- 65 Posts. Joined 5/2013
- Location: Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 7/20/13
Related Forum Threads
- I have a $300 budget for a new pair of headphones, can I get some help deciding on a pair? Last post on 9/23/14 at 1:14am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Some upgrade advice would be appreciated Last post on 9/15/14 at 8:23am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphone Multipurpose under 200$ Last post on 9/16/14 at 7:59pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Help choosing my first "decent" over ear headphones? Last post on 9/15/14 at 1:59pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Can't decided between the Fidelio X1, HD598, or HD600 Last post on 9/11/14 at 12:41pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Entry level dac for sennheiser hd 598?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I got a pair of sennheiser hd 598 for a grad/birthday gift combined. What is an entry dac I can buy that matches the hd 598 sound signature? I am looking to buy an amp as well. I live in Canada otherwise I would order a modi/magni combo. I am looking to spend $200 on the two of them.
Might help to know what source(s) the DAC (or DAC/amp) are going to be plugged into?
An Asus Xonar DG internal sound card is only around $30 and is fairly decent at driving 50-Ohm Sennheiser HD5XX series headphones (I own the HD558s).
The Fiio E10 is an external USB/DAC/Amp ($65 USA), but I do not believe it offers audio quality any better then the Xonar DG.
Sound Blaster Z internal sound card , ($80 USA), better DAC and head amp, then the Xonar DG (and guessing better then the E10).
Fiio E17, external USB, optical, coaxial, DAC, head amp, ($110-$140 USA).
Can use the E17 with lots of different source(s) for driving the HD598s
Audioengine D1 external USB/optical, DAC, head amp. ($175 USA)
Runs off AC and can connect to USB and S/PDIF optical ports
I'm assuming your into FPS gaming (3 graphics cards).
If you want to be able to use the motherboard's on-board audio for Headphone Surround Sound, you would need to use a S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) connection between the motherboard and external DAC.
(USB will bypass on-board audio).
Off hand my brain is too tired to think anymore, back in 8 hours.
I plan on going PC>USB Port>DAC>Amp>headphones>my ears>audial nerve>synapses in my brain to recognize sound
Sorry I've had a few lol.
DAC Destroyer USB DAC, might be able to get one off eBay for around $55, ships from Canada.
Ebay seller hotaudio40
PAV2V (Personal Amp. 2 Version 2) headphone amplifier, sells on eBay,
bids only, might get it for around $65
Ebay seller grans-ar
If the laptop comes with a S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) output (to connect to the E17), then you get to use full audio features
May I ask why you aren't interested in a combo? I listen to a wide range of music and find the Aune T1 hybrid dac/amp to be an excellent choice for driving the 598s little brother 558 (same driver). The Aune is a small package in your price range (tube rolling can boost the cost but it sounds good with the standard tube). If you are set on discrete dac and amp the Schiit Magni and Modi are $99 each and may be worth reading up on.
- Entry level dac for sennheiser hd 598?
- › Sennheiser Momentum for classical music 56 seconds ago
- › Help in finding the best in ear phones that 50+/-$ can buy 58 seconds ago
- › AK240 Balanced RSA cable 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › PEF-12 for AK240 2 minutes ago
- › Current Mode Amplifiers, how do they work? 3 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 3 minutes ago
- › **WTB Bottlehead Crack w/sb** 4 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New... 5 minutes ago
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by xonarboy87
- › Construction expenses falls 0.8% in August...
- › Facebook, Ericsson & XL Indonesia Create...
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2