- 65 Posts. Joined 5/2013
- Location: Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 7/20/13
Related Forum Threads
- HD 598 for vocals Last post on 5/21/15 at 5:23pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser HD650 Sub Bass Last post on 5/13/15 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- Something as comfy as Sennheiser's but with more bass? Last post on 3/4/15 at 8:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- Minimum amp requirement for AKG K702? Last post on 2/13/15 at 5:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best listening experience: iPod + AMP or new DAP? Last post on 2/12/15 at 9:57am in Portable Source Gear
Entry level dac for sennheiser hd 598?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I got a pair of sennheiser hd 598 for a grad/birthday gift combined. What is an entry dac I can buy that matches the hd 598 sound signature? I am looking to buy an amp as well. I live in Canada otherwise I would order a modi/magni combo. I am looking to spend $200 on the two of them.
Might help to know what source(s) the DAC (or DAC/amp) are going to be plugged into?
An Asus Xonar DG internal sound card is only around $30 and is fairly decent at driving 50-Ohm Sennheiser HD5XX series headphones (I own the HD558s).
The Fiio E10 is an external USB/DAC/Amp ($65 USA), but I do not believe it offers audio quality any better then the Xonar DG.
Sound Blaster Z internal sound card , ($80 USA), better DAC and head amp, then the Xonar DG (and guessing better then the E10).
Fiio E17, external USB, optical, coaxial, DAC, head amp, ($110-$140 USA).
Can use the E17 with lots of different source(s) for driving the HD598s
Audioengine D1 external USB/optical, DAC, head amp. ($175 USA)
Runs off AC and can connect to USB and S/PDIF optical ports
I'm assuming your into FPS gaming (3 graphics cards).
If you want to be able to use the motherboard's on-board audio for Headphone Surround Sound, you would need to use a S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) connection between the motherboard and external DAC.
(USB will bypass on-board audio).
Off hand my brain is too tired to think anymore, back in 8 hours.
I plan on going PC>USB Port>DAC>Amp>headphones>my ears>audial nerve>synapses in my brain to recognize sound
Sorry I've had a few lol.
DAC Destroyer USB DAC, might be able to get one off eBay for around $55, ships from Canada.
Ebay seller hotaudio40
PAV2V (Personal Amp. 2 Version 2) headphone amplifier, sells on eBay,
bids only, might get it for around $65
Ebay seller grans-ar
If the laptop comes with a S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) output (to connect to the E17), then you get to use full audio features
May I ask why you aren't interested in a combo? I listen to a wide range of music and find the Aune T1 hybrid dac/amp to be an excellent choice for driving the 598s little brother 558 (same driver). The Aune is a small package in your price range (tube rolling can boost the cost but it sounds good with the standard tube). If you are set on discrete dac and amp the Schiit Magni and Modi are $99 each and may be worth reading up on.
- Entry level dac for sennheiser hd 598?
- › Fiio E12 vs. JDS Labs C5 Amp 3 seconds ago
- › Asian music (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) 11 seconds ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE900 - Mint 1 minute ago
- › Mr Speakers Ether 1 minute ago
- › My DIY electrostatic headphones 1 minute ago
- › Which under-$100 USB DAC, from these choices? 1 minute ago
- › The Fiio X5 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Trying to find some nice crisp/clear/crystal clear heahphones 2 minutes ago
- › 🇬🇧 CanJam London 2015 Is Official! August 29-30, 2015! 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › Rhapsodio RD3 Hi-Fi Grade Dynamic In-Ear Monitor by Kunlun
- › Future Sonics Spectrum Series: G10 by Kunlun
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by Cotnijoe
- › Shure SE215 by KewStone
- › VSONIC GR07 by MRC001
- › Tube Amp LF-15 by ClieOS
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by goodyfresh
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by goodyfresh
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by snellemin
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by lin0003
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3