- 65 Posts. Joined 5/2013
- Location: Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 7/20/13
Related Forum Threads
- Virtual Audio Cable with Sennheiser HD598 Headphones config question Last post on 8/12/14 at 7:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Hello and Sennheisers 598 vs ??? Last post on 8/12/14 at 9:55am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- need help picking headphones Last post on 8/6/14 at 6:44pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser HD 598 vs Audio Technica ATH-A900X Last post on 7/28/14 at 8:40am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Any info/reviews of the Soundblaster E3 and E1? Last post on 7/1/14 at 9:47pm in Portable Headphone Amps
First, a big thanks to Todd The Vinyl Junkie for making the 'e' series loaner program possible. To the next guy in line: sorry I kept them for so long. The very first pair of 'high-end'...
A big thanks to TekFusion for sending the TwinWoofer in for review and Ibrahim for taking the photo shots! TekFusion is a brand new fresh company based in India. Targeted for consumer...
I enjoy these headphones very much. A beautiful sound, clear and natural with a tight bass. I am a bit surprised such small cans can sounds so good. The wood finish might not suit everyone, but...
INTRODUCTION Build quality is excellent. This is my second headphone review.M40x is a recent release from Audio Technica,it is a...
PACKAGING : Earphones cames with a nice little box and 2 pair of white foamies (1 pair of donut and 1 pair of classic covered). I’m always using donuts one since it provides some slightly more...
Entry level dac for sennheiser hd 598?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I got a pair of sennheiser hd 598 for a grad/birthday gift combined. What is an entry dac I can buy that matches the hd 598 sound signature? I am looking to buy an amp as well. I live in Canada otherwise I would order a modi/magni combo. I am looking to spend $200 on the two of them.
Might help to know what source(s) the DAC (or DAC/amp) are going to be plugged into?
An Asus Xonar DG internal sound card is only around $30 and is fairly decent at driving 50-Ohm Sennheiser HD5XX series headphones (I own the HD558s).
The Fiio E10 is an external USB/DAC/Amp ($65 USA), but I do not believe it offers audio quality any better then the Xonar DG.
Sound Blaster Z internal sound card , ($80 USA), better DAC and head amp, then the Xonar DG (and guessing better then the E10).
Fiio E17, external USB, optical, coaxial, DAC, head amp, ($110-$140 USA).
Can use the E17 with lots of different source(s) for driving the HD598s
Audioengine D1 external USB/optical, DAC, head amp. ($175 USA)
Runs off AC and can connect to USB and S/PDIF optical ports
I'm assuming your into FPS gaming (3 graphics cards).
If you want to be able to use the motherboard's on-board audio for Headphone Surround Sound, you would need to use a S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) connection between the motherboard and external DAC.
(USB will bypass on-board audio).
Off hand my brain is too tired to think anymore, back in 8 hours.
I plan on going PC>USB Port>DAC>Amp>headphones>my ears>audial nerve>synapses in my brain to recognize sound
Sorry I've had a few lol.
DAC Destroyer USB DAC, might be able to get one off eBay for around $55, ships from Canada.
Ebay seller hotaudio40
PAV2V (Personal Amp. 2 Version 2) headphone amplifier, sells on eBay,
bids only, might get it for around $65
Ebay seller grans-ar
If the laptop comes with a S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) output (to connect to the E17), then you get to use full audio features
May I ask why you aren't interested in a combo? I listen to a wide range of music and find the Aune T1 hybrid dac/amp to be an excellent choice for driving the 598s little brother 558 (same driver). The Aune is a small package in your price range (tube rolling can boost the cost but it sounds good with the standard tube). If you are set on discrete dac and amp the Schiit Magni and Modi are $99 each and may be worth reading up on.
- Entry level dac for sennheiser hd 598?
- › 2359glenn | studio 13 seconds ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 48 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 2 minutes ago
- › What book are you reading right now? 3 minutes ago
- › What DAC out of these three should I get? 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page latest FW download & general... 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Headphones by krishtrinity1
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by subwoof3r
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by lin0003
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by TheAfterEffect
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by eke2k6
- › ASUS Essence III by 00lunar
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)