Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Portable Amp for the iPod Classic
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Portable Amp for the iPod Classic

Poll Results: Which amp brand should I be considering?

 
  • 9% (1)
    C&C
  • 27% (3)
    JDSLab
  • 0% (0)
    Venturecraft
  • 18% (2)
    ALO/Cypher Labs
  • 36% (4)
    Ray Samuel Audio
  • 9% (1)
    HeadAmp
11 Total Votes  
post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

Hello fellow Head-Fi'ers!

 

I have a fairly simple question to ask you all..it has probably been asked before, but I want a more updated answer. smile.gif

 

So here's the question: For an iPod Classic, what is a good portable headphone amp for it?

 

I've got a list below of the amps that I have seen people recommend, or ones that I am curious about:

  • C&C XO2 (Which I am considering)
  • JDSLab C5 (Getting mixed feelings on this one)
  • Venturecraft Go Dap X (Haven't looked deeply enough to know more about this one)
  • Clas/Rx combo (I see a lot of these, but not yet willing to spend $500+ on an amp/DAC combo, unless proven otherwise)
  • RSA Amps (Always see these around but have never looked into them)
  • HeadAmp Pico Power (Seen quite a few rigs with this)
  • No FiiO or Tralucent T1 please

 

I currently have the C&C BH, and I would prefer an amp or combo that has a clean sound that is not warm, nor too bright, just right, good separation, a quality bass response, great clarity and overall, a musical flowing feel.

 

My budget is around $300 so if you have any other suggestions around that price tag, please do suggest it to me!

 

The headphones/IEMs that I mainly wanting to be powering: V-Moda M-100 & T-Peos H-200.

 

Okay, that should be enough information for anyone willing to help me out!

 

I left a poll for those who are just dropping by, which could help me narrow down an amp if no one has any suggestions/advice/help.

 

Any help is appreciated and will be taken into consideration.

 

Cheers.


Edited by SkyBleu - 7/20/13 at 3:56am
post #2 of 18
I can voutch for the O2, it's an excellent and completely transparent headphone amplifier, with lots of power to spare. It's pretty large however, there is no bass boost (if you like that sort of thing), and I'm unclear on whether it has channel imbalance issues with highly sensitive IEMs.

I don't have first hand experience with the JDS Labs C5, but it strikes me as a no-BS amp. It has digital volume control with a jog wheel (which I wouldn't like, personally) that avoids channel imbalance issues. It also has a bass boost function, it's quite sexy, and JDS Labs is a reputable company.
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamp View Post

I can voutch for the O2, it's an excellent and completely transparent headphone amplifier, with lots of power to spare. It's pretty large however, there is no bass boost (if you like that sort of thing), and I'm unclear on whether it has channel imbalance issues with highly sensitive IEMs.

I don't have first hand experience with the JDS Labs C5, but it strikes me as a no-BS amp. It has digital volume control with a jog wheel (which I wouldn't like, personally) that avoids channel imbalance issues. It also has a bass boost function, it's quite sexy, and JDS Labs is a reputable company.

Ah, thanks for the contribution!

 

I've heard good things about the O2 actually, but the only factor that it lets me down in happens to be its size:\

 

I was considering the C5 after what I've read about its pairing with the M-100's and all, but have yet to confirm one that I want, so I thought I'd finalize my amp choice via the help of the fellow Head-Fi'ers:)

post #4 of 18
I mentionned JDS Labs because they strike me as NwAvGuy types, trusting proper engineering and rigorous testing with measurements over their own "golden ears". There is no other company that I would buy an amp from, except maybe Epiphany Acoustics (from which I bought my O2/ODAC).
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamp View Post

I mentionned JDS Labs because they strike me as NwAvGuy types, trusting proper engineering and rigorous testing with measurements over their own "golden ears". There is no other company that I would buy an amp from, except maybe Epiphany Acoustics (from which I bought my O2/ODAC).

Yup, I also see lots of other Head-Fi'ers getting good results from the measurements of the C5, but I still want other people's opinions on my other options.

post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
I guess it is best for me to notify those who saw this thread and participated in my poll, that I ended up going with the C5.

Its probably my cheapest option with high recommendations from all around the other threads.
post #7 of 18
Let us know how you like it!
post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
I'll have a review on it and let you guys know:)
post #9 of 18

I think you made a good choice.

post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheep View Post

I think you made a good choice.

Let's hope so too.
post #11 of 18

You also may want to consider one of those 3rd parties hard/semi-hard headphone case for it.

post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheep View Post

You also may want to consider one of those 3rd parties hard/semi-hard headphone case for it.

You mean the Pelican case?

I've considered one, but have yet to purchase one due to me finding a better use for the few bones to go there:)

Like an interconnect, haha
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBleu View Post

Like an interconnect, haha

Most decent cases are only ~$20 on Amazon, so you are not short on selection there.  What are you looking for in an interconnect?  If you only need a short 3.5mm to 3.5mm, then the one NuForce makes is decently good and cheap.

post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheep View Post

Most decent cases are only ~$20 on Amazon, so you are not short on selection there.  What are you looking for in an interconnect?  If you only need a short 3.5mm to 3.5mm, then the one NuForce makes is decently good and cheap.

Yes, will have to get one soon once I complete my rig for the C5 and my other soon-to-buy Mid-tier audio equipment:)

 

I've just recently bought a custom interconnect and LOD, but when I do have some more spare cash to spare, I shall grab a Pelican case.

post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBleu View Post

Yes, will have to get one soon once I complete my rig for the C5 and my other soon-to-buy Mid-tier audio equipment:)

 

I've just recently bought a custom interconnect and LOD, but when I do have some more spare cash to spare, I shall grab a Pelican case.

This is what I am taking about, and it's $6.

 

http://www.amazon.com/Nuforce-Transient-Cable-Performance-Stereo/dp/B003WREJ6Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374569904&sr=8-1&keywords=nuforce+cable

 

Case wise I think this will be better, as sometimes you want a case with a bit of give to lessen the impact and not to have your headphone get knocked around inside the case.

 

http://www.amazon.com/Slappa-SL-HP-01-Headphone-Case-Black/dp/B001U88XJQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1374569985&sr=8-3&keywords=M-50+headphone+case

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Portable Amp for the iPod Classic