well, but the computer zone is very much "whatever they want to do" it seems.  I guess the Pure Direct still works with surround sound on your setup?  I also don't know what "Plex" is....

post #238 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by epyon415 View Post

This thread is making me question the HE-400 purchase...:( OH WELL!

Sometimes a product just isn't for you, I went through my HE-400 in 10 days and my experience with the DT990 600ohm was very similar.  If you like it, go with it though.  I liked a lot of things about the HE-400, I really did....especially the price!

post #239 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

Don't doubt your purchase.  Been there, done that.  The HE-400, with a lil' help from some EQ adjustments will easily make the HE-400 sing like a bird.  Granted, not all here might agree with me.  But, to my ears, I'm finally hearing what I've been trying to hear and going through 7 pair of HifiMan headphones (2x the HE-500, 2x the HE-5LE, 2x the HE-400 and 1x the HE-4) is what it cost me to get there.

 

wje,

 

Real quick, can you compare the HE-4 and HE-500 experience? Pretend money is the same and an amp isn't an issue.

 

Thanks!

post #240 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by epyon415 View Post

Pardon the noobness, but doesn't pure direct also depend upon the source/output device? I know for my HTPC on pure direct if I play music using Plex (connected via AMD GPU using HDMI), I get audio out of the center channel. If I don't directly set it to stereo all channels are driven.

 

This thread is making me question the HE-400 purchase...:( OH WELL!

Lol.

 

Nothing matters until you've HEARD the dang headphones. Then you can make a judgement whether to hate it (then just refund immediately), love it (then keep it), or be indifferent (keep it momentarily and see if your opinion shifts).

 

If a few second-party opinions is reliable enough all the time, then the FS/T sub-forum is obsolete.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home