- 47 Posts. Joined 5/2013
- Location: Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 7/21/13
Related Forum Threads
- Am I the only one who thinks the ATH-M50 are seriously overrated? Last post on 12/7/13 at 11:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Worth upgrading from Sennheiser HD 598 to Philips Fidelio X1's for gaming? Also, would an... Last post on 12/4/13 at 2:08pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best solution for me? Last post on 12/4/13 at 7:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD598 Last post on 12/7/13 at 1:21pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Sennheiser Momentum for FPS gaming? Last post on 12/7/13 at 1:57pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/6/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Coming from Tascam US-144 to Audio GD .. Here is the story. A few years ago I discovered the magic world of listening to headphones. The reason for that is the ease of computer hifi. I...
I will first start by declaring that I'm no audiophile, and that this is just a review coming from an average consumer. I know a lot of you will facepalm by my review, but I will post it...
The CAL! 2 is a big improvement over the first version. Creative brands this as a "premium headphone" on the box, but is it? First thing I noticed was the soundstage. It's MUCH better than...
As nicely explained by Victor in his review of the same CIEM, this is the previous flagship model from FitEar. In fact, unless you are married to the emphasised bass of the MH335DW, this would...
First of all, I am not a audiofile with several pairs of $1,000 headphones. I am more of a casual listener but I do like good sound. This is also my first review on head-fi so give me some feedback...
Entry level dac for sennheiser hd 598?post #1 of 147/20/13 at 8:37pmThread StarterI got a pair of sennheiser hd 598 for a grad/birthday gift combined. What is an entry dac I can buy that matches the hd 598 sound signature? I am looking to buy an amp as well. I live in Canada otherwise I would order a modi/magni combo. I am looking to spend $200 on the two of them.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 147/20/13 at 11:34pmQuote:Originally Posted by invrlose
I got a pair of sennheiser hd 598 for a grad/birthday gift combined. What is an entry dac I can buy that matches the hd 598 sound signature? I am looking to buy an amp as well. I live in Canada otherwise I would order a modi/magni combo. I am looking to spend $200 on the two of them.
Might help to know what source(s) the DAC (or DAC/amp) are going to be plugged into?post #3 of 147/20/13 at 11:56pmThread Starterpost #4 of 147/21/13 at 12:42amQuote:
An Asus Xonar DG internal sound card is only around $30 and is fairly decent at driving 50-Ohm Sennheiser HD5XX series headphones (I own the HD558s).
The Fiio E10 is an external USB/DAC/Amp ($65 USA), but I do not believe it offers audio quality any better then the Xonar DG.
Sound Blaster Z internal sound card , ($80 USA), better DAC and head amp, then the Xonar DG (and guessing better then the E10).
Fiio E17, external USB, optical, coaxial, DAC, head amp, ($110-$140 USA).
Can use the E17 with lots of different source(s) for driving the HD598s
Audioengine D1 external USB/optical, DAC, head amp. ($175 USA)
Runs off AC and can connect to USB and S/PDIF optical portspost #5 of 147/21/13 at 1:24amThread StarterSorry I guess I should have stated I'm only interested in buying a discrete dac and a discrete amp. Not a combo or sound card. My computer board doesn't have any slots for another card. I'm running triple gtx 680 lol.post #6 of 147/21/13 at 1:34amQuote:
I'm assuming your into FPS gaming (3 graphics cards).
If you want to be able to use the motherboard's on-board audio for Headphone Surround Sound, you would need to use a S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) connection between the motherboard and external DAC.
(USB will bypass on-board audio).
Off hand my brain is too tired to think anymore, back in 8 hours.post #7 of 147/21/13 at 1:37amThread StarterThe headphones are purely for music purposes I don't have intention on using then for gaming lol
I plan on going PC>USB Port>DAC>Amp>headphones>my ears>audial nerve>synapses in my brain to recognize sound
Sorry I've had a few lol.post #8 of 147/22/13 at 7:40amThread Starterpost #9 of 147/23/13 at 9:03pmThread Starterpost #10 of 147/23/13 at 11:16pm
DAC Destroyer USB DAC, might be able to get one off eBay for around $55, ships from Canada.
Ebay seller hotaudio40
PAV2V (Personal Amp. 2 Version 2) headphone amplifier, sells on eBay,
bids only, might get it for around $65
Ebay seller grans-arpost #11 of 147/24/13 at 3:59pmpost #12 of 147/24/13 at 9:35pmQuote:
If the laptop comes with a S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) output (to connect to the E17), then you get to use full audio featurespost #13 of 147/24/13 at 10:08pmQuote:
May I ask why you aren't interested in a combo? I listen to a wide range of music and find the Aune T1 hybrid dac/amp to be an excellent choice for driving the 598s little brother 558 (same driver). The Aune is a small package in your price range (tube rolling can boost the cost but it sounds good with the standard tube). If you are set on discrete dac and amp the Schiit Magni and Modi are $99 each and may be worth reading up on.
- Entry level dac for sennheiser hd 598?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Appreciation Thread 4 seconds ago
- › Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 1 minute ago
- › THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers) 1 minute ago
- › What book are you reading right now? 1 minute ago
- › Polishing the Sennheiser Amperior. A Finished Work Log. PIC Heavy 1 minute ago
- › ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread! 1 minute ago
- › Just received my Westone W2's 2 minutes ago
- › All-round Headphones for Indoor use <US$100 3 minutes ago
- › How Do You Carry Your Gear? 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd Master 9 Preamp & Headphone amp by staalf
- › Sennheiser Momentum by commodent
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by Quaresma
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Kiats
- › Monster iSport LIVESTRONG® In-Ear Headphones by Bassbanger101
- › Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation by Beeferer
- › Philips S2BK/28 Fidelio In-Ear Headsets by Antilochos
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi